Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Dogs kept in crates: imo: very sad, may aswell be at a zoo
I have a crate, and yes I do use the crate, not often but there are times when it has been necessary.

Also I find both my dogs go into the crate on their own, they like the safe quiet enviroment at times.

I use a crate in the car, and because they have access to one indoors I have no problems with them travelling in one.

To confine dogs to crates for hours without stimulation, exercise, and not to allow interaction - where is the quality of life!

I have seen this before and it had a devastating effect on me, but I do wonder how someone would cope with many dogs in a house ? So outside kennels imo would fair better.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
considering the variety of breeds you claim you know so much about.
At what point have I made this claim? no need for personal attacks megan57collies, just because you disagree with me doesn't give you the right to make things up
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:20 PM
i own a crate ,but only use it for emergancys,or transport,i dont think its right dogs should be kept in cages 24/7,.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:24 PM
If dogs are kept in cages 24/7 this is cruel but I know a breeder who has cages where her dogs sleep & when people come to view pups she often pops all the dogs except the mother of the pups in their cages. This may give the impression that she is a person who locks her dogs away, but it wouldn't be true. When the cage doors are open many of the dogs retire there at times for a rest. & all put themselves to bed at night,all she has to do is shut the cage doors.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I think crates are a great idea if the door is left open. It gives the dog a safety den, but sadly they're open to abuse. I've know far too many dogs whose previous owners kept their dogs crated whilst they were out at work.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
At what point have I made this claim? no need for personal attacks megan57collies, just because you disagree with me doesn't give you the right to make things up
Where have I made things up Anne. You say in your profile you've had "too many dogs to mention" and the line of work you do in rescue would see many dogs and breeds go through the system and that you have dealt with many breeds.
It was this I was referring to so where have I made a personal attack NOT made up, NOT a personal attack. Just reading your previous posts and CLAIMS of your experience which I have no reason to doubt. You have said in previous posts exactly what your feelings are on breeders. I'll happily quote your postings if you want. Kindly point me to what part of my post have I made things up about you:smt017 and I'll gladly apologise
And Yes I totally disagree with you as it happens. And when it comes to personal attacks. Have you not just attacked anyone that has their dogs kennelled or living outside as being a bad breeder?
Anyway enough off topic, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further, as this isn't really about the OP is it?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
If dogs are kept in cages 24/7 this is cruel but I know a breeder who has cages where her dogs sleep & when people come to view pups she often pops all the dogs except the mother of the pups in their cages. This may give the impression that she is a person who locks her dogs away, but it wouldn't be true. When the cage doors are open many of the dogs retire there at times for a rest. & all put themselves to bed at night,all she has to do is shut the cage doors.
Absolutely agree Sue.
I know of people that use crates (doors open) for indoor kennels, as I do myself. It's their safe area. When people come to view the pups, the dogs are popped in their cages so that the puppy viewers arent' attacked and licked to death by half a dozen dogs. Thinking about it, this may look wrong to someone coming in. To be honest though when you've been a breed for a few years you get to find out who are the good breeders and who to avoid, if you know what I mean.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I actually do the opposite. People have to meet all my dogs before they get to see the puppies, that way I can tell what kind of people they are!
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I actually do the opposite. People have to meet all my dogs before they get to see the puppies, that way I can tell what kind of people they are!
Becky
I see what you mean Becky and absolutely agree with what you say, and this is the case with friends I know. The dogs are popped in their cages or in another room then bought out. This is important for a prospective puppy buyer anyhow. I would want to see as many of the dogs as possible. I just meant to stop the bombardment at the door in the first instance. (hope that makes sense ) In a lot of cases and it happened to me. I spent a good hour at the breeders house before I even saw one dog. They were weighing up whether I was suitable before I was even allowed to see the dogs or pups. I totally respected that. I wish more people were that thorough when homing their pups.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Have you not just attacked anyone that has their dogs kennelled or living outside as being a bad breeder?
I also made this statement and certainly didnt mean it as a personal attack on anyone and Im sure Ann didnt either it was merely putting our opinion across. If because you dont agree with it you see it as a personal attack how can any debate continue?
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >