Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Not a lot I can do really is there?

Some of you may remember a while back when I found a dog running round on the main road & took him home - well he kind of led us home & when we found the house, the woman just stuck her head out of the window & sent a little girl out with jaffa cakes to coax him in. No collar or tag on the dog.
Well the other day didn't we just find another dog running across the road outside ours.This time he was wearing a bandana so I was able to grab him & brought him home & put a collar on him. I then started walking the streets with hub looking for someone who may be out looking. We asked a girl who said she thought it was from the estate nearby and had seen it running around loads of times - Then the penny dropped that it was the same dog as last time. I didn't recognise him because the last time it had been dark.So knowing exactly where he lived we took him home. The same woman answered the door & thanked me - going on about how the kids keep letting him out. I told her this was the 2nd time I'd brought him home & why hasn't he got a collar & tag. She said he had a collar but broke it so I told her she could keep the new collar I had put on him & please get him a tag. I went on a bit & hub thought she was gonna smack me as she was getting annoyed. Anyway I sighed & left!
Can't stop thinking about this poor dog now, who obviously never goes out, he's fairly young & intact sprightly lab x boy.I'd hate anything to happen to him (I kept saying to hub I want to keep him) I wonder if I find him again would it be better to have the dog warden come & collect him. I feel like going round there & saying look if you ever think you can't manage him & want him rehomed I would take him -or maybe she would take offence & snot me one!!! Tilly liked him too!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Good job you found him before he got run over or caused an accident. I think if I found him again I would take him to the dog warden as they would charge the owner and it may make her more responsible about keeping him safe.
On the other hand she may not bother to pay to get her dog returned and he may be able to find a better owner then.

My work colleague lost her 2 JRTs and had to pay about £160 to get them back. The dog warden said if they were found loose again she would be charged £5,000 (yes FIVE THOUSAND!) for each dog. She had an electric fence and collar system put in around her garden as she was so scared by this.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
What an irresponsible owner, not even out looking for the poor pup! Not only is the dog at risk of being injured/stolen but she is putting people at risk as well, what would happen if he ran into a road & people had to swerve to avoid him?! Surely if this has happened before she should have put measures in place to stop him escaping again? Like not leaving him unsupervised with the kids if they're daft enough to let the dog out? If her kids let him escape then she should be out there looking for him!

I'd say you should take him the next time you see him out but no doubt she'd miraculously start caring about him then
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, if you are interested in him, I would call the dog warden next time you find him running loose. Then I would tell the dog warden that I wanted to rehome him if the owner didn't turn up for him.

The only really awkward thing would be if that happened and then this lady saw you out and about with him. Mind you, it sounds like she probably wouldn't recognise her own dog!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well, if you are interested in him, I would call the dog warden next time you find him running loose. Then I would tell the dog warden that I wanted to rehome him if the owner didn't turn up for him.

The only really awkward thing would be if that happened and then this lady saw you out and about with him. Mind you, it sounds like she probably wouldn't recognise her own dog!
At which point you innocently say "I liked your dog so much that when I saw this one I just had to have him. They do look alot alike don't they"
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 05:36 AM
How sad for both you and the dog.....

Hugs hon x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes I think it will be dog warden next time then!! - and if there isn't a next time well maybe she actually listened to me!
I can't stop thinking about him, I know his name (I asked) & have even thought of a similar sounding name I could call him! He's not distinctive in any way just a black lab x with a large head...... I didn't even particularly want a lab as a 2nd dog - but I've found him twice & heard he always gets out, I've fallen for him & just want to give him a good home - I'll probably be regularly stalking around where he lives now!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:53 PM
i hate when people let their dogs just roam around. i was out with my bf while he was doing deliveries for a local chinese. he went up to a house, while i sat in the car, and a greyhound followed him up the garden path (he had been away down the road and only came up when my bf got out the car). when the woman answered the door, she was screaming at him to get in, but he just ignored her. so she threw a prawn cracker on the floor just behind her so the dog shot in to get it, and she hit him so hard across the back she looked like she was out of it...
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Awww poor dog!

I think you should stalk around his house! I am sure he will be out again soon! - Sounds like he would be much better off with you!

I don't understand some owners do you? I took home a cocker spaniel not long ago and the people were not very grateful (he had a collar but no tag) I also lectured them on the no tag thing! The Dog was in the middle of the blinking road!!!!! TBH I could have taken him home to, Monty LOVED him!

(now if only we could make dog rescuing and taking them home legal...........hummmmmm )
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Poor mutt.

Contact the RSPCA or dog warden and get them to have a word with her and see if she'll consider rehoming the dog, then that way if she agrees, you could keep him. Afetrall, the fact that she's letting the dog walk the streets on his own is not right and the authorities could and should be taking action.

Or, if you find him again and he has no ID (in the form of a microhip), tell the authorities that you'll keep him until an owner comes forward. Keep him away from his current owners until such a time when he can stay with you. I don't know if it's the same where you are, but I think dogs can be rehomed after a week of being found as a stray, providing all is well with the dogs. Can't be sure though but that's what I've heard. It's a week with our local rescue people if the animal is unclaimed and a week with the SSPCA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >