View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with most of the opinions here. The beeb dropping Crufts can only be a good thing from all sides. It's become a circus with the emphasis placed on winning top awards and appearing on television. The focus of good judging should be at breed level where placings in the lower classes are equally as important as gaining CCs and BOBs.

The whole razzmatazz of Crufts is detracting and actually fuels the breeding of exaggeration.

Regarding breeding from carriers. There are many things to consider in weighing up the risks involved, not least the welfare of the dog ie how serious the condition is in the affected dog. If the incidence of a recessive condition is high in the breed then there is more liklihood of doubling up and producing affecteds. An outcross breeding would reduce the liklihood.

With simple inheritance where we have DNA tests, then yes, breeding from carriers should not only be allowed but actively encouraged to reduce gene pool depletion. I think we're all now familiar with the protocol in that if one parent is DNA tested clear, then all the puppies will be non affecteds.

The case with SM in the Cavalier, as far as I understand, is considerably more serious because of the high incidence in the breed and the acute pain suffered in some affecteds. The actual affected status may not be high but the phenotype that predisposes to the condition is widespread in the breed and inheritance is not simple, and influenced by other factors like skull shape.

Given the serious nature of this condition and based on what I've read about SM, I would only continue with the breed if there was introduction from outcross bloodlines of another breed, primarliy to alter the skull shape.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Mornin Dani

Trouble is, if we look at all the diseases carried by dogs they are carried in different ways by different genes. I hope someone can answer about SM with more knowledge than I.
If it is dominant no dog should be bred from with the trait. Full stop.

All dogs carry bad genes, we just need to understand how each is passed on...and we are getting there slowly. However, we cannot cleanse isolated dog populations (breeds) of disease. If we try, another will emerge, and we risk an increase of auto-immune problems multiplying. Please do not read this for an excuse not to test, or breed badly. It is not, but we cannot achieve the impossible in isolated gene pools with closed stud books. The breeds are only as healthy as their foundation (stock) and the selective breeding that we do. We can only work with what we have.

M
PS Sorry very OT, responding to valid question
thanks i think i understand what you mean but i definetly agree that dogs with dominant disease genes should never be bred from.
not sure about the other as i suppose it depends on who they are bred to aswell....

thanks for answering though, i think we are basically saying the same thing !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Regarding Crufts, I agree with Dani and Pod.

Regarding genetics - what about in the case of epilepsy? I was given to understand that mode of inheritance is not known, that it may be due to more than one gene (?) and that if just one dog is a carrier, it can manifest itself much further down the line - so that the only way to stop it is to stop breeding from those lines.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd like to also say I'm sick fed up standing ringside at shows watching owners blatantly painting dogs.I have seen it done with mainly boxers and dobes and spraying substances on them too.I always thought your dog was only to have a brush up before entering,just goes to show they'll do anything to get a rossette these days.Crufts to me isn't what it used to be and I can bet there are a load of people have the same thoughts as I do xxxxxxxxxx
YorkieRose
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Is anything regarding the so called sport of dog showing what it used to be? I think it stopped being a sport many years ago.
Showing AKC is difficult without a professional handler who knows all the tricks of the trade.
Of course, there are those who disagree and point to breeders who do very well, but when I see 7 enteries and 5 are professionally handled, it certainly reduces ones odds of winning, especially the BOB.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm certain Crufts will continue, it continued for years without coverage & now I'm sure for a lot of people its the qualifying that makes Crufts as big as it is. I can remember going to Crufts in London when it was just another show on the calendar & you went if you liked the judge & could afford to get there. We only went as we had relatives in London, long journey & no motorways. As soon as the size of entries meant there had to be restrictions & qualifying came in there was more cudos & many more people wanted to go. Now with the pet passport we have large entries from abroad in some breeds & so I doubt this programme will make any difference. Price of entries & petrol might make more but very little I think.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Why should Crufts be affected by the BBC not shoing it ???
We have dozens of other champ shows during the year,non of which are televised....OF COURSE IT WILL CONTINUE
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I used to like the `events` occasionally shown on the Beeb during Crufts, but lately the presenters have spoiled it for me - I just wanted to slap them for irelevant waffling and sheer unprofessionalism. And now it`s north of Watford I`m unlikely to go. I`ll be very surprised if this programme is remembered next month, let alone next year so I don`t think it`ll make any difference at all, apart from the the KC getting a bit more savvy about PR.
Unfortunately I think you are so right! Nothing will change as you say the programme will not be remembered and so the KC will continue to carry on its rediculous sponsoring of damaged dogs, those within the breeds will continue using damaged studs, those who show will turn a blind eye to all the bad breeding that goes on, and those that love it will say who cares so long as the shopping is good.
liz
Dogsey Junior

22-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Crufts is great for the names, once in a while a non face dose well.
Most dog show's at champshow level are bent, and when you see a face at an open show you know what they are there for.
My sister has done well in her breed at crufts and other big champ show's but its few and far between, i know i am mad but i have started showing ( well learning) my shiba, i love the day out but know the face will always come before me no matter how good by boy is.

It's about time that the kc, judges where made to come clean and be honest.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
they take a calculated risk, when buying programmes from independent companies... as to whether it will give them good viewing, and ratings...nothing more.
Yes, I don't think the genral population ever really think about what motivates the media, it certainly isn't anything to do with ethics and morality, it's just "How can we get our ratings up" which almost invaribly means going for the lowest common denominator, hence the rise of the mindless reality programme, the stuffed with sex & violence programmes, the inane chat shows, and the humilitating quiz programmes, need I say more

Can you tell I don't much like the media
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >