Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Upset Stomach

Hi,

I started giving my pup some skinners puppy milk to help his bones and put a little fat on him (not much just enough to stop him looking skinny, he is at that stage), only thing is the milk seems to be going straight through him, I cant work out the measurements to good, I have been using to heaped spoons (the ones that come with it in the 15 kg tub) mixed with 2 pints of warm water. the runs are getting really bad now so I am considering removing the milk from his diet but was wondering is there anything out there that I can feed him to stop them, we have imodium lol anything for dogs ???

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi Taz how old is your puppy ? If he is past the small puppy stage he may be lactose intolerant so best not to give him milk it will upset his tummy (as will giving him the wrong concentration ) . What do you normally feed him on, if you feed a good quality food in a number of small meals he should not be too thin. Has he been wormed regularly?

To stop the diarrhoea try giving him starch in the form of well cooked boiled white rice with a little white fish, just a small amount at a time. If the diarrhoea continue you should see a vet because your puppy may become dehydrated. Reintroduce his normal food gradually by substituting a little of it for the rice mixture.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi, he is 5 months old but huge in his height looks more around the 9 - 10 month range but he is looking very lanky at the moment which I know they go through, you cannot see his bones but he looks very slim around his back end.
I worm him regular so I know its not worms............ well I say I know I don't know for definate lol but he isn't due for another 3 weeks to be wormed.

I usually feed him a large tin of breeder pack meat in the morning with his skinners biscuits (was told it was good, there is no name on it but it seems to be doing well, I had it from the traders) then he nibbles out of the bag when he feels hungry the rest of the day, so I am assuming he is getting plenty of food.

I will try the rice and fish. Thanks
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 06:54 AM
As hes just growing i wouldnt worry about his bum, especially if you cant see his bones! He obvisley cannot tolerate the milk so i would cut it out or he could start losing weight. Im sure he will fill out naturally as he grows.

I fed my recent pup on Genesis puppy & ive never had one look better.

tripe is always reccommend in putting aboit of weight on, But with pups its better ,imo, unless they are underwight ti let them grow steadily.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I'd rather have a slightly underweight puppy than atoo fat one anyday, if you make him overwight when he is growing you are likely to put too much pressure on his joints. Many puppies grow in spurts putting onheight then growing into it. If you are relly worried I'd just checkwith yout vet but it sounds as though this is all it is. Please stop the milk as many dogs can't tolerate this as they grow up. This should stop the tummy problem but if it doesn;t go to your vet as puppies can dehydrate very quickly.