Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2008, 09:57 AM

When to begin showing?

Hi,

Our pup will be six months old at the beginning of March. We have been going to ringcraft since early Jan, but not doing lots and lots of training as I don't want to out too much pressure on a young puppy to not have that puppy playfulness still. She will stand for the judge without wriggling and is fine about being gone over. She is getting used to walking on a show lead, but the floor at training is wooden parquet which isn't ideal to get a puppy to walk nicely on, especially when there are lots of nice smells and other dogs in close proximity to say hello to.

I have taken her back to her breeders a few times for them to see her and for her to have playtimes with her brother who they kept for showing. We went on Sunday and they think she is looking good - perfect ears, very good tail set (they're a previously docked breed so I don't think anyone is quite sure what the tails should be doing yet), good size and bone, very showy (a show off?!).

My question is, is it worth enetering a few shows now so we both get used to how things work and gain experience? I am new to this too. We have our club show this weekend which we are going along to as spectators, but she is a few weeks to young to show.

I am in the process of hand stripping her, but a lot of her puppy coat isn't ready for stripping yet so although her body looks fairly good, her face is still quite whispy with puppy coat. Would I be better waiting 2 or 3 months until she looks better groomed, or just go along to enjoy a few days out with her and to gain experience?

All advice/comments gratefully received. Perhaps I'll take some decent photos of her for the "critique" section

K
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I am in the process of hand stripping her, but a lot of her puppy coat isn't ready for stripping yet so although her body looks fairly good, her face is still quite whispy with puppy coat. Would I be better waiting 2 or 3 months until she looks better groomed, or just go along to enjoy a few days out with her and to gain experience?
I wouldn't wait, it will be good for your pup to get experience of the show scene as well as in the ring. good luck
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I would certainly enter a few Open shows now. They're great training grounds for puppies and the vast majority of judges will be very forgiving when faced with a pup having a ball in the ring Remember that the entries will close some time before the show so you'll have at least another four or five weeks before the actual show date.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Debs
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd enter her locally at open shows, it will be good practise for you both and most judges forgive puppies for playing in the ring. Good luck let us know how she does.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm with the others I'd enter her for a few local shows good practice for her and for you.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Jump in with both feet and most importantly - enjoy it!
If you enjoy it, your puppy is more likely to have a good time too.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd certainly enter her at open & limited shows locally. The atmosphere ar a show is so different from ringcraft. Then when you see how she is & when you are more confident you can travel further afield & the judges response & critiques will guide you when to go for the Championship shows.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks all for your help and advice.

I have found a couple of open shows fairly local to us in late March/early April.

One of them says: Entries close 25th Feb. Qualifying date Monday Feb 18th

So have we missed the entry date, or do we have time to send it off this weekend would you say?

I can see I need to do lots of reading up on rules, regs, terminology etc!

K x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 04:00 PM
You still have time to enter Kate qualifying date I think refers to the date after which a win won't count against you. For example if you win any class other than Puppy it stops you going in maiden a but if you won a class between the 19th & 26th it doesn't count so you can enter after the19th even if you are at a show between then & entries closing.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 04:06 PM
so long as when you do your first shows you just take it as a laugh you will be fine, but if you get nervy or stressed the dog will pick up on this and will then see showing as a stressy nervy thing, just remember its all fun, good luck x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >