Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Peeing!

Rave wees as soon as anyone stokes her(which is a huge excitement for her!), im talking about a big puddle not just a trickle.
She also pees when she is generally excited too.

She is almost 8 months now, her mum did the same when she was young although nowhere near as bad and she did grow out of it.
Its not so bad at the moment as most of my floors are tiled/wood so easily cleanable but i'm moving to a fully carpeted house soon and really dont want her doing the same there.
When she starts peeing i immediately stop stroking her and take her outside, I never tell her off. I'm not sure there is anything I can do but wait until she grows out of it?? (whenever that may be!!).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Taking her outside could be seen by a sensitive dog as a punishment---and you could inadvertantly be making her worse as she tries to appease you and stop you from taking her out (especially if you hold her collar).

Ignoring her might be a better option---I am assuming it happens when you come in and not every time you touch her?

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Its more or less every time I touch her. I don't lead her out by her collar, I happily call her outside with me where she continues to behave happily, I really don't think she sees going outside as a punishment..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Is she the one you have had from birth? I might try letting a trusted friend have her either for an overnight or for a little session. It could make her more confident in herself.

You need to do it carefully and gradually and not just chuck her in though.

If it is every time you touch her I'd stop and just give her a smile or a nod as a greeting, if it is that you are using touch as a reward maybe titbits and no eye contact would be better.

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes I bred her myself.

To be honest I'm not quite sure what sending her to someone else would achieve? She is a very confident girl (too confident probably!) and I assumed (rightly or wrongly)that the weeing is an excitement thing as she does everything at a million miles an hour, wees even more when it's walk/training or play time- just initially then when I ask her to work she is absolutely fine.
I also don't think I have anyone that I could subject hurricane rave to! Lol.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Maybe for now, not stroke her in the house? Ask her outside (which is where you are going to end up anyway!), then give her a big fuss. Have all the fuss and excitement outside, and as Rune said, not pay her much attention inside for now.

I had one no so bad, but he used to wee on people (strangers to him) who paid him ANY attention. Even looking at him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:18 PM
When my little min pin was still a puppy, she used to pee with excitement when anyone visited - she'd run circles all round their feet and pee without seeming to even notice it (but only a small amount). I'd warn people not to 'go nuts' as she would pee on their feet or worse if they picked her up!

But if your dog is peeing a large amount, that would say to me that she needed a pee anyway (bladder quite full?) so maybe just take her out more often or take her outside to pee before making a fuss of her! After all, if she is guaranteed to pee the minute she is stroked, you could always take her out, stroke her and away she goes! No need for a 'command' (Bella's command is 'offyougo').

I've always found that once dogs get used to only peeing and pooing outside - whether it was their idea to do so or not (like because you took them out beforehand and in time) they only ever want to pee and poo outside.