View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Honestly Gemini! Kids not wanting to be outdoors? I had a job to get mine to come inside and the grandchildren are just the same. I wouldn't believe everything you hear on a TV programme.

I absolutely LOVE that photo of her stuffing flowers down her jumper! And yes your girls do look very different. Not a bad thing for sisters in my opinion. My daughter too looks like her dad but prettier - much much much much prettier lol!

She complains that her brother looks like me and she looks more like her dad (as if that is somehow MY fault!)

Tips to get kids outside (if you have kids that don't want to!):

Who wants to go for a PICNIC!
Who wants to go to the beach?
Who wants to go swimming?
Who wants to play football?
Who wants to go for a bike ride?
Who wants to go to the woods?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi How do you manage to get them outdoors,there was a programme,that the kids today do not like going outdoors,when my OH reminisces he was brought up in Ireland in a fishing & farming community,if he was on his hols,they went out each morning and didnt return to six,they would be just hanging around the boats,but its a shame if Kids do not play outdoors.Gemini54
They both love being outdoors, particularly the eldest who started having tantrums at 12 months especially if she had to come in from outdoors. I think a lot of those programs aren't representational of your average child as all the ones I know love the outdoors. We do our fare of TV watching too but do a lot of getting messy. Their favourite activity is snail collecting in the garden. They spend hours and hours doing that. It also makes me chuckle when people say kids don't eat fruit and veg anymore. We've just had a lunch of cheese sandwiches with cucumber, tomatoes, celery, carrot sticks, blueberries and an orange juice lolly. They can't get enough of it!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Honestly Gemini! Kids not wanting to be outdoors? I had a job to get mine to come inside and the grandchildren are just the same. I wouldn't believe everything you hear on a TV programme.

I absolutely LOVE that photo of her stuffing flowers down her jumper! And yes your girls do look very different. Not a bad thing for sisters in my opinion. My daughter too looks like her dad but prettier - much much much much prettier lol!

She complains that her brother looks like me and she looks more like her dad (as if that is somehow MY fault!)

Tips to get kids outside (if you have kids that don't want to!):

Who wants to go for a PICNIC!
Who wants to go to the beach?
Who wants to go swimming?
Who wants to play football?
Who wants to go for a bike ride?
Who wants to go to the woods?
I think she's seen me putting flowers in my button hole before when they hand them to me on walks.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
They both love being outdoors, particularly the eldest who started having tantrums at 12 months especially if she had to come in from outdoors. I think a lot of those programs aren't representational of your average child as all the ones I know love the outdoors. We do our fare of TV watching too but do a lot of getting messy. Their favourite activity is snail collecting in the garden. They spend hours and hours doing that. It also makes me chuckle when people say kids don't eat fruit and veg anymore. We've just had a lunch of cheese sandwiches with cucumber, tomatoes, celery, carrot sticks, blueberries and an orange juice lolly. They can't get enough of it!
My youngest used to 'collect' snails in a bucket and take them to his bedroom. He'd be quite despondent as they all slowly 'left the bucket' - I'd be quite horrified!

My kids have cycled and fished and camped walked and swum since they were old enough to do so and encouraged to do so independently (even if my heart was in my mouth) as soon as I considered them old enough. Hell they used to 'camp' in the back garden lol! My boys learned to ride Yamaha Schoolboy Scramblers from the age of 5. My daughter rode horses from the age of 8 and was a quite accomplished sailor sailing down at Babbacombe by the age of 12. (Proud mum still has the trophies - daughter cringes lol!)

I am sure this is why my eldest has been all round the world both for work and pleasure and why my youngest set off on her round the world trip at the age of 18 for 2yrs. People would say to me 'aren't you worried about her?' Idiots! Of COURSE I was! But I wouldn't stop her.

Now, aged 37, 35 and 25 respectively, their activities, in order, are

Windsurfing
Fishing
Marathons and races

Mine were water ski-ing, flying (learned to fly a Piper Cherokee) travelling, camper-vanned across Europe. And throw in dancing, laughing and generally having fun with mates.

I still prefer to be OUTSIDE rather than inside. Am typing this from the verandah!

*As for kids not eating fruit and veg anymore - I've got 3 stepgrandsons and one granddaughter - all vegetarian from birth. So they'd STARVE if that was the case for them!

My daughter in law has just sent me a batch of photos of her and the 4 kids all 'geo caching' in the Berkshire countryside.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi That is so good,my step grandchildren one is 16 the other 8,they hate sports at school enjoy Mario and all computer games,they have 3 labs,which was to encourage them going out,they did for a few days,and all their friends are the same,except for there cousin who likes baking,they work on getting the highest score on the current game.Maybe because they are in a town,and do not have the freedom to play outside.Gemini54
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Lovely photos
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
My youngest used to 'collect' snails in a bucket and take them to his bedroom. He'd be quite despondent as they all slowly 'left the bucket' - I'd be quite horrified!

My kids have cycled and fished and camped walked and swum since they were old enough to do so and encouraged to do so independently (even if my heart was in my mouth) as soon as I considered them old enough. Hell they used to 'camp' in the back garden lol! My boys learned to ride Yamaha Schoolboy Scramblers from the age of 5. My daughter rode horses from the age of 8 and was a quite accomplished sailor sailing down at Babbacombe by the age of 12. (Proud mum still has the trophies - daughter cringes lol!)

I am sure this is why my eldest has been all round the world both for work and pleasure and why my youngest set off on her round the world trip at the age of 18 for 2yrs. People would say to me 'aren't you worried about her?' Idiots! Of COURSE I was! But I wouldn't stop her.

Now, aged 37, 35 and 25 respectively, their activities, in order, are

Windsurfing
Fishing
Marathons and races

Mine were water ski-ing, flying (learned to fly a Piper Cherokee) travelling, camper-vanned across Europe. And throw in dancing, laughing and generally having fun with mates.

I still prefer to be OUTSIDE rather than inside. Am typing this from the verandah!

*As for kids not eating fruit and veg anymore - I've got 3 stepgrandsons and one granddaughter - all vegetarian from birth. So they'd STARVE if that was the case for them!

My daughter in law has just sent me a batch of photos of her and the 4 kids all 'geo caching' in the Berkshire countryside.
Thankfully I really love snails too..as they are often in the house and I'm used to finding them in strange places...plopped in the fish tank, all over the lounge and conservatory and even clinging on to the underside of the kitchen table! I've drawn the line at them taking them upstairs though. you sound like you have a really active family. I hope my daughters will continue to be active as they grow.

Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi That is so good,my step grandchildren one is 16 the other 8,they hate sports at school enjoy Mario and all computer games,they have 3 labs,which was to encourage them going out,they did for a few days,and all their friends are the same,except for there cousin who likes baking,they work on getting the highest score on the current game.Maybe because they are in a town,and do not have the freedom to play outside.Gemini54
Yes, we are lucky as we only lie in a small town now and there are lots of green areas and parks within walking distance as well as a few forestry commission walks just a quick drive away.

Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
Lovely photos
Thank you
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Aww, cute pics
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:33 AM