View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cassie mac
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Can I buy advocate for suspected lungworm from a vets without them seeing my dog firs

Hi, i think my elderly cross lab has either kennel cough, or maybe lungworm as she is showing symptems of retching sort of cough and is sometimes breathless, although she is eating normally and some days seems worse than others. She has had the cough for about three weeks now, and sometimes growls quietly as if maybe in some pain and doesn't want to go out. other days she seems more lively. just wondered if i can buy advocate from a vets without appointment. thanks
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
TBH the vet will want to see the dog before prescribing any medicine unless is pre-existing.

with her being older I think it would be best that you get her an appointment at the vets. my dog (11 yrs) was very poorly with kennel cough. i dont have any experience of lung worm, but i know this can be serious.

just to be on the safe said give your vets a call and get an appointment.

Hope you get her sorted out.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by cassie mac View Post
Hi, i think my elderly cross lab has either kennel cough, or maybe lungworm as she is showing symptems of retching sort of cough and is sometimes breathless, although she is eating normally and some days seems worse than others. She has had the cough for about three weeks now, and sometimes growls quietly as if maybe in some pain and doesn't want to go out. other days she seems more lively. just wondered if i can buy advocate from a vets without appointment. thanks
I don't think you can get it without prescription, but I think you would be better off taking her to the vets to be on the safe side.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Advocate is prescription-only and I don't know of a vet that would prescribe a medication without seeing the animal - not sure if they even can, legally (maybe in exceptional circumstances, not sure )
I'd say it is very important to see a vet though. Lungworm can be fatal so please don't take any risks, and if your dog is in pain then she may need pain relief as well as treatment for the condition.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I would make an appointment with your vet asap to be honest. The vet can give you a definite diagnosis as to what your dog is suffering from, rather than you trying to medicate for what you *think* might be wrong.

A cough like that, especially in an elderly dog, could be a heart issue.

Please get an appointment with your vet, and let us know how you get on.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
A vet appointment is necessary IMO, these symtoms could be any amount of things including a heart problem. You would be very upset if you give her the wrong stuff and cause more pain.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
My vet will only prescribe medicines if the dog has been seen in the last 3 months.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Also please don't be tempted to order Advocate online from anywhere that sells it without a veterinary prescription. This is not legal - many companies will base themselves abroad where they can legally get hold of the product and then ship it to the UK, but then it is you as the "importer" of the product who is breaking the law. Not only is it illegal to do this, but often these companies won't actually provide you with the medication you've ordered - at best, it could be out of date products or generic brands that aren't effective, or worst case they could be fakes that could seriously harm or even kill your dog. You then have no recourse because you've aquired the medication illegally.