Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 05:52 PM

Chappie

Anyone feed their dog this?

Is it a dog food of the past or are there much healthier varieties available these days?

My friend swears by Chappie, and gave me a can of it to let Georgie try it...OMG the smell of it is distgusting! Georgie ate 3 mouthfuls, then left it. It looks very bulked up with cereals to me.....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Personally, I don't feed it. However, my Dad used to feed our Pekinese dogs on it and they were fine. It's pretty bland so it's not bad if a dog has an upset tum.
However, I guess whatever suits your dog is what's the right thing to feed. I think Georgie has already let you know his feelings on the matter
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 09:29 PM
IVE NEVER FED MINE ON IT BUT HAVE TRIED THEM ON BUTCHERS TRIPE ITS GLUTEN TOLERANCE FREE AND FREE FROM ALL ADDITIVES THEY SEEMED TO LIKE IT
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2006, 09:45 PM
My g-grandparents, g-gran still with us at eighty-grandad died few years back, had Rough Collies, Working Pointers (english) and bitza's for years and years..allways fed chappie and swore by it, their dogs all lived to ripe ages and were never at the vet, in many cases not once in their lives.
As Vicki said, its down to the individual dog, Florrie Loves it yet Ralph turns his nose up in disgust.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I have fed it in the past but when the dogs were poorly recently the vet recommended it.

I have to say they loved it and I've bought some more since, even Bradley enjoyed a good spoonful on his meals.

It is one of those things that I will keep in the cupboard from now on.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I use it, it is particularly good for Dalmatians who are intolerant to anything with high purine levels, and in Dalmatian Welfare it was recommended for dogs in poor condition. I use it as a top up to the complete as Deccy is a fussy eater.
As for being old fashioned - dogs are still dogs ..... Swan vesta's were invented over 100 years ago I think and they still do the job I am increasingly fed up (no pun intended ) by more and more "new" foods being brought out. I am not aware that the canine digestive system has evolved radically over the past 10 years but by the hard marketing of certain foods it does make you wonder. Or am I missing something?
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Chappie is an excellent food for most dogs. My vet recommends it in particular for dogs with poor digestion. My previous dogs all thrived on it, but my current belgie doesnt like it, so she gets Butchers tripe - another good canned food. The lab I often look after, which will eat anything, also thrives on chappie, which is her main diet.
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2006, 11:51 PM
My last dog, a border collie, used to have it and it suited him just fine. He had colitus so we had to be careful of what he ate....Chappie was recommended by the vet and he did very well on it and lived to 15 years of age!
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Many thanks for your great comments.

Looks like Chappie is a good food for dogs with upset tummys and digestive problems. It does say on the tin that it is easily digestable.

I would like to feed it to Georgie, but he has shown me his thoughts on that one

It seems to be made up of a lot of bulk and cereals though, and the smell is worse than any other tinned dog food I've ever smelt!
Snowangel
New Member!
Female 

30-12-2006, 02:40 AM
They do two varieties in the tins. The fish one which I think is the one that you have and is pretty pongy. The other is chicken and rice and you should be able to get it in any of your larger supermarkets such as Sainsburys, Tescos etc. They also do the two kinds in dry food form so that could be an option.

We had Boxers with Colitis in the past and the vet recommended it for them and as said above they thrived on it for years. It was hard to get here then - had to have it imported especially for our dogs!! Now as I say its common place for the supermarkets to store it. Much handier.

Angel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >