Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Dogs on sofa's. Yes or No???

I have not allowed luchi on the sofa (apart from the very odd time when she was little).

Her breeder is very anti dogs on sofas's, at least until they are fully mature and have earned the privilege so to speak.

Now at 7.5 months I have relented, and she has taken to the Sofa like a duck to water. Well it is very comfortable!

Just wandered what other Dogsey members think.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:22 PM
my lot do get on the sofa.... I never used to allow my dogs up on the sofa, but have got soft over the last few years,
they do warm the leather up nicely for you though..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Mine have always been allowed - as long as they move when I ask them to - it has never been an issue.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Mine aren't allowed on the sofa downstairs, but I have an old one in my room that they can sit on if they want to, they are allowed on the sofa in the caravan though, as long as the throw is over it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm absolutely fine with dogs on the sofa if they are invited.

If they help themselves or show any sign of location guarding it becomes a no-no but if they ask and wait to be invited up then I think that's just fine.

When we got Bubble (now 8 months old) she took up a lot of my time and my older girl wasn't sure about her. As a result, I took to allowing the older girl on the furniture but never the puppy. Takara knew that she was allowed to get on the chair to get away from the puppy (and didn't have to ask) but the moment I said 'off' she had to get off.

I found it very sweet that when we had a visitor who came in and stood up due to a lack of seats, Takara got straight off the chair and sat on the floor she knows that people are allowed first, then dogs.

She's now back to being on the floor unless expressly invited though.

Edit: The main reason for not allowing them up is we don't have the luxury of a leather sofa where hairs wipe off and it takes a lot of hoovering to get rid of those spiky white dalmatian hairs!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:26 PM
My dogs have always been allowed on the furniture. Try telling a lurcher that comfy, cosy sofa wasn't put there just for him! Dylan, bc, tends to curl up on one of the chairs and Lily, jrt, likes to cuddle up with me on the sofa.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Ours do get on the sofa but the OH's plan was not to allow them on the furniture until we went on holiday in our touring caravan and HE encouraged Ruby up - his excuse "Well Ruby's on holiday too" After that holiday Ruby started going up on the bed and sofa but only John's sofa and now Dyson comes on mine. I don't think it hurts them to have some spoiling moments.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:31 PM
My lot get on the sofa, on the beds, on the chairs, where ever they feel like.. as long as they will move up or off if I ask them too then I dont think it's a problem.

As soon as my dogs can jump up on the sofa from puppies they are taught 'off'.
Occasionally my Boxer likes to throw a deafun and pretend she cant hear us when we say 'off' but she soon gets the message when I get her collar and lead her off. It's not dominance it's just a comfy Boxer wishing to remain in comfort :P
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:09 PM
My Dane puppy has always from the of 8weeks thought the sofa was hers!!! The others arnt bothered and are not allowed on the sofa and its not a problem but Pearl constantly tries to get on we always remove her though as she take up most of a three seater lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't allow mine on ad-lib as I think it elevates their status. Very occasionally, I will invite them on for a cuddle each, but it is a rare time I do it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »