Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Your tooth extraction experiences please

I had a sedation at 9.15 this morning and a top double tooth removed.
I have had sedation twice before and a tooth out each time and have come home felt fine, no discomfort etc.
Today I have had worse toothache than I suffered before the extraction, even though I am dosed up with co codamol. Also the sedation has left me still feeling quite disorientated.
It was the same dentist and anethatist that I have had each time before.
Has anyone else felt worse after the tooth was removed and if so was there a reason for it?
I would like to hear your experiences if you are willing to share.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry to hear you're still feeling uncomfortable.

I think it can depend on how hard work it is to get the tooth out. I had top wisdom teeth out at the dentist, no bother - went straight back to work.

The bottom ones needed a hospital visit. I woke up from the anaestetic crying my eyes out, so heaven knows what they had done to my while I was under, but I must have been aware of something. With those ones I was in substantial pain for days.

What would worry me more about what you describe is the fact that you are still feeling disorientated after what, nearly 12 hours after the aneastetic.

I may be tempted to phone the NHS helpline and just check that this is ok - I have a vague recollection that you aren't supposed to go to sleep if you're still feeling the effects, but I have no idea whether that is right or not.

I hope you're soon over it all. x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi i worked in a dentists for a while assisting, when they extract your teeth they clamp your jaw open - is it your actual gums/teeth that hurt or could it be your jaw ? it may be a bit bruised. It will take a while for your mouth to settle down, how do you usually react to anaesthesia ? personally it takes me ages to recover and i'm usually sick. Hope you feel better soon, try rinsing your mouth out with salt water it helps the healing process.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:21 AM
It was the extraction site and the tooth next to it that were pulsating an intense toothache pain, but I am pleased to say I dosed myself up last night on diclofenic and co codamol went to bed and slept well. Waking this morning to no pain at all
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
When I had my thyroid problem recently I lost 3 back teeth..two of them came out with little problem but the 3rd one is still causing me problems 6 months later.

That tooth broke as they were extracting it and I wrote a thread about it as it never went numb, even after numerous injections. I was in agony as they were trying to remove it and eventually fainted with the pain. Eventually the dentist gave up and said that I would have to have it done at the hospital.

I went to the hospital and they wouldn't do it until after my operation and it had to be a while afterwards because the op was on my throat and they wouldn't be able to pull the tooth incase they caused damage to the operation site I then had a couple more appointments that had to be cancelled due to my virus over Christmas, but I continuously have a painful abcess where the roots are and have been on anitbiotics more or less constantly since before Christmas.

I ended up back at my local dentist last week as my face was like a balloon..after another god knows how many injections the roots still weren't numb, I nearly passed out again so I have now been referred to another hospital for them to remove them. The dentist did drill through the root to try to eleviate the pressure but I could feel everything...thankfully Clive was with me to help me home.

All I need is to be knocked out completely so they can whip them out...the fact that they can't get the area numb must make them realise that it is never going to go numb...and I end up flaking out with the pain each time, all to no avail.

I'm so pleased that you are feeling much better now
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
When I had my thyroid problem recently I lost 3 back teeth..two of them came out with little problem but the 3rd one is still causing me problems 6 months later.

That tooth broke as they were extracting it and I wrote a thread about it as it never went numb, even after numerous injections. I was in agony as they were trying to remove it and eventually fainted with the pain. Eventually the dentist gave up and said that I would have to have it done at the hospital.

I went to the hospital and they wouldn't do it until after my operation and it had to be a while afterwards because the op was on my throat and they wouldn't be able to pull the tooth incase they caused damage to the operation site I then had a couple more appointments that had to be cancelled due to my virus over Christmas, but I continuously have a painful abcess where the roots are and have been on anitbiotics more or less constantly since before Christmas.

I ended up back at my local dentist last week as my face was like a balloon..after another god knows how many injections the roots still weren't numb, I nearly passed out again so I have now been referred to another hospital for them to remove them. The dentist did drill through the root to try to eleviate the pressure but I could feel everything...thankfully Clive was with me to help me home.

All I need is to be knocked out completely so they can whip them out...the fact that they can't get the area numb must make them realise that it is never going to go numb...and I end up flaking out with the pain each time, all to no avail.

I'm so pleased that you are feeling much better now
OMG that is awful you poor thing and there was me whinging about my post extraction discomfort.
Can your dentist not refer you immeadiatly for sedation. I am always completely out of it with sedation and don't remember a thing. The numbing injections don't work on me either and they tried twice to pull another tooth of mine and in the end had to stop because they couldn't get it numb and I could feel everything.
Good luck I hope you get it sorted soon.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
OMG that is awful you poor thing and there was me whinging about my post extraction discomfort.
Can your dentist not refer you immeadiatly for sedation. I am always completely out of it with sedation and don't remember a thing. The numbing injections don't work on me either and they tried twice to pull another tooth of mine and in the end had to stop because they couldn't get it numb and I could feel everything.
Good luck I hope you get it sorted soon.
I asked about sedation each time but they said that I had to be awake and just have the injections, which are a killer..its a back bottom tooth and one of the injections has to go right into the jaw where the top and bottom gums meet

I asked again about being knocked out last week and the dentist told me that its too dangerous...I can't work that out as people get knocked out all the time for little ops.

I'm just waiting for my hospital appointment to come through and will ask again when I go...I just think it could all be over and done with in such a short space of time. I wasn't that keen on denstist before but this has started to make me very scared before I even get in the chair, and when everything but the tooth area goes numb, its even more scary because you know its going to hurt

I thought I was a "one off" but its a relief to know that it can effect other people too, and that they sedate you for your treatment, so maybe there is hope for me yet.

I don't think you were whinging, tooth pain has got to be one of the worse things ever, and when nothing will take it away it makes you really down in the dumps.

Thanks for your good wishes
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Sounds like you need to change your dentist Scorpio - he doesn't sound very sympathetic . Hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than toothache or earache i think.

Madmare - glad your feeling better this morning. Prob the anaesthetic had time to work its way out of your system over night and they do pull you about when they extract teeth under sedation so i'm not surprised it still hurt ! (sorry i prob shouldn't have said that !)
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I had a wisdom tooth out with sedation, but not knocked out completely due to being diabetic, I just felt woozy and not on the same planet....wonderful feeling....lol. I did get quite a bit of discomfort for about 24 hours afterwards, I guess due to the fact the nerves have been tampered with, but it soon settled down.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Normally I've felt 100% better with any tooth out because I've usually had an abcess and it's relieved it. However, I do remember one lower back tooth being removed once which the dentist had to use all his force to get out and kept stopping for a rest inbetween and when the aneasthetic wore off I was in absolute agony! I went back to another dentist who told me he had taken some of my jawbone with it and that's why I could feel like there was still some tooth there but he said it would work it's way out (the bit) and it did about a year later! I feel for you Bev coz there's nothing quite like tooth pain where you want to bang your head against a wall! Good luck, I hope you're out of pain soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >