Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Hope you feel better real soon

The dedication of some of the Dogsey members is truely an inspiration, but I have to say if I was too ill to walk Pip and T, they wouldn't get walked!
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2007, 02:52 AM
I too live alone, and if I'm not feeling on top of things, I tell my dog "short walk".

We usually take off in one direction when I'm feeling well, but if I tell her "short walk", we take off in the other.

She's not expected to walk at "heel" on a short walk - really just a sniff and see who'se been there sort of thing.

I do try to stimulate her by extra indoor exercise - fetch up and down the hall. I've also found it a good time to teach her new tricks - the ones I can do from a chair.

Got a good size yard and have taught her that zoom means to run about like crazy!

Thankfully, I'm not out of action too often, because I miss the walks too.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies and ideas.
I don't feel so evil now for not being able to walk them.

Willow is quite happy to lounge around, but everytime I move Archie is up and raring to go.

I'm only out of bed now and aching from head to toe, can't believe how bad I feel. My eldest girl got up for a half hour this morning and went back to bed, she's still there now ans that's so not like her. Youngest is plonked infront of the telly and throwing the dogs their toys occasionally. :smt001

To top it off one (?) of the dogs was sick a few times during the night.... but both seem fine so not sure which. Never rains but it pours!
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Fever or no fever; headake or no headacke ill or not. every day morning and evening rain, snow or sunshine even with a broken ribs and wrist i take them for a walk.
Greetings

Johan
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Fever or no fever; headake or no headacke ill or not. every day morning and evening rain, snow or sunshine even with a broken ribs and wrist i take them for a walk.
Greetings

Johan
That's all great if you can manage it.
But when you are feeling as ill as I am, plus two young sick children, one of which can't make it from her bed to the loo on her own without passing out; I think a walk for all of us is out of the question.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
That's all great if you can manage it.
But when you are feeling as ill as I am, plus two young sick children, one of which can't make it from her bed to the loo on her own without passing out; I think a walk for all of us is out of the question.
Thats completely understable. its different dragging yourself out of a sick bed to forcing your children to do the same & you can't leave them.

I can't see that it will do the dogs any harm in the short term as long as they are getting out in the garden & having some play/stimulation. Just think how much they will enjoy a walk when you do get to go out.
In the meantime, hope you and your children are over the worst.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm single so unless I'm feeling really bad, mine get a walk. However mine are happy with my company so although they love their walks, they also enjoy their cuddles on the sofa too. One loves it under the duvet. There was a time a couple of years ago where I had glandular fever and a lung infection. Off work for three months. THankfully a kind neighbour helped me out as anyone that has suffered it knows how hard it is even to get out of bed.
At the end of the day, don't beat yourself up about it. It's far better you rest. The more you rest, the quicker you will get better and be back out there with them again. It must be bad enough, feeling ill yourself and still trying to look after two ill children. It doesn't make you a bad dog owner just because they miss the odd walk, just as it wouldn't make you a martyr going out in your condition. Just concentrate on getting better.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks Guys. :smt001
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3