View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffiesarecool
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2006, 05:54 PM

Dog snappy with possessions - how to stop the behaviour?

i am new here so i hope i am doing this right.

My Pomeranian Gemma can be snappy, like when she steals a piece of tissue and i try and get it off her she gets a bit nasty and tries to bite me when i take it off her. I just leave her with it when she does, but as i have small children coming to visit i do worry in case they tried to take something off her.
Is there any way i can stop this, she is just over 1 year old now, and has always done it, i am afraid i have spoilt her a bit i think.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi fluffiesarecool if you wish to take something from your dog offer her something else in exchange, like a toy or tipbit then praise when she lets go..also teach her to 'leave'..some info here from Shadowboxer ..

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...8&postcount=13

and how I teach the 'leave'
Start by sitting on the floor with a biscuit/treat in your hand showing it to the dog, as soon as she goes to take it hide it with the fingers and say 'leave' then treat and praise when she does .When she has grasped this idea move on to placing an object (toy/biscuit) on the floor and as soon as she reaches it say leave, pick it up and then praise/treat . The treat you are giving needs to be a high level reward than the one you are taking away, so use a bit of meat or cheese.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Agree it is a matter of teaching the dog that nothing belongs to her and she must give it up to a human. You would not leave children or strangers with the dog anyway so the problem of them trying to take something from her should not occur. However you need to sort the problem, never chase her for something she has stolen rather call her to you and exchange the stolen prize for something else. Sometimes I will take the item and then if it is harmless I will give it or a portion of it back.
fluffiesarecool
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:42 PM
i have tried what you suggested and i am afraid she bit me, i have a nasty bite on my hand so now i am scared to take anything of her, my husband is firmer with her but sometimes i think she is getting hurt and i shout at him not to be so firm, am i just being to soft or am i right to treat her so gently as she is such a small dog?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:45 PM
what do you mean by firm, is he hitting her or shoutin at her or is it a deep voice that he uses?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Being heavy handed with a spitz breed does not work, well not in my experience.

Think you may need someone who knows what they are doing should visit you and watch what is going on. Try replacing the item you wish to take with something else. But if this is a puppy you need to stop it and not by hitting as that will make matters worse, the pup will become more determined to keep the prize and in the end you will get bitten in earnest.
fluffiesarecool
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:51 PM
he shouts and is using a strong voice with her, and has sometimes grabbed her by the scruff when she is being nasty, she yelps when he has done that, its surprise why she yelps as i know he wouldnt ever hurt her, but i get upset when she isnt happy so i usually shout at him and then cuddle her and give in to her.
fluffiesarecool
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:53 PM
she is 16 months old now and not a puppy
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Think between you the dog is now totaly confused, take her to training classes together and talk about how you are going to deal with problems, at the moment you are on the way to causing real problems.
fluffiesarecool
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:56 PM
ok, i wll try and find a training class nearby.
Do you mean i am confusing you or i am confusing my dog?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >