Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:03 PM

When your dogs are on lead...

Do you prefer it if they heel for the entire time, or do you let them walk in front? or do you change how they walk depending on where you are?

I find it quite interesting how people handle their dogs. I see some owners who absolutely insist their dogs don't budge from the heel position, never let them stop or sniff, and correct them if they so much as try. Yet, others let their dogs drag them around, walk in front the entire time, stop to sniff whenever they want, etc.

I do a mixture of both. In fact, I'm pretty lax about lead work (letting them walk in front, sniff, etc.), which is probably why my dog Bo is so bad on the lead. With her though I can't work out which is worse and more energy draining -- constantly reminding her, correcting her, repositioning her and commanding her to heel...or letting her walk in front and pull.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Do you prefer it if they heel for the entire time, or do you let them walk in front? or do you change how they walk depending on where you are?

I find it quite interesting how people handle their dogs. I see some owners who absolutely insist their dogs don't budge from the heel position, never let them stop or sniff, and correct them if they so much as try. Yet, others let their dogs drag them around, walk in front the entire time, stop to sniff whenever they want, etc.

I do a mixture of both. In fact, I'm pretty lax about lead work (letting them walk in front, sniff, etc.), which is probably why my dog Bo is so bad on the lead. With her though I can't work out which is worse and more energy draining -- constantly reminding her, correcting her, repositioning her and commanding her to heel...or letting her walk in front and pull.

My dogs are rarely on the lead and when they are it is for a reason. They are usually on it because I am say in a hotel, walking down a street, in a car park etc

Therefore I do not want my dogs in a position where they

a) appear to be out of control
b) where I cannot intervene if necessary ie inappropriate behaviour by member of public etc
c) I do not want to be "dragged about"
d) I decide how, where, when etc we proceed when on the lead so there is no sniffing, cocking of legs etc (they can do that to their hearts content when OFF the lead)
e) they are not doing "heelwork" but they are where I can control them and anything else that might crop up in real life.
f) one of my dogs is a GSD so I feel it is vital to demonstrate my dog is no threat to anyone as many people are petrified of the breed.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I am just pleased if my arms are the same length when i return from a walk as they were when i started!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I like relaxed loose-lead walking. As long as they stay on the side they`re put and don`t pull I`m happy. We all potter along till we meet a possible problem, like oncoming dogs or kids, then I divert or put them in a sit cos we all take up a lot of room.
(I`m walking 3 atm)
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I dont mindabout where they are as long as there is no pulling.I only ask for "heelwork" in comp or training. I dont allow any sniffing, and they only have one wee if on the lead.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Depends where I am to be honest. If on a busy street then yes I insist on Rupert walking by my side. If we're walking along a nice grassy verge I'll give him the go ahead to go sniff as he pleases and will wait while he sniffs. I will NOT tolerate being dragged though, not on a regular leash and not on a long line. As Rupert spends most of his time on a leash of some sort I think it's only fair he gets some freedom to sniff and pee and just generally enjoy the walk.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:22 PM
With Moon I didn't mind if he walked in front and had a bit of a sniff because he a) didn't pull, b) didn't sniff excessively and c) ignored all people and dogs.

With Cain prefer him to walk by my side to heel as he a) can be unpredicatable and lunge b) does not ignore all people and dogs c) would sniff everything given the chance so we'd take forever to get anywhere and d) would pull like a train if allowed on front.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:33 PM
depends where i walk jasper if its around the streets he walks to heal and i dont allow sniffing but if im on the field or walking around the woods and he is on lead i allow him to sniff and am a little more relaxed with him walking to heal. as long as he doesnt pull.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Mine don't walk to heal but I don't let them pull on the lead, so a bit infront I don't let them stop and sniff either if I am walking somehwere I like to get there they sniff in thier own time not mine.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't put up with pulling and sniffing when on the lead, but as long as the dog is at my side and keeps my pace on a loose lead, I am not fussed if he is a bit in front or a bit behind. If I need him closer I tell him close and shorten the lead off.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »