Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lleonder
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2007, 04:44 PM

To bath or Not to bath???

Hi all
I'm looking for some advice on grooming. My Leo is due to go to Crufts next week but sadly is quite out of coat. I'm still taking her as I've seen much worse been shown and as I've been told coat is only part of it. Anyway I've been getting conflicting advice on whether to bath her or just spruce her up. Normally I always give her a bath before a big show but I'm scared it will cause the little coat she has left to fall out and she'll end up worse.
Any idea's welcome.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Personally I'd bath her now so the oils get a chance to get back into her coat before her big day. The bath could help remove the dead coat and promote new growth. At least the judge wont be going over a dirty dog lol!
Becky
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't have a shred of advice I'm afraid. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck xx
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Would you consider taking her to the dog groomers for such a special ocasion?
Best of luck
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I would get her bathed this weekend and keep her clean. I would rather go over a clean, nice smelling dog rather than a dirty one with coat (not saying yours is smelly )
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by lleonder View Post
Hi all
I'm looking for some advice on grooming. My Leo is due to go to Crufts next week but sadly is quite out of coat. I'm still taking her as I've seen much worse been shown and as I've been told coat is only part of it. Anyway I've been getting conflicting advice on whether to bath her or just spruce her up. Normally I always give her a bath before a big show but I'm scared it will cause the little coat she has left to fall out and she'll end up worse.
Any idea's welcome.
Hi there
First off let me sympathise with you, why is it they always blow their coats right before a 'big' show?
What I have done in the past - as long as the dog is clean overall - is just wash the 'furnishings' i.e tail, leg feathers, and neck and underbelly, leaving the top line alone. If the coats loose then it really is best to get it all out but if it will hold for another week then I leave it alone. If she hasn't much of a coat to speak of, then I would give it a good blasting with the dryer getting any loose hair/dust out.
I'm hoping to bath mine this weekend, then a quick spruce over on thursday and a final blasting when I get up in the wee small hours on friday (hoping I don't wake the rest of the family ) I'm also hoping that as she finished her season last week, she doesn't decide to blow her coat now
Good luck for next week
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 12:23 AM
iv no advice either but good luck
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by leospride View Post
Hi there
I'm also hoping that as she finished her season last week, she doesn't decide to blow her coat now
Good luck for next week
Fingers crossed for you my dear!!!

I think if it were me as said above I would just do the necessaries (as long as she isn't too mucky overall) wish I could get away with that with my mucky crew

Good luck at Crufts all!
Dudley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I do the same as Leospride....BUT if the coat is loose and coming out, then its better to take it out. Then a bath and good blast can work wonders. Mine are ready for their scrub next week, its poor me who needs a make over!!!!

or a miracle!!!
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Mine are ready for their scrub next week, its poor me who needs a make over!!!!

or a miracle!!!
Oh how true is that!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >