Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well, I consider there's moral support, and then there's banging your head on a brick wall sometimes? Plus the fact that by the end of one of these threads nothing seems to add up I know myself, it's absolutely impossible to turn around a dog that has been destined "by a trainer" to be pts because nothing is working with him, and yet within days, he's had a miraculous turnaround and is once again the perfect dog, just like he has been in every other thread BY THE END OF IT!!!!

I stopped coming into these Woody threads because I saw red when a hyperactive YOUNG working springer puppy (a dog which I would never be able to cope with myself, and would never consider for a first time dog either, but hey ho) is given solitary confinement for 3 days a week on the trot, day and night, with a break for lunch and maybe a break during the EVENINGS (just so we get that bit right for fear of getting it wrong like before ). On top of that, I have never heard of any morning walks??? Why is that then? I've only heard about the Friday night walks to the pub with friends and the week-ends, so I got to thinking exactly WHY this poor young boistrous puppy is showing the signs that he is, eating the walls to escape his imprisonment, and biting his owners out of sheer frustration that he's not being listened to. THEN, when I see a post stating that A TRAINER, HER TRAINER, has suggested tying this poor little mite up to a radiator to try and calm him down, then that just took the biscuit for me, and do you know something else??? I had to Google that, because I couldn't quite get my head around it, and do you know where the ONLY place I found it was??? ON THE R.S.P.C.A. WEBSITE! YES, the RSPCA website, so it would seem that my fears are well founded!! We won't go into the fact that this little puppy is also not allowed to do his business out in the garden,no, he has to use a designated 2sq foot of litter tray out there, and wo betide him if he fancies a pee anywhere else, even though in his mind he is doing it right, because he's actually outside!!!

Would you consider shutting your 16yr. old teenager in his room for 3 SOLID DAYS??? I think not! Woody is the equivalent of a 16 yr. at approaching one year old, so yes, it would be the same as doing this. I don't think you'd have much of a house left afterwards do you??

No, something definitely doesn't add up for me here I'm afraid, so once again, I shall be hitting my "ignore" button and "poof" she's gone, but that won't stop me thinking or worrying about the welfare of a poor, misunderstood little springer guy!

I only do support when it's appreciated, not when it's thrown back in yer face coz you just so happened to misunderstand a few words that were written, when in all honestly, night is night to me, so if she meant during the evening,she should have typed that in the first place!

And another thing whilst I'm on a roll! I don't for one minute think ANY behaviourist worth their salt would recommend tying a young puppy up to a radiator, NO, I think this was HER idea, so she thought she'd say that, just to get some feedback on whether or not she should do that, so he could be out of her way, out of her hair, and she could enjoy her evening with her new husband - in which case, why get a dog in the first place then??? Why not get a middle aged rescue dog which would more than suit their current situation, he'd be well behaved, out of the way laying down in the evenings, be able to cope with being crated or left alone in the house all day? No, she wanted this springer spaniel coz it would look good with the Hunter wellies hanging out the back of the 4x4 living in Oxford and gallavanting around farmer's new crops of green wheat (notice the pics????).Now I've said it all, it's all off my chest, and I'm hitting that button, to get back my sanity!!!!

Well I for one am sticking up for Helena here

1. she has had the b**ls to say how she feels.

2. nobody can be more supportive on Dogsey like Helena.

3. Helena, like a lot of others, have tried and tried to help Em with Woody.

4. and what does she do? says I am only listening to my trainer and behaviourist Well thank you and good nigt

Elaine x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Well you sure ain't going the right way about it ! With respect Helenas post is unnecessarily personal and near the knuckle. I think you will find a lot of people on here keep their opinions to themselves for fear of responses like that. I say what i think but theres no way i would ever speak to someone like that and others i have seen on here, its just plain nasty.

Personally speaking if it were me i would be listening to the professionals - after thats what they are isn't it "professional" - what makes anyone on here think they can give better advice ? as i said you can give advice but its not compulsory that people heed it. I think what was wanted in this case was a bit of empathy and support not a lecture.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Well, I consider there's moral support, and then there's banging your head on a brick wall sometimes? Plus the fact that by the end of one of these threads nothing seems to add up I know myself, it's absolutely impossible to turn around a dog that has been destined "by a trainer" to be pts because nothing is working with him, and yet within days, he's had a miraculous turnaround and is once again the perfect dog, just like he has been in every other thread BY THE END OF IT!!!!

I stopped coming into these Woody threads because I saw red when a hyperactive YOUNG working springer puppy (a dog which I would never be able to cope with myself, and would never consider for a first time dog either, but hey ho) is given solitary confinement for 3 days a week on the trot, day and night, with a break for lunch and maybe a break during the EVENINGS (just so we get that bit right for fear of getting it wrong like before ). On top of that, I have never heard of any morning walks??? Why is that then? I've only heard about the Friday night walks to the pub with friends and the week-ends, so I got to thinking exactly WHY this poor young boistrous puppy is showing the signs that he is, eating the walls to escape his imprisonment, and biting his owners out of sheer frustration that he's not being listened to. THEN, when I see a post stating that A TRAINER, HER TRAINER, has suggested tying this poor little mite up to a radiator to try and calm him down, then that just took the biscuit for me, and do you know something else??? I had to Google that, because I couldn't quite get my head around it, and do you know where the ONLY place I found it was??? ON THE R.S.P.C.A. WEBSITE! YES, the RSPCA website, so it would seem that my fears are well founded!! We won't go into the fact that this little puppy is also not allowed to do his business out in the garden,no, he has to use a designated 2sq foot of litter tray out there, and wo betide him if he fancies a pee anywhere else, even though in his mind he is doing it right, because he's actually outside!!!

Would you consider shutting your 16yr. old teenager in his room for 3 SOLID DAYS??? I think not! Woody is the equivalent of a 16 yr. at approaching one year old, so yes, it would be the same as doing this. I don't think you'd have much of a house left afterwards do you??

No, something definitely doesn't add up for me here I'm afraid, so once again, I shall be hitting my "ignore" button and "poof" she's gone, but that won't stop me thinking or worrying about the welfare of a poor, misunderstood little springer guy!

I only do support when it's appreciated, not when it's thrown back in yer face coz you just so happened to misunderstand a few words that were written, when in all honestly, night is night to me, so if she meant during the evening,she should have typed that in the first place!

And another thing whilst I'm on a roll! I don't for one minute think ANY behaviourist worth their salt would recommend tying a young puppy up to a radiator, NO, I think this was HER idea, so she thought she'd say that, just to get some feedback on whether or not she should do that, so he could be out of her way, out of her hair, and she could enjoy her evening with her new husband - in which case, why get a dog in the first place then??? Why not get a middle aged rescue dog which would more than suit their current situation, he'd be well behaved, out of the way laying down in the evenings, be able to cope with being crated or left alone in the house all day? No, she wanted this springer spaniel coz it would look good with the Hunter wellies hanging out the back of the 4x4 living in Oxford and gallavanting around farmer's new crops of green wheat (notice the pics????).Now I've said it all, it's all off my chest, and I'm hitting that button, to get back my sanity!!!!
041: An excellent post!!!! and very well written.

It seems some of us are beginning to pick the makings of a pattern up here..maybe if others took the time to research, they will see why some are losing a little patience.

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post

Maybe Pidge was having a real bad day the day she posted that thread and over those six days got the situation into perspective and realised things weren't so bad.
Was the behaviourist /trainer also having one of these negative /bad days...

As it was not Pidge that was suggesting Woody being PTS , she was repeating what she had been told..

So what sort of professional suggests a dog be PTS , yet it is miraculously "cured" in a matter of days...

Something else is puzzling me... Pidge said in one of the posts.. that she is getting "advice" from the behaviourist at the PDSA.........

A question ??? is this behaviourist actually coming to the home to see ands work with him in his own enviroment... or is it (as I read it) just asking them while she is at work for advice..rather like on here.

And another point, maybe the behaviourist/trainer is adding to Pigdes mood changes regarding Woody... if they are giving such conflicting advice from day to day.. no wonder she feels she is "overloaded" with emotions
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I stopped coming into these Woody threads because I saw red when a hyperactive YOUNG working springer puppy (a dog which I would never be able to cope with myself, and would never consider for a first time dog either, but hey ho) is given solitary confinement for 3 days a week on the trot, day and night, with a break for lunch and maybe a break during the EVENINGS (just so we get that bit right for fear of getting it wrong like before ). On top of that, I have never heard of any morning walks??? Why is that then? I've only heard about the Friday night walks to the pub with friends and the week-ends
OMG a dog owner that works!! How outrageous!!

My poor, deprived dogs are shut in my kitchen for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They are high-energy dogs, a well-known difficult/boisterous breed.

Some mornings we don't have a walk - I don't have time. Some evenings we don't have a walk - I've got other things to do.

In fact, my dogs haven't technically been 'walked' for a week. Shoot me.

This has nothing to do with Woody's problems. Each owner/family has their own routine. Those people lucky enough not to have to work, or able to work part time, will be able to do things that I can't.

Are we now into dictating what kind of dog a first time dog owner can have? No, sorry, no Springers, Boxers, Border Collies etc. until you've owned 2 dogs for a minimum of 4 years... I doubt it!!

We've all had days/weeks/months with our dogs when nothing goes right. When they seem to do things just to spite you! When they take exception to every dog walking past them, or raid the bin for the 7th time.

There have been times when I've been so cross with my 2, after something they've done, that I've locked them in the kitchen all night (rather than being with us in the rest of the house). No, it's not right, but I've done it, and the dogs have been none the wiser.

As several people have said, if you don't want to read it, then don't. No one is forcing you to read, comment and come back and do it again. If you feel you can't keep a civil tongue in a thread - don't post!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Personally, I don't give a monkey's whether or not she takes any of my advice, all that concerns me, are the facts I've seen on here about what that poor dog has had to go through! IMO it's just not right to put this young puppy through what he has been through, especially that crate (yes, I know she SAYS it's gone now, but nevertheless he did go through solitary for 3 subsequent days and nights at a time in it!) At the end of which he had a death sentence over his head, but that too, has now gone! It's all doing my head in, none of it adds up, imo it's not normal, and that tying up business was the last straw for me, plus the way she's always come back at me for "allegedly" reading her post wrong! I don't have the time for people who don't know what they want, I only have time for animals going through a rough time of it, which this poor dog IMO has been! Oh, but then, it's all different now isn't it, silly old me, I forgot, he's once again just perfect, all in an instant, without any help from anybody!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Personally, I don't give a monkey's whether or not she takes any of my advice, all that concerns me, are the facts I've seen on here about what that poor dog has had to go through! IMO it's just not right to put this young puppy through what he has been through, especially that crate (yes, I know she SAYS it's gone now, but nevertheless he did go through solitary for 3 subsequent days and nights at a time in it!) At the end of which he had a death sentence over his head, but that too, has now gone! It's all doing my head in, none of it adds up, imo it's not normal, and that tying up business was the last straw for me, plus the way she's always come back at me for "allegedly" reading her post wrong! I don't have the time for people who don't know what they want, I only have time for animals going through a rough time of it, which this poor dog IMO has been! Oh, but then, it's all different now isn't it, silly old me, I forgot, he's once again just perfect, all in an instant, without any help from anybody!
Don't read the posts/threads then!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Gosh - how dare she reply to peoples resopnses And people reposnd back...shocking!

Come on...please. If people truely feel like this then why respond to the "attention seeker".
Exactly Tassle, that's why I said a while back that it looked like sour grapes. And now it's come out - yes people are p'd off that they gave Pidge advice/attention but she is taking advice from her behaviourist only.

So what??????? The advice everyone gave is there for everyone to read so it's not like it was wasted time. There are lots of others who can benefit from the posts on here.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
OMG a dog owner that works!! How outrageous!!

My poor, deprived dogs are shut in my kitchen for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They are high-energy dogs, a well-known difficult/boisterous breed.

Some mornings we don't have a walk - I don't have time. Some evenings we don't have a walk - I've got other things to do.

In fact, my dogs haven't technically been 'walked' for a week. Shoot me.

This has nothing to do with Woody's problems. Each owner/family has their own routine. Those people lucky enough not to have to work, or able to work part time, will be able to do things that I can't.

Are we now into dictating what kind of dog a first time dog owner can have? No, sorry, no Springers, Boxers, Border Collies etc. until you've owned 2 dogs for a minimum of 4 years... I doubt it!!

We've all had days/weeks/months with our dogs when nothing goes right. When they seem to do things just to spite you! When they take exception to every dog walking past them, or raid the bin for the 7th time.

There have been times when I've been so cross with my 2, after something they've done, that I've locked them in the kitchen all night (rather than being with us in the rest of the house). No, it's not right, but I've done it, and the dogs have been none the wiser.

As several people have said, if you don't want to read it, then don't. No one is forcing you to read, comment and come back and do it again. If you feel you can't keep a civil tongue in a thread - don't post!
Your dogs are not working springers and are NOT 6 month old puppies!!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:20 AM
No, but Max was locked in our garage 8 hours a day from being 3 months old (to 18 months old) .... we couldn't keep him in the house when we first got him...

My dogs are certainly as mental as a working springer, 'cept they don't have a working drive, they are just non-stop.

I suspect you could replace 'working springer' with any number of high energy/dependent breeds - BC's, Boxers, Labradors, Wiem's, Dallies... and they'd exhibit they same traits/symptoms if they weren't handled correctly.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Woody is 8 months.
Closed Thread
Page 43 of 44 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 >