View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 07:02 PM
You are so right there Mini, and in fact, many years ago when I had my first spaniel, I got another puppy as I thought it would be company for her, but instead of having the puppyin the bedroom with us I left him in the kitchen, where he howled the place down, night after night, even though I would frequently go in there to give him a cuddle. My o'h at that time could not put up with it any longer and sadly like you say, the poor boy had to go back to the breeder, such a shame, if only I knew then what I know now about my dogs. If only DW had been around then!Lol!

p.s. sorry I mistook you quoting me too, I normally get the wrong end of the stick, and we usually agree on most things that's why I didn't quite understand! Sorry Mini.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
DM This is a thing that does concern me greatly though, the number I times I have heard of a puppy being returned to the breeder (and recently too) because the puppy 'cried at night' and it never fails to amaze me that people are surprised when a puppy cries when parted from its mother and siblings...Just a little thought at the start when one first gets a puppy can make so much difference...
Yes Mini
- I am by no means - no means - an expert. I am on my second pup in a hundred and fifty years . To me it just seems cold and inhumane to take a baby, 50 or so days old, away from everything it has ever known and just leave it in the dark, somewhere strange, hours after plucking it from its former world.

You're getting the creature to love and enjoy, can't you just bend for as long as it takes it to accept you and your home as its new family and new environment - two, three, four, five days - what's the problem :smt102
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
You are so right there Mini, and in fact, many years ago when I had my first spaniel, I got another puppy as I thought it would be company for her, but instead of having the puppyin the bedroom with us I left him in the kitchen, where he howled the place down, night after night, even though I would frequently go in there to give him a cuddle. My o'h at that time could not put up with it any longer and sadly like you say, the poor boy had to go back to the breeder, such a shame, if only I knew then what I know now about my dogs. If only DW had been around then!Lol!

p.s. sorry I mistook you quoting me too, I normally get the wrong end of the stick, and we usually agree on most things that's why I didn't quite understand! Sorry Mini.
Helena I am afraid it is a very touchy subject with me at the moment after something I heard this week about a returned puppy..Believe it or not there are people out there who do not realise puppies are babies and cry..I can say no more
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Molo slept in the kitchen from the outset - he is not allowed upstairs so being in our room was not an option; but for the first night I slept next to his crate, and then the next few nights I slept in the adjoining room.

After that I moved back upstairs, but we used a baby monitor to ensure I could hear him whining to go out

Based on the different stories I have heard from people who have done it different ways; whether you start as you mean to go on, or slowly change from sleeping with you to sleeping alone - you are likely to experience a few disturbed nights as the pup gets used to it

Good luck!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi there

OH and I will be sleeping downstairs with Fern when he arrives just until he's adjusted and feeling cosy in his new pad, then we will move upstairs and keep a good ear out for him.....

iwlass, you're not alone in considering baby monitors...we've been thinking the same
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Must admit Rocky was going to sleep downstairs all by himself on his first night... but 10 minutes of leaving him by himself he started to cry so I took a sleeping bag downstiars and slept next to him (it was the dining room not the kitchen) - I think I am too soft but I couldn't let him cry
Rhianna
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Mustard,
Well we live in the hosue that breaks all the rules lol, all our dogs from puppies have slept in the bed room on the bed I know I know its not what the books say.
It is like ahveing atodller not wored exposed nothing left around them to chew.
But I thnk so long as jte puppy is warm and feals safe and secure you should be ok.
Good luck.
lovemydogs
New Member!
Female 

19-08-2005, 08:35 PM
[I]I got a new puppy a few weeks ago and i have him sleep in my bedroom. The first few nights he woke me every few hours, but i didnt mind that. Now he sleeps through the night, sometimes waking once needing a wee, but i couldnt put him downstairs!! He will stay in my room with me for as long as he likes!! Just like my other little 7 year old dog. They are happy and im happy..........
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Yes Mini
- I am by no means - no means - an expert. I am on my second pup in a hundred and fifty years . To me it just seems cold and inhumane to take a baby, 50 or so days old, away from everything it has ever known and just leave it in the dark, somewhere strange, hours after plucking it from its former world.

You're getting the creature to love and enjoy, can't you just bend for as long as it takes it to accept you and your home as its new family and new environment - two, three, four, five days - what's the problem :smt102
I agree 100% with what you have said and I think Mini agrees with this too DM. You put it so much better than me though!

and well done you lovemydogs, that is entirely my sentiment, your dog is part of the family after all. I actually want mine sleeping next to me in our bedroom, even though they take up most of the room with their massive beds! You're only in there to sleep anyway!

p.s. I live in a bungalow by the way with no stairs!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Hiya MM,

as you can see everyone does things differently, and you've received some excellent advice here. My personal preference is that the puppy sleeps alone from day one, either in the next room or downstairs. When we got our last puppy, he slept in the office next to our room in his crate, and then moved downstairs at around 16 weeks. Since moving him downstairs he's stayed there, for two reasons: he's a large breed dog so he's never allowed upstairs and he's a dominant breed so free rein of the house and access to our bedroom is, for me, a definite no-no. This doesn't mean he's any less a part of our family though

Whichever way you choose to handle it, consistency and patience pay off. And obviously puppies can and do cry - the process can be eased a number of ways, but my main advice would be to make sure you get something with the smell of the mother and littermates on it. It can definitely help reassure the puppy at night.

Becs
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >