Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I too agree with Jackbox. Another bitch quote I like is -

A dog will die for you - but a bitch will kill for you. :lol:
Yep, is`nt that the truth
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Using the word "alpha" in a multi pack household may be considered as an "outdated" notions, however living with bitches, observing tbem & keeping harmony will always reveal one of the bitches to be alpha & the others either follow or do their own thing. IF you have a male amongst them he will think he has a pack of bitches & think he is in charge , that however is far from the truth - bitches usually content to let him think it.

I agree the poster should seek help from a behavourist. The dogs should respect everyone in the household. A behavourist will explain how to achieve this.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
With respect, that view is a little outdated, we dont need to be "alphas" to our dogs, they dont see us as dogs, hence trying to act as one will not help the case at all.
In order to gain any respect over your dogs, you need to be the leader, whether you call it the alpha role or not, it is the same thing. Dont know why you feel it is outdated, dogs are, and always have been, a pack animal and a pack always has an alpha dog.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
In order to gain any respect over your dogs, you need to be the leader, whether you call it the alpha role or not, it is the same thing. Dont know why you feel it is outdated, dogs are, and always have been, a pack animal and a pack always has an alpha dog.
One should not be aiming to gain respect "over" our dogs, one should be aiming to gain respect "from" our dogs..

That's the out dated part, we dont need to dominate=alpha. "over " our dogs, what we need to do is give mutual respect, I see myself as their "provider/teacher" , I am not a dog , nor do my dogs see me as such, so I dont need to pretend to be the alpha dog and eat first, go out doors first, and basically make them subservient to me, to have a happy household.

Another point of fact is, if you beleive in the "alpha" pack leader,theory there can only be one, its either you or one of the dogs, you cant have you and the dog as pack leader, so telling someone to be pack leader, then establish one of her dogs to also be pack leader is going to confuss the matter even more.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 05:39 PM
It isnt a case of whether I believe the alpha theory, it is a way of life, whether you recognise it or not.

We dont eat before the dogs, allow them to walk through the door first etc, but we have one alpha female who we maintain firm and consistent control of, she is the oldest, and the one who the others look up to, and ultimately my partner is the top of the pecking order. We live with four entire dogs of both sexes, and have never had any problems.

This problem sounds like a dominance issue and if it isnt nailed on the head it will get worse and the bitches will end up fighting.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:16 PM
It is outdated though, to be fair .
Yes you get hormonal stuff and you get shoving for resources etc but on the whole it is now thought that dogs behave a lot more like humans - ie no actual pack (a family group appears to be more the norm), no actual hierarchy as such, etc.

Some of this might be interesting:

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/why-not-dominance.php

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/if-not-dominance.php

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:19 PM
It isnt a case of whether I believe the alpha theory, it is a way of life, whether you recognise it or not.

We dont eat before the dogs, allow them to walk through the door first etc, but we have one alpha female who we maintain firm and consistent control of, she is the oldest, and the one who the others look up to, and ultimately my partner is the top of the pecking order. We live with four entire dogs of both sexes, and have never had any problems.

This problem sounds like a dominance issue and if it isnt nailed on the head it will get worse and the bitches will end up fighting.
Sorry, me again but this is exactly why I hate the whole pack thing. At once, it has to be a dominance issue and that is said with absolute certainty. It bothers me a lot when we have so much more info about dogs than we used to have.

If you are a strong supporter of pack theory, you could always do up to date research on current thinking (for example what about John Fisher, who used to advocate pack theory, doing his U turn? plus up to date actual scientific info) and then you can have a good argument after that, if you can still back up your own views

Wys
x
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I havnt said I am a strong supporter of the alpha theory, I was offering constructive advice.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I havnt said I am a strong supporter of the alpha theory, I was offering constructive advice.
I can understand your point of view
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG
But thats the whole point, its not!

The links Wysiwyg has posted explains it in more depth, why the dominance/alpha theory is outdated!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >