View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 03:10 PM
id love a pedigree cat.. but i know this may sound weird, but i just couldnt justify spending that much money on a cat....

both of mine are typcial moggies from a farm which the farmer was going to drown... so cant really think about spending £££ on a cat when i got mine for free and they nedded me... i may have one one day though
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
id love a pedigree cat.. but i know this may sound weird, but i just couldnt justify spending that much money on a cat....
Just as the dog breed clubs have breed rescue, so do the cat clubs! Have a look through the list of clubs on the GCCF website and look for links to their rescue co-ordinators. Of course you will need to pay a minimal donation and be home-checked, but there are always lots of pedigree cats needing homes, many of which will have come from homes with resident dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Just as the dog breed clubs have breed rescue, so do the cat clubs! Have a look through the list of clubs on the GCCF website and look for links to their rescue co-ordinators. Of course you will need to pay a minimal donation and be home-checked, but there are always lots of pedigree cats needing homes, many of which will have come from homes with resident dogs.
oooh i like persians... and i like maine coon.. ragdoll... siamese....
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 03:43 PM

both of mine are typcial moggies from a farm which the farmer was going to drown... so cant really think about spending £££ on a cat when i got mine for free and they nedded me... i may have one one day though
Its a rescue cat
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Erm, I didn't spend any money at all on purchasing me evil twosome (in fact the most i've ever spent on a cat, well 2 was 2 moggies from the CPL) .... a friend of their breeder knew i was looking for a kitten and put me in touch, as Gina was not getting on with the other breeding queens she asked if I would be prepared to take her with her kitten, who wasn't standard for showing or breeding... breeder even paid for Gina to be spayed when hugo was weaned.

Breed rescues are always an option, or I know that friend of mine sold a puppy to someone whose daughter runs a large cat rescue in Lancashire/Greater Manchester who frequently takes in pedigree cats, unfortunately recently whole rafts of them because they can't sell the kittens or afford to look after the adults.

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Wow, Kate, soundsl ike you have two candidates for feline raw feeding there!

Now I wonder if their interest in the chicken is because they know they need the extra fat in their diets? I assume it's fat & calories they need, I know that Devon & Cornish Rex benefit from more fat in their diets to keep warm.

Have you tried them on anything like raw breast of lamb? My Siamese & Orientals liked a strip of that occasionally.

Do many naked cat owners (no, that should read: owners of naked cats!!) feed raw? Do they do better on the higher fat content?
One anyway, Hugo isn't as keen - that said both of them will try and eat most things... favourites include boiled cabbage, they were a little disappointed with the quorn sausages but they ate them anyway.

Yes, the like lamb breast, also venison/lamb and mutton ribs, weren't so flapped about the pork ribs though. They don't get them often.... well the lamb breast anyway as it's far too fattening for the dogs so I tend not to buy it. The ribs, which don't have that much meat on, they have to gnaw on occasionally but not that often because they will insist on leaving what the don't finish off in my bed (joys of house cats)

I know of a few sphynx people that feed raw, there is a lady in Aus who has a great blog on feeding hers, including diet sheets and the like. I think they would do better on a higher fat content diet, but the neuered/spayed ones would blow up quite fast and they are well known for becoming "round" in their later years!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Why wouldnt spending "that" much money on a pedigree Cat be justified? How much is "much?" Your reasons given can be equally applied to dogs, yet Im assuming you would buy one of those?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why wouldnt spending "that" much money on a pedigree Cat be justified? How much is "much?" Your reasons given can be equally applied to dogs, yet Im assuming you would buy one of those?
i dont know really. i probably would buy one, but where i live there are alot of farms that will drown them, so i suppose i look at it that when i have saved both of mine from drowning and not paid a price, that spending however much on a cat.

yes i would spend more on a dog, but i think because with dogs ive always had a certain breed, where as ive never had a pedigree cat, or know anyone personally that has one, they all just have your bog standar moggy i do like pedigree cats, and would probably have one, but iver never been brought up with specific cat breeds, or in a place where cats are really seen as a much loved pet. plus cats are also alot more independent than dogs, so i suppose you tend not to be involved with the cat as much as you would with a dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 05:32 PM
i dont know really. i probably would buy one, but where i live there are alot of farms that will drown them, so i suppose i look at it that when i have saved both of mine from drowning and not paid a price, that spending however much on a cat.

yes i would spend more on a dog, but i think because with dogs ive always had a certain breed, where as ive never had a pedigree cat, or know anyone personally that has one, they all just have your bog standar moggy i do like pedigree cats, and would probably have one, but iver never been brought up with specific cat breeds, or in a place where cats are really seen as a much loved pet. plus cats are also alot more independent than dogs, so i suppose you tend not to be involved with the cat as much as you would with a dog.
The highlighted bit was my point really. The circumstances you describe relate to dogs too.

I appreciate your point, and up until I had the Persians I had always and have subsequently had moggies, all rescues. The persians are lovely, but when I got the British Shorthairs, the difference was dramatic, they are THE breed for me, much like we find with our dogs. The breeds vary just like dogs do in character and temperament etc.. I think you would be surprised.

Cats are not as "expensive" as Dogs, 18yrs ago I paid £60 for the brown tabby Persian I still have, I bought her unregistered, knowingly and of course a pet only. I paid £300, £300 (should have been £360 but already had one from her) and £350 for the last one who should have been £600 going to Dubai! Again, same breeder and in the end she preferred my home to exporting, thats one of the things I like about her.

I dont think those prices are excessive for a pedigree, well bred and reared kitten, who's parents are health tested and the kitten registered.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 06:14 PM
....oh, bi eyed white Norwegian forest please
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3