View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:57 AM
The half checks aren't used to control the dog, they just are very fine and elegant and don't interfere with the dog any more than is necessary. I show mine on a loose lead it's just I prefer that if the did pull up on it it wont choke them. Wilson could easily get his head out of his half check even on it's tightest!
Becky
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The half checks aren't used to control the dog, they just are very fine and elegant and don't interfere with the dog any more than is necessary. I show mine on a loose lead it's just I prefer that if the did pull up on it it wont choke them. Wilson could easily get his head out of his half check even on it's tightest!
Becky
So you have experience of showing BC's then ? I didn't say they were used to control the dog & they are not all fine mine were shown on a 1/2 or 3/4 inch half checks hardly fine

Sorry I didn't think you had ever owned a BC, Bec
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I was actually responding to Alice's post saying she didn't need a half check as her dog walks nicely on a lead!
Becky
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Now I'm confused, I odn't understand what I should be doing?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Really what feels most comfortable for you and your dog. It just needs to blend in as much as possible so it isn't obvious!
Becky
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Well in that case I think I'll get the white slip lead for now. We might end up getting no where in the show world but it's worth buying anyway
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Well in that case I think I'll get the white slip lead for now. We might end up getting no where in the show world but it's worth buying anyway
I would too to be honest, then at least if you find Showing isn't for you, you won't have wasted a fortune on a lead you'll never use.

The best way to decide what might suit you and your dog is to look at other BCs at shows and see what others use, then see what you like best.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Alice
For what it's worth. I do not know of anyone that shows a border collie on a slip lead.
Borders are shown on a relatively long lead as they are run on a loose lead.
Personally I show on a very fine check chain and a 5ft long fine leather lead.
The check chain has nothing to do with controlling the dog. That's what ringcraft training is for. I use it because it hides under the coat easily and doesn't mess with his white collar.
A fine half check is also popular and the difference is it's easier to run the dog both sides on a half check. I use one of these for my handling classes for instance.
In terms of leads I use a fine leather one but as long as it is of good length and flexible and blends in.
I get all of my stuff from Luxway as I've found it good quality and doesn't cost the earth. A chain and lead would set you back around £14
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I bought mine from redcape and love it. Don't know how strong it actually is yet as not used it much but just a word of advice.. get a soft leather one if the dog pulls!

I borrowed one for the first.... year! And it was a very fine, hard rolled leather and ripped my hands to shreds when she pulled. The soft leather one I got from redcape is far more comfortable for both of us.

Oh and mine is a half check, I've only ever seen very small dogs being shown on a slip lead although I do know a couple of dally people who use them.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Hi Alice
For what it's worth. I do not know of anyone that shows a border collie on a slip lead.
Borders are shown on a relatively long lead as they are run on a loose lead.
Personally I show on a very fine check chain and a 5ft long fine leather lead.
The check chain has nothing to do with controlling the dog. That's what ringcraft training is for. I use it because it hides under the coat easily and doesn't mess with his white collar.
A fine half check is also popular and the difference is it's easier to run the dog both sides on a half check. I use one of these for my handling classes for instance.
In terms of leads I use a fine leather one but as long as it is of good length and flexible and blends in.
I get all of my stuff from Luxway as I've found it good quality and doesn't cost the earth. A chain and lead would set you back around £14
Try telling that to a Springer! She moves perfectly to heel in the ring, but has serious ants in her pants inbetween!

I'd still stick to what you're most comfortable with, rather than conforming to everyone else. I use a half leather/half check chain, never seen anyone else use one in a Springer ring, but it works for me and that's the main thing.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >