View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Just read thread and think that this is awful.

I am sorry if I am not offering helpful advice like the others but Sarah I think you are living in cuckoo land.

You drag a dog out of its home environment and expect it to be perfect?
Then ONE night and you are calling the owners and RESCUE centres?? Am I hearing this right??

POOR DOG

I have no idea what is going on with Dogset today.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, dog (Bailey) ... that's who we are thinking about. Not ourselves ... what is right for Bailey.

Like I have said previously, we have made a mistake and Bailey has had to suffer for it - I know that and feel dreadful about it so am taking advice from rescue centres and am discussing it with her previous owners as well as keeping them updated in an effort to put things right.

I have taken today off (and will take more days off until this is sorted) and, as I said above, am discussing the situation with a GSD-specific charity to get their advice.

And yes, we were naive about it but no, we didn't expect perfection but after discussions with her previous owners, we didn't expect what happened last night and today ... maybe we should have but we are now getting the support and advice we need.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Just read thread and think that this is awful.

I am sorry if I am not offering helpful advice like the others but Sarah I think you are living in cuckoo land.

You drag a dog out of its home environment and expect it to be perfect?
Then ONE night and you are calling the owners and RESCUE centres?? Am I hearing this right??

POOR DOG

I have no idea what is going on with Dogset today.
I have to say I pretty much agree with you..

Rescues or rehomes are not easy especially for a first dog..and I think you would be MAD to get the lab you intend on getting too..

However that aside I would suggest putting an article of clothing..or the sheet off your bed or something with your scent on it..into the dogs bed..this may reassure her more
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Thank you, I will try that and no, and I think this kinda goes without saying now, we won't be getting the other dog. I can't put another dog through this - its bad enough doing it to one. Its awful and I feel terrible not that that helps Bailey.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2008, 10:47 AM
For what it's worth my take on this is the reason there was no destruction in the other home was the dog was kept outside in the garden.
Pregnancy is not a reason to give up a dog so there clearly were issues with the dog and they are not being entirely honest.
If they gave two hoots about the dogs welfare they would have it back in an instant, they would not want it to be distressed in this manner.
So what's the point of talking to them?
Are you going to try to keep this dog or are you talking to the rescue to try and rehome it?
I do feel sorry for both you and the dog but I think they saw you coming, It's admirable that you are trying to solve the situation but I do feel you are not the answer for this dog. Sorry x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:52 AM
i wouldn`t beat yourself up too much - you`re inexperienced and with another dog it might have all been OK. We all have to start somewhere. The main thing is to get the dog sorted and you`re trying to do that, so good luck. You`ve learned a hard lesson - the main one being that people rehoming dogs aren`t always truthful. If you went through a good rescue organisation you would get advice and support so maybe that would be the way to go next time?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm a bit confused...one bit syas the dog was out in a kennel but another says it slept under the owners bed????? Where was it most of the time?

I agree with Ben, if you pet Bailey too much, you are reinforcing the anxiety in a lot of ways, best to spend the time cleaning out your kitchen cupboards and letting her settle in her own time with you there but not there...if you see what i mean.

Hali I agree the crate may not be best, but if the dog is to be left, perhaps a puppy playpen (or baby one) could be used to limit the area she has access to, but will still let her pace?

Bless her.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I Hope you manage to get the this situation sorted but i must admit it does not make me feel very comfortable reading this. I hate seeing dogs pushed from pillar to post, no matter how good the intention may be. This poor animal is suffering here and it needs to be made very clear to people that taking on a dog is a huge, huge commitment. If you can't give a dog at the very least 3 months to settle down in a new home then I don't think anyone should be considering taking an animal on. I don't want to sound harsh here though, I wish you good luck trying to sort this situation out and I hope things work out for bailey and yourself.

Mike
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Okay. Bailey was with a guy for 5 years who kept her in an outside kennel in his back garden while 3 other dogs lived in the house.

When Bailey was taken on by her previous owners, they let her sleep in the house, under their bed.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi lara

I dont really know what to post to be honest, I do thinkthe other owners have seen you coming, if they had genuine reasons for rehoming her as oppose to getting rid of her then they woudl have taken her back in a heartbeat when you called to tell them how distressed she was and that you didnt think you were the right people for her. So firstly her previous owners are awful.

Secondly, i think you realise the mistake you have made and i dont see the point in rubbing it in your face, I really feel for Bailey, as she must be terrified, and very lost.

Its a very sad situation, but if you cannot give this dog the time she seems to need, then I think the best thing for HER would be to go into rescue right now. They will asses her requirements and rehome her to someone with time or who is home all day.

Its a hard situation because most of me wants to shout at you to give her more time, etc, but i think reading between the lines in your posts I dont think you have the time for her, or perhaps even the inclination to deal with this type bof anxiety. So ultimately the best thing would be for her to be rehomed now.

good luck.
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »