Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeyface
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2009, 11:40 PM

My dog attacked the electrician

Ok, he didn't attack. But I have a 1 and a half year old Chihuahua, and during the week I am away at college so I don't see him, but I'm home every weekend. He lives with my grandma, parents, and younger sister and his brother, a dachshund.
I got a call today that when the electrician came over, he ran up and was biting his pants/ankles. This is the first time he has ever done this. He usually barks a LOT at people when they come in the house, but never like this. I try and take him out often, but my time is limited until mid may.

Especially when I get outta school in three weeks, what is the best way for me to teach him NOT to do this? He has never ever tried to bite anyone he knows, nor he does he bite when I introduce him to new people, however he is always a little nervous.
Thanks!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 05:52 AM
The easiest way is probably to keep him away in another room safe in a crate with a stuffed kong to keep him amused, because that way you can make sure he's safe and so are visitors It's important he enjoys going to the crate; or else you could put him behind a childgate but make sure he does not get out whilst a visitor is there and don't let strangers try to stroke him to help him, as some may try to do this and it won't help.

It sounds as if he's always been a little nervous, so the other thing you could do is work on a programme to gradually desensitise and counter condition him to strangers so he doesn't feel uncomfortable with them.

This means basically exposing him at a level he feels comfortable with and where he does not react, and gradually exposing him to the stimulus a bit more and a bit more over time. You can use food treats to help him associate visitors with nice things, which will help him be conditioned to accept them.

RAther than teaching him NOT to do something, you need to address the underlying issues which sound to me like nervousness/fear of strangers in the house. A good reward based trainer will probably be able to help, although it is more difficult if you are away unless your family are able to implement the programme

Wys
x
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:18 AM
People who come very occasionally should be off limit to the dog.. The dog should be crated or kept away from 'the intruder'.. A tradesman is NOT a 'normal' person coming to the house... Good on her for alerting you...