Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
No hun it was suggested that was a reason for rehoming a dog - that it WOULD MISS going to shows so was a reason for rehoming - it was not my suggestion I was disagreeing with that statement.
But what i was saying was the dog would see the other dogs and owners leaving to go to a show and would be left behind..In the new home that would not be happening so i doubt it would enter the dogs head, but as im not a dog i cant say what a dog feels/remembers/thinks.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
No hun it was suggested that was a reason for rehoming a dog - that it WOULD MISS going to shows so was a reason for rehoming - it was not my suggestion I was disagreeing with that statement.

I dont know who said that my point was that leaving a dog at home alone is unkind, not him missing the show scene.

is it not better for a dog to be in a home with people, than be left all day on its own, or left in a kennel

My greys do not miss the track, they love being lazy and love finding out what it is like to be a dog. Dont go there JB you know damn well how I feel about THAT subject
Not sure why not bring the greys into it, you are 100% qualified to vouch for the dogs being no worse off , being re homed.

Your greys are happy to leave one industry to settle into a different life, so why should it be any different for others dogs..

Surely you would rather see a dog in someone's home, with all the creature comforts, then see it live its remaining life as a kennel dog.. would see an owner keep a dog jus tot satisfy someones sense of morality, than re home it to a good home..

The life it has led is not a bad one, its different to what
you would want, but its not cruel or wrong, just different.

Right firstly me and you are not allowed to agree on anything ok

Secondly IMO no one should take any hobby (and lets face it that is all dog showing is - it has no other purpose) if they cannot care for the fallout from that hobby.

No Spot on that you are wrong, for many its just a hobby, but for others its far more, its the basis of the breed, and as for caring about the fallout, they do, how many end up in rescue centres... the reputable breeder who is passionate about their breed, who has and is instrumental in the breeding existence past and present...do not send their dogs to rescue, they vet the homes they go to , just like they vet the homes for their pups..

Breeders re homing their dogs (stock) do not clog up the rescue system

Assistants dogs ie guide dogs etc I do not see as hobby dogs - do you?
But the issue is, do the dogs see it any different, does the guide dog feel any different to the show dog when it is re homed... as the argument is given by some that the dog will be traumatized... so given that theory, a dog beign traumatized is a dog beign traumatized.. end of, one may be seen as a necessary evil, the other a discarded dog.. but to the dog, its the same.. he will move , and settle, and be happy in the end. as you can vouch more than most.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Right firstly me and you are not allowed to agree on anything ok

haha okies

Secondly IMO no one should take any hobby (and lets face it that is all dog showing is - it has no other purpose) if they cannot care for the fallout from that hobby.
opps sorry am agreeing again!..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Now that is a wonderful post! reppies reppies for that! JB you do my head in at times and at other time I love you!
Awww spot, its mutual

You know I respect your convictions, dogs need people like you, but then as you say, we can love each other one minute and be at each others throats the next, but then thats what makes a good forum, different opinions,
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So because Runes experience has been difficult, she is extending it to the rest of the rescue population.

My experiences personally have been in my adult life 2, and both where OK, oh no sorry, one we sent back, it was just after we got married, and I was home sick, we got a OES from the rescue, sadly it did not work out, not the dogs fault, but 100% ours, we acted without thought, and the truth was , we at that time could not give the dog the home he needed, so we took him back, hewent on to the right home...

Most of my walking friends have rescues, and never had a problem.

Through my childhood and young adult hood, its all we had rescues . we lived in a life of not analysing dogs, we took them in and got on with it....
I worked closely with a rescue centre for 8 years and dealt with the fallout and the many problems.

So I am not just talking about my dogs.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
The greyhounds---like the ex brood bitches I have known, have a far better life when they are homed on.

That really shouldn't be the case when the dog comes from a so called decent breeder.

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think you are hung up on a word.. do not the guide dog association have breeding stock does it give you the same message, do the hunt not have breeding stock, the police...

Its a word, nothing more, unless you want to turn it into something to suit an argument.
IMO tottaly different, guide dogs etc serve a purpose -they are not used totally as a hobby - or would you describe them as that?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I will be answering both JB and DD when I am more awake but right now its the last day of the season (footy) and I have been drowing my sorrows - so bear with me I will be back when I am more ermm myself
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It is a shame you can't discuss anything for long without resorting to playground language.

You would, of course, defend the rehoming of dogs not making the grade. After all it is what you said you would do with your young dog.

As I said if it makes anyone happier to think it is the best thing for the dog then thats fine, just don't expect me to agree.

I get another sm for your reply (G)!

rune
Playground language? What, because I said you were spouting rubbish? Do me a favour, you are an expert at it! Without even basic animal husbandry knowledge, all the other stuff you spout is usually just as meaningful, so please, give yourself a break.

I never said I would rehome my dog if she didnt make the showing grade, you obviously have other difficulties too Rune, like reading, but Ill stop the sarcasm and humour you for a moment. I actually said, if she had any significant conformational faults I would have no choice but to rehome her, as I wouldnt contemplate breeding from a dog that was substandard in any way, and none typical of the breed, or perhaps I should, give you something else to moan about! By the time Livvy was 5mths she was staying, she will never be rehomed whether she wins in the ring or never ever gains a single place, IMO she is a lovely bitch worthy of breeding from conformationally and temperament wise (at this stage) and hopefully she will go on to do so.

I have much pity for you Rune, but I do enjoy reading your posts.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Lucky Livvy.

rune
Page 26 of 36 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »