Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It isn't safe to use the collar in the crate, in the kennels or overnight either.

You could end up with a very screwed up dog.

I have read your list of qualifications and I am even more amazed that you considered using the collar for this.

Does it happen in the crate?? At 8mths I would want to look objectively at the whole lifestyle and relationships if that is so.

rune
It would not be conducted in a crate, kennel or overnight! A citronella collar is not to be worn permanently! It would not be a constant punisher. I am talking about a remote collar.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
OP here!
Just to clear up some assumptions...

No decisions have been made whether to use a citronella collar or not. Apparently according to some, I have made my mind up on my first post.

My puppy is 8 months old and is of a solid disposition, not at all nervous.

If people are frustrated by my 'lack of effort', they have no idea.

He had been on three different brands of food. And each time the new food was slowly introduced.

The 'leave' command and games are all very well when I am around but in the real world I can not be watching him all the time. Life gets in the way.

I have another dog.

It is not safe to muzzle a dog overnight, in a crate or whilst at the kennels.

If I had to use a citronella collar it would be for this type of behaviour where it is one dog, one behaviour and usually occurs away from the handler. I certainly wouldn't use one for Dog/Dog aggression where the aversive connotation could be perceived to be the other dog. Also the other dog (stooge) is often mistakenly punished by the fumes of the citronella.

It is an interesting debate.
If the poo eating occurs when you're away from your dog, how on earth can you be sure that everytime your dog eats poo, it gets a squirt? You've mentioned activating the collar from an upstairs window, but that relies on you watching your dog all the time & being sure, from a distance, that he's actually eating poo. What if he's just sniffing somethimg? What if he does it when you're not loking? What if he does it when you're out, or at night?

It seems to me that you would only be able to use the collar at certain specific times, when you were available to set it up & then watch your dog. As you say, life gets in the way! It would be very hit & miss, very confusing for your puppy, to the extent that I'm not sure he'd learn anything! And what about if he only eats poo when he's not wearing the collar? As you say, it's not safe to leave them with the collar on, so how long do you think it would be before he made an association between collar & poo eating?!!
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
If the poo eating occurs when you're away from your dog, how on earth can you be sure that everytime your dog eats poo, it gets a squirt? You've mentioned activating the collar from an upstairs window, but that relies on you watching your dog all the time & being sure, from a distance, that he's actually eating poo. What if he's just sniffing somethimg? What if he does it when you're not loking? What if he does it when you're out, or at night?

It seems to me that you would only be able to use the collar at certain specific times, when you were available to set it up & then watch your dog. As you say, life gets in the way! It would be very hit & miss, very confusing for your puppy, to the extent that I'm not sure he'd learn anything! And what about if he only eats poo when he's not wearing the collar? As you say, it's not safe to leave them with the collar on, so how long do you think it would be before he made an association between collar & poo eating?!!
I did not mention that.

The idea of the Citronella Collar is to not have to use it constantly. If that was the case then it wouldn't be working would it? It is an aversive and aversives should leave a lasting impression. It should create a conditioned response.

If I did use it, I would orchestrate situations. It's really not difficult as it's a dead a cert that he will eat it especially if I am out of the way and not requesting a leave. A tight period of time can be managed better.

To use it like you suggested would be utterly confusing to the dog. It would really be quite simple to set up. Far easier than a Dog/Dog aggression case.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... could also live in an oxygen tent with your dog

.. its also why u vacinate h
Yes, and I could also let her play out in the road couldn't I, if I was that way inclined????? Just as dangerous imo!

Most of the dogs who contract parvo HAVE been vaccinated, Iknow that coz my vet told me, your boss might say different, but different area than mine, it's pretty rife around my neck of the woods, just that they SOMETIMES pull through when they've been vaccinated.

When it is a known fact that campylo bacta is contracted from eating red meat contaminated with feaces, then I won't eat that steak thankyou! Same applies to my dog, if parvo virus is contracted from the bacteria IN dog's faeces, then it's probably best that my dog doesn't eat anybody else's imo!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:03 PM
It would not be conducted in a crate, kennel or overnight! A citronella collar is not to be worn permanently! It would not be a constant punisher. I am talking about a remote collar.
Oh blimey---I know you are but you are assuming that it will become a generalised behaviour----have you ever used one before?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:06 PM
For the most part he is fine. Occasionally he has an accident. he gets an upset stomach How? Probably by eating faeces.
Back to square one.
Interesting----dogs I know who do it DON'T eat it second time round.

Again I'd look at all the circumstances and the relationships.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I did not mention that.

The idea of the Citronella Collar is to not have to use it constantly. If that was the case then it wouldn't be working would it? It is an aversive and aversives should leave a lasting impression. It should create a conditioned response.

If I did use it, I would orchestrate situations. It's really not difficult as it's a dead a cert that he will eat it especially if I am out of the way and not requesting a leave. A tight period of time can be managed better.

To use it like you suggested would be utterly confusing to the dog. It would really be quite simple to set up. Far easier than a Dog/Dog aggression case.
Most dogs are not stupid and know when the collar is off and on. I know someone who uses e-collars for her dogs for humping and poo eating (don't get me started on that) and the dogs revert right back to doing it when they are not wearing them. They only mask the problem rather than cure it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Just thought about your reply---do you really think anyone is stupid enough to think there is a collar that will go off when the dog eats without someone setting it off?

LOL to that!

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, and I could also let her play out in the road couldn't I, if I was that way inclined????? Just as dangerous imo!

Most of the dogs who contract parvo HAVE been vaccinated, Iknow that coz my vet told me, your boss might say different, but different area than mine, it's pretty rife around my neck of the woods, just that they SOMETIMES pull through when they've been vaccinated.

When it is a known fact that campylo bacta is contracted from eating red meat contaminated with feaces, then I won't eat that steak thankyou! Same applies to my dog, if parvo virus is contracted from the bacteria IN dog's faeces, then it's probably best that my dog doesn't eat anybody else's imo!
oh h you got my post wrong soz bout that

eta..... i dont have a boss lol
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
Gun dogs, scent hounds are well known for doing this gross behaviour, but if i can reduce it with a whoosh of air whats the difference with you shouting leave and permanetley on their case. The dog does not no where its coming from, at no point does the dog know its coming from you, and thats why it works, because the dog can only recognise the spray with the the poo.
My dog is a retriever and I would not want to discourage her from investigating and retrieving naturally. A spray colllar inhibiting her instinct to seek out and pick up may well discourage her and cause her to lose confidence when it is necessary for her to be bold. I also want her to only listen to my commands and to stop/return when told to do so. I am no expert but it is partly for these reasons that I would not use a cintronella collar. I want her to remain confident and willing to pick up and carry/retrieve reliably and on her own initiative. I don't want her to expect a "squirt" of something unpleasant when she goes to investigate.

It maybe that the picking up and carrying instinct is partly the reason why so many gundogs (and other breeds) are attracted to poo and other unsavoury things. My dog is also a bitch and I noticed a distinct acceleration in her poo eating behaviour after she had had pups and cleaned up after them.

It is also interesting to me that she never eats her own poo - she is quite fastidious about where she goes as well. Some dogs poo probably has residual nutrients which have not been digested and this also makes it attractive, but again she is selective in which poo she wants to eat, so there must be something in the poo to account for why she finds it attractive.

Looks like I will have to put up with poo eating on occasions even though I don't like her doing it
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »