View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I noticed the same about the GSD, Becky. It didnt look happy or comfortable - perhaps it was a case of who you know for it to get as far as it did. I'm not keen on the low backs of them either.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Someone on another site mentioned that it may be the lack of double handling that caused the problems
Becky
Diamond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Loved the samoyed.. but am biased as I love spitz breeds
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
The problem with the GSD was the ring.In germany (and here in germanic gsd specific shows)they are not shown doing triangles etc but in HUGE rings on long leads gaiting ahead of the handler...sometimes for an awful long time.That dog was this years german seiger...a huge title in there homeland and something that many breeders over here can only aspire to.
To expect a dog to then adapt to a small ring and not look slightly 'uncomfortable' would be a lot to ask.The dog would not only have won in the conformation ring but to become seiger would have proved his working ability too...STUNNING dog!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I thought the schnauzer looked stunning tonight...better than ever...well deserved.IMO
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
The problem with the GSD was the ring.In germany (and here in germanic gsd specific shows)they are not shown doing triangles etc but in HUGE rings on long leads gaiting ahead of the handler...sometimes for an awful long time.That dog was this years german seiger...a huge title in there homeland and something that many breeders over here can only aspire to.
To expect a dog to then adapt to a small ring and not look slightly 'uncomfortable' would be a lot to ask.The dog would not only have won in the conformation ring but to become seiger would have proved his working ability too...STUNNING dog!
I wouldn't call the BIS ring small!
Becky
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
It is when you are used to running/showing round an athletic track or similar...see photo

this is a photo from the sieger show in germany
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I wouldn't call the BIS ring small!
Becky
It is compared to german rings for them though

Someone I know has that dogs' son, and the whole direct family of the dog are top dogs.

That is how the Germans breed them , and as they derived from Germany, I think that's how they should be, as they still work there and perform and have to have certain termperament and working tests to become a Sieger (!) so he's obvously done well
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
think that dog is in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBiNdqMpwDc

they do look pretty odd to me, but i understand that in Germany a certain level of achievement in these tests, and satisfactory health tests have to be carried out before they can be bred from? can't be bad! but even if they are sound, how does this dog compare to the KC standard? does it specify anything to do with the topline?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
standard states..
Withers long, of good height and well defined, joining back in a smooth line without disrupting flowing topline, slightly sloping from front to back.
as usual it is down to 'interpretation'....personally I like this type of dog and to me they fit the standard,others prefer the squarer english type...each to their own.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >