Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 10:40 PM

What a Day

I'm currently fostering an Akbash/Kuvasz mix who has some issues due to his past. He was abused then surrendered to a shelter as a "stray" by his owner. Then he got adopted out but got returned shortly after for his behaviours. He then sat at the shelter for almost 4 months. This poor boy is only just over a year old.

Anyways, needless to say he's got some things I need to work with him to correct before being able to be adopted.

One of his issues is his fear of the floors (I have laminate) so for about a month he wouldn't walk around unless there were towels, a mat and his beds laying around the kitchen. Then one day (not too long ago), he just walks out of his crate like nothing, with no more fear of the floors. But he's still nervous of the floors in the dog room (formerly the living room, lol).

So I had the gate to the kitchen open so he could investigate the new room and I had Hank in there to keep him some company. He ran through the room and jumped up on the couch on top of Hank. Poor Hank. I am so grateful Hank's got a long fuse. He just told him off a little and moved over. So Ivan's sitting on the couch stressed out by the floors. He wants to get off the couch but is too afraid. I needed to take a shower so I put Hank back into the living room and left Ivan in hopes of him realizing it's the same floor and get over it.

I get out of the shower and I smell something fowl and see that Ivan left me a present ON the couch, his poop.

Sigh...what a day.

egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2013, 12:01 AM
He looks gorgeous. You going to keep him?????

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Here's a video that may help with the slippy floor issue.

http://dogmantics.com/2010/04/04/kik...cker-training/
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-03-2013, 10:19 AM
What a lovely dog and well done to you for taking him in, I just can't abide people who abuse dogs.

Everything I've read says that it does take time for a dog like this to 'forget' his past, you just need to be patient and take little steps.

Wishing you all the best with him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2013, 10:23 AM
At least it was a leather couch and not a cloth one! Well done you for helping this dog.

Aren't they funny? Bella wouldn't walk on grass when we first got over to the UK. Viewed it with great mistrust. I do wonder if it is the 'scampering' noise their claws make on hard shiny floors that disturbs them? Of course here in Cyprus you hardly ever see any other floors than tiled so they don't have much option.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi I am in a simlar position with 7mth old Belgian Terv,though I know why she has issues,I have known the breeder for many years and I have one of her puppies who is now 6 years old,she is the Auntie.This breeder,had a litter of puppies but she interviewa all prospective owners,but the ones who took this puppy was not completely honest,anyway they mentioned that they did have another dog,but it was glossed over,the dog they had was a french mastiff,it started bullying the puppy and as they left the puppy alone when they went to work with this dog.A relative notice the pup wasnt thriving,and took it upon herself to return the dog to the breeder.The breeder wanted to rehome it,but was worried,we usually talk once a month,and when she told me,without even thinking about it offered it a home,but it has issues with the car floors and food, doesnt play if you throw a ball it is scared and goes and hide.All we can do is persevere and work with each fear,but its a slow process,the other day when we returned from being out she normally hides and Holly greets us,but for the first time she was there her tail wagging,I just burst into tears,so it is worth it,she is gradually getting better so hang on in there.crystalgirl
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Yuk not what you want on the sofa

Timber Paw wax may help with your problem...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_53haw80fjb_b