Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Morisato13
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Help! My dog has a limp!

I'm noticing that my dog limps. It's always the worst when she wakes up but throughout the day it gets better. At it's worst it looks like she's about to stumble when ever she puts weight on it, and at the best she walks normally but at a stop always raises the sore leg. It's never 100% but it gets significantly better the more she walks it off. She also seems to like to sleep a lot. What do I do?
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Morisato13 View Post
I'm noticing that my dog limps. It's always the worst when she wakes up but throughout the day it gets better. At it's worst it looks like she's about to stumble when ever she puts weight on it, and at the best she walks normally but at a stop always raises the sore leg. It's never 100% but it gets significantly better the more she walks it off. She also seems to like to sleep a lot. What do I do?
Have you taken her to your vet?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi how old what breed is she? maybe more info will help with advise
Morisato13
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2012, 08:38 PM
She's a beagle, around 8 years old. I've taken her to two different vets a few years in the past regarding a similar issue. One gave me chewable painkillers and told me not to worry about it. The other told me he thought she had an issue that would require operation to fix. He said he used to do the operation a lot when he was younger but he doesn't do them anymore because they're too risky and not worth it, both financially, emotionally, and physically, so he gave me a script for liquid painkillers. I gave her the painkillers for a while and walked her regularly and eventually she got better. This was a few years back. Not sure if it's the same issue but it did look the same with the limping, however, the past issue, she never got better throughout the day. It was always a consistant amount of limping. She also didnt seem as miserable as she does now so it might be a different issue.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:54 PM
I have no experience of this but maybe arthritis??? Not sure what the vets give for that but I think fish body oil would help as far as I have read on here, hopefully someone will be on with more help keep a look in, but I would try the fish oils anyway in the older dog x x
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Id try another vet my dog was limping for over a year off and on,when I went vets they told me to get her to loose weight and gave her metacam. They xrayed her hips and diagnosed mild hip dysplasia. My poor girl was still lame so I kept taking her back and eventually 3weeks ago they diagnosed that the problem all along was ruptured crutiate, which has now been operated on. I hope you are able to find out why your dog is lame and she is better soon
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:25 PM
we could all give our opinions, mine would be that it could be arthritis, but in truth you should really seek out a vet for a qualified opinion before it becomes unbearable for your dog. It could just be arthritis and some metacam and supplements may help but it could also be something totally different.
You really need a proper diagnosis.