Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Confused about crufts!!!

Ok .....

I have never been to crufts before and would like to go either friday or saturday and would like to take my godson who is 3..(better start the doggy addiction early!!!)

whats the setup there is it all standing , do you have to have seats, what is the general place like can you walk around, would like to go to the discover dogs area so he can get to know different doggies....

What would you recommend???

Thanks

Alex
xx
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
there are a lot of seats around the rings and personally I wouldnt take my own. I buy way to much and wouldn't want the extra weight, head straight to the discover dog area early or very late as it's probably the busiest area also friday will be quieter than the weekend, at certain parts of the day it gets very busy and is diffucult to move around especially around popular breeds and stalls, also there are always lines for the ladies im there Thursday ring 27 28 but if I need the loo I head for the toilets by the field spaniel ring as they are much quieter
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks, will print you response and keep it in my handbag...

Alex
xx
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by gracelund View Post
but if I need the loo I head for the toilets by the field spaniel ring as they are much quieter
hey dont be telling everyone, or we'll be getting queues!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
To be honest I wouldn't take a three year old to Crufts. It's a huge pace and the crowds are, at times, unbearable. It's hard to explain how massive it is really and how much walking is required to get around all seven halls! The noise can be quite overwhelming too.

I think you'd be better off taking him to a normal Ch show considering his age.

Debs
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Good advice given - I wouldn't take a Three yr old either, totally agree. I was shattered going around it as it is way bigger than you think and you do end up walking loads, my feet were killing after a while!! The noise is a good thing to point out, it is very noisy I remember commenting on that when I arrived on my first visit.

You'd be better off going alone, there are lots of seats to sit on, especially around the breed rings where they are judged. Tons to see and do, but I think a child that age would become tired very quickly and you'd end up not enjoying the show to its full potential and the child would probably get fractious. Perhaps wait until they are a few yrs older?
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

04-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I have to agree with Surannon, Crufts is noisy, dusty , packed , hot and the queues for the loos are unbelievable. It is often hard to get a good view of the dogs being judged in the rings, and I think the whole experience would be enough to put a small child off going ever again.

Better far to go to one of the smaller shows at the NEC, or one of the open air ones in the summer where there will be lots more room, grass to sit on and you will see far more of the dogs. Sorry to be so negative , but it is an expensive way of getting tired out, aching feet and a blinding headache. But I.m prejudiced, I liked it when it was a DOG Show, not a Circus. Kath
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Honestly, fari enough thats why i asked, last time i went to Birmingham was for the motor show and that was very busy,

I will just tell his mum i cant get tickets.....

Alex
xx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I have to agree with Surannon, Ann-Marie and Kath . Crufts is great but it isnot the place to take a 3year old,I would leave taking him till he is about 6 years old. You would enjoy it much better not having to trail a cranky tired out little boy around and he too will enjoy it much more when he is a little older.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I think you are making the right decision alex, and agree with the thoughts of others.
I dont think it would be an enjoyable experience for either of you in the long run - and its a long way to travel to put it to the test. Maybe in a few years treat your godchild to the 'delights' of Crufts - he has plenty of time ahead.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >