Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by iwlass
Molo slept in the kitchen from the outset - he is not allowed upstairs so being in our room was not an option; but for the first night I slept next to his crate, and then the next few nights I slept in the adjoining room.

After that I moved back upstairs, but we used a baby monitor to ensure I could hear him whining to go out

Based on the different stories I have heard from people who have done it different ways; whether you start as you mean to go on, or slowly change from sleeping with you to sleeping alone - you are likely to experience a few disturbed nights as the pup gets used to it

Good luck!
What an excellent idea, will have to remember that one!

Edited to add : I think I would keep the pup with me until he/she settled (in a crate) and them move to the kitchen just to get used to being on his/her own!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I had both of mine sleep upstairs with me when they first came home...

I'm like mini on this one and I think although you need to set ground rules for a dog and follow them strictly, when they first come to your house it is a massive big deal and they are babies. They have had the security of their mum and litter mates for 8 weeks and then they are taken away by strangers and if you think how they must feel it's quite alot for them all in one day.

I don't think it's cruel to have them sleep away from you in the first nights as we all do things differently but personally I like them with me to bond and help make them feel more secure and like mini says to hear them wake and take them out to go potty which makes training so much faster...It doesn't mean they have to sleep in your room for every night from now on because as soon as mine were potty trained they are fine sleeping in another room, by then they are used to my house and it is their house and they feel safe and secure where ever they are.
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Thank you all so very much for your replies.

I've decided (I think but will play it by ear) that the pup will sleep in his cage in the kitchen......... but I'm going to bring a futon mattress down and sleep next to him I'm not 100% sure it's the right thing to do and he will have access to all the house as soon as he is old enough not to chew electric wires or hurt himself.

It's 14 years since I last had a puppy and I so want to do the right thing by him, my old boy would have been 15 last Monday, we only lost him in May, so I'm used to a perfectly behaved old boy, a new pup is going to be a revelation!!!!

All I want is for the move home to be as untraumatic as possible for the pup and for him to feel safe and secure in his new home and with me.

Thank you all for the welcome, I will certainly come back here for the help I will undoubtedly need.

eta :- he is just coming up to 8 weeks old, just a tiny baby so I think being with him is the right thing to do.........erm can you tell I'm more than a bit lost and just a tad over protective of the little saussage and it's 3 hours to go before I even pick him up
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
Hiya MM,
Whichever way you choose to handle it, consistency and patience pay off. And obviously puppies can and do cry - the process can be eased a number of ways, but my main advice would be to make sure you get something with the smell of the mother and littermates on it. It can definitely help reassure the puppy at night.

Becs
my puppies used to sleep next to the bed and i had to hang my arm down into there box or as you say put someting in there box with your smell on it. i did my socks that didnīt work though she through them out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by mustards mum
All I want is for the move home to be as untraumatic as possible for the pup and for him to feel safe and secure in his new home and with me.

Thank you all for the welcome, I will certainly come back here for the help I will undoubtedly need.

eta :- he is just coming up to 8 weeks old, just a tiny baby so I think being with him is the right thing to do.........erm can you tell I'm more than a bit lost and just a tad over protective of the little saussage and it's 3 hours to go before I even pick him up
.Don't be
there are many 'Dogweb Friends' here to help..from those with new puppies to the more experienced owners..no question is too trivial or 'silly', we have all been in the same situation at some time so just ask away
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by mustards mum
I've decided (I think but will play it by ear) that the pup will sleep in his cage in the kitchen......... but I'm going to bring a futon mattress down and sleep next to him I'm not 100% sure it's the right thing to do and he will have access to all the house as soon as he is old enough not to chew electric wires or hurt himself.

It's 14 years since I last had a puppy and I so want to do the right thing by him, my old boy would have been 15 last Monday, we only lost him in May, so I'm used to a perfectly behaved old boy, a new pup is going to be a revelation!!!!
MM - it was 22 years for me when I got my girlie this time last year. Like you, I had lost an 'oldie' in late Spring, Like you I knew it would be 'different'..................wow - was it ever? You will be fine but I bet you will feel exhausted in a couple of months time! You will also feel exhilerated and very happy!

Very best of luck (I think the 'sleeping downstairs besides' is a good compromise - I'll be doing that soon, after my babe is spayed). We look forward to hearing all about him.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3