Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Scary moment on evening walk

It started out as any other walk does. Jack off nose down searching for bunny smells. We'd just got to the kissing gate by the side of the cattle grid when I heard a whistle and a shout. Jack went through ( or rather under the gate) and stopped the other side of the cattle grid.
I turned round to see the most beautiful GSD hurtling at me at top speed and a chap yelling " its ok she's friendly". So out of habit I go down a bit to greet the dog, only she didnt stop. She right out flattened me.
As if that wasnt enough, Jack now on the other side of the grid has panicked seeing his Mum flat out on the floor under a GSD and instead of going back the way he came, he tried to jump the grid.
Everything seemed to stop for me the minute he took off. Standing start, no run up, he didnt stand a chance. I had no time to put in a command. I knew he wouldnt make it and as he came down all I could think was that he was going to break something, probably a leg. He landed with a thud on his chest across the bars and scrabbled the rest of the way across. I managed to get to him before he stood up properly to check his bones. Miraculously all intact, I slipped on his lead and turned to see where the owners of the GSD were. It was then that I saw red
They were killing themselves laughing!!!!!
They walked over laughing out loud, giggling an apology, saying it looked really comical from a distance.
I politely tuned on my heel and walked off. If I had opened my mouth I couldnt guarantee that what was in my head wasnt going to come exploding out. So I left, scrutinising Jack's gait for lameness all the way.
Its not that I mind being bowled over by a dog, or even that she was clearly unreliable off lead. She showed no aggression at all. It was that they didnt even consider my dog or the how serious his injuries could have been.

Am I being unreasonable here?

Anyway, Jack has had his tea and a sleep. Legs are fine but his chest is bruised. I went to scoop him up and he flinched under my hand. So I gave him a good once over and nothing seems out of place or particularly painful. Extra cushion for Jack in bed tonight.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:31 PM
You are right to be angry. That GSD could have landed on a child. How frightening would that have been for a child? For them to laugh at what could have been a serious accident is beyond belief.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:37 PM
How annoying! I think they were quite rude to you.

My dog once jumped a cattle grid, again he landed on his chest, as he was from a standstill...it is upsetting but I think maybe other people don't realise ... lack of imagination or summat!

Wys
x
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Poor Jack hope he is not to sore tomorrow, big hugs from us.

I dont see why they found it funny i would of been most concerned if it was me, and would of been very embarrassed if my dog had of done that to you.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks all. I was beginning to wonder if it was me being a bit too precious about my little boy.
Jack could have really damaged himself and them laughing just really made me boil. It wasnt what their dog did that upset me, it was them and their reaction.

Thank you all for letting me rant. I shall stop now.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Poor Jack hope he is not to sore tomorrow, big hugs from us.

I dont see why they found it funny i would of been most concerned if it was me, and would of been very embarrassed if my dog had of done that to you.
Indeed same here.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Big hugs to jack and you. Hope you arent too sore either!
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
Big hugs to jack and you. Hope you arent too sore either!
Thank you, I think I'll survive. Nothing a hot bath, a glass of wine and 2 (ouch) donuts hasnt cured!!!
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
Thank you, I think I'll survive. Nothing a hot bath, a glass of wine and 2 (ouch) donuts hasnt cured!!!
Yes indeed, hope its a strong wine tho......purely to numb the pain of course
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Hugs to you both!

Teagan fell on a cattle grid last year (all 8 stone of her!)
She scraped and bruised all her underside and thighs.
I was nearly crying, and by the time i'd ran to her, she'd scrabbled onto normal ground
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >