Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:22 AM

To enter Open or Champ shows?

It is proving very hard to find open shows with any class for my breed, so I'm nearly always going to have to enter our puppy in the AVNSC classes, where again I'm quite unlikely to meet any other pups of the same breed as they are few and far between. Even at Champ show, looking at past results there are often only 3 or 4 pups in the class.

Would you say there's much to gain in entering Open shows even though we're always going to be up against different breeds, or would I be better concentrating on Champ shows and our various breed club open shows where there will nearly always be breed classes where we can compete against other pups of the same breed to see how we compare? Obviously there is the coast issue of entering the Champ shows v Open.

We have been going to ringcraft since she was 14 weeks old and she behaves pretty well and enjoys showing (AKA showing off )

x
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 10:43 AM
It depends why you are showing, if you want to qualfy for crufts then you would need to enter championship shows (some large open shows are premier shows where you can also qualify).

If you are very new to showing the open shows are really good experience for both you and your dog, the downside would be not meeting others in your breed that show, if she loves showing off you are half way there! Good luck to you whatever you do.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 11:06 AM
The problem with Open shows, is that if you never enter them under AVNSC, then you will never get a class of your own ! The Clubs that hold the shows look at entries and if they never see a breed entered they will have no reason to change the schedule next year.

One of our local shows had 2 classes for my breed for a while, but due to lack of entries it was reduced to only 1 single Open class, which is offputting, as people dont want to show a puppy in the same class as a potential Champion, which isn't fair, so now even less people will enter it, but had the entries been kept up, we would still have 2 classes for the breed.

However, open shows are great practise, experience and get the dogs used to the general showing atmosphere.

Have you entered Bath Champ, it's not far from you.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

Have you entered Bath Champ, it's not far from you.

Hi Malady,

No, not entered Bath. Kind of forgot to start entering shows as puppy got to the age where she can show, so missed closing dates of quite a few local open shows as well as Bath! Her brother will be there though.

We are going to Southern Counties on 31st May however, not far to travel either (just the other way down the M4!)

Good point about the Open show entries, thanks!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Do as many as you reasonably can of every type of show to get the widest experience which should be good for both of you. We have relatively low entries in Ireland apart from the Internationals and major Champ shows especially where there are two in a weekend and worth the UK mainland exhibitors making the trip, so a lot of the time - I know exactly what you mean regarding the search for breed classes with decent numbers!
Good luck.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Think I have answered this one, may be elsewhere or my post has been removed. Anyway, think I suggested you joined a breed club and it may be an idea to ask the breeder if they show as they will know of open shows who classifies classes for your breed.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Think I have answered this one, may be elsewhere or my post has been removed. Anyway, think I suggested you joined a breed club and it may be an idea to ask the breeder if they show as they will know of open shows who classifies classes for your breed.
Hi, yes we have just applied to join the national breed club, so hopefully they'll have info on open shows etc. Yes, the breeder shows and judges, so will pick their brains when we see them at Southern Counties. Seem to be on the phone to them frequently asking questions so don't want to annoy them too much!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
Seem to be on the phone to them frequently asking questions so don't want to annoy them too much!
Don't worry they will be very pleased you are going to show and with how successful you were at your first show and will be just as keen as you are to get you and (their) pup to as many shows as suitable.