View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Btw - I started a thread about the rescue situation a while back, but nobody replied...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=166299

Are the strategies that have been tried in the last 5 to 10 years or so working? And if not, is it about time we tried something else? And what?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yes - I think it is wrong. Because they (whether unwittingly or otherwise) add to and help perpetuate the suffering - by making things 'easy' for PFs to continue.

If they refuse to take ex-breeders from known puppy farmers, they start to make things more difficult for them.

Perhaps we need a Rescue Dogs Exposed program to help them see why it's a problem

There are loads more poundies that are PTS every week, why not actively seek to 'rescue' them first - instead of helping puppy farmers get rid of unwanted/used stock - let them deal with their own problem, they certainly have enough money to.
They sure won't use money to rid of their unwanted stock thats for sure.........a spade, a hammer, over the head, brains battered in & some not quite dead but left in a ditch somewhere to die somewhere is PF's answer.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So you, as the owner of a dog lovers forum think that used dogs from puppy farmers, don't deserve help.

rune
I wondered the same, I know you said you didn't say ''''don't deserve''' but you did imply that no one should bother and allow PF'ers to do their own ''ridding'' and that would IMO be heartless as I said before some are not quite dead....they are just left to die in a cold ditch somewhere or burnt whilst still alive
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
They sure won't use money to rid of their unwanted stock thats for sure.........
I know... I was having a pot shot at all the money they do make out of dogs

I wondered the same, I know you said you didn't say ''''don't deserve''' but you did imply that no one should bother and allow PF'ers to do their own ''ridding'' and that would IMO be heartless as I said before some are not quite dead....they are just left to die in a cold ditch somewhere or burnt whilst still alive
Saying that I think rescues should not help puppy farmers get rid of stock passed it's sell-by date does not equal me saying that those dogs are not deserving - they are completely separate points.

Every dog in need is deserving, but I'd rather go and help the thousands of poundies from being PTS before doing anything to aid and abet disgusting puppy farmers take the easy option to get rid of dogs that are no more use to him - because making things easy for them will just add towards perpetuating the situation.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
ahh but where do the poundies come from? One fear the rescue I got Mia from has with any publicity is that they have found out that when people hear they are rescuing pound dogs then more people dump dogs
So helping pound dogs encourages people to dump dogs

(not that I am saying dont help pound dogs - just saying there are good and bad everywhere)
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 07:37 AM
But he got caught And the risk of getting caught will always put people off - to some degree.

Let them _choose_ to break the law. Let them _choose_ to be cruel to animals... and let the law catch up with them, put them in jail and throw away the key.

Let's not make things easy for them, let's not aid and abet them.

Does any dog deserve the chance of life? Of course it does - but lets not forget who is taking that away from them - the puppy farmers, not the rescues.
He got caught after years of killing dogs! He broke the law only in the fact that he kept dumping them in the same place and not dispersing them around the country side!

MT and other rescues like them take a tiny percent of the dogs that are used for breeding - what do you think happens to the hundreds and hundreds of others that are past their sell by date?

The majority of p/f do not use the rescue route because it is actually easier to just spade and dump! Why should they stop doing it just because some rescue gets shut down due to evil dog hating people?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Yes - I think it is wrong. Because they (whether unwittingly or otherwise) add to and help perpetuate the suffering - by making things 'easy' for PFs to continue.
If they refuse to take ex-breeders from known puppy farmers, they start to make things more difficult for them.

Perhaps we need a Rescue Dogs Exposed program to help them see why it's a problem

There are loads more poundies that are PTS every week, why not actively seek to 'rescue' them first - instead of helping puppy farmers get rid of unwanted/used stock - let them deal with their own problem, they certainly have enough money to.
That could be said of any rescue in the UK! Stop taking in dogs from people who dont want them any more and the rescue problem stops? Yes maybe but there would be many more cases such as the greyhound I posted, many more feral dogs, but sales of spades would go up I suppose!

Again where do all the thousands of ex breeders go now do you think?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 07:50 AM
It is no different beinga dog rehomed from a 'dcent' breeder to one being rehomed from a puppy farmer---it is all the same to them---it is all about their lives.
Azz---
You cannot say in one post that they deserve to live and in the next that the people who help them shouldn't be doing it.

You HAVE to come down on one side or the other, you are not even sitting on the fence---you just seem to have two opinions according to whose post you are answering!

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 07:57 AM
If you don`t approve of what a Rescue or other organisation is doing - you don`t support them.
If you really care about what your problem is - you start your own organisation or join one you approve of.
Standing on the sidelines sniping helps no-one.

The villains are the puppy farmers.
The villains are the ar**holes in Spain who hang Galgos
The villains are the *&^*s in Greece who maim, burn, cripple and poison the homeless dogs.
Sniffily saying we shouldn`t help their victims because it encourages them I find incomprehensible.

My friend has 2 ex-breeding bitches who had never been out of their shed for all their lives. Now (after patient rehab) they go walkies. If you could see these two joyful little girls delighting in what we take for granted - fresh air and a bit of grass - would you really say their death would have been better?

If anyone seriously thinks that dumping, drowning or knocking on the head a `used` piece of livestock would stop people continuing to breed, I`m afraid they have a sadly naive view of human nature.
It is legislation that will halt Puppymills. Not piling up the bodies.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Because you imply that "general" rescues (MT in this case) don't hand over dogs to breed specific rescue because they want sell the dog themselves. Do you really think they're in it for the money?
Do they give them away, or do they charge more for pure breds than mixed/mutts.......

They sure won't use money to rid of their unwanted stock thats for sure.........a spade, a hammer, over the head, brains battered in & some not quite dead but left in a ditch somewhere to die somewhere is PF's answer.

The trouble is , and what ever side you see this from, the facts are as long as rescues take surplus stock from such people, they will continue to exist.

I don`t know the answer, but I don`t understand why people cant accept that, rescues take the unwanted off their hands, and they simply fill that place with another, and another and another.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:09 AM
I can't see why people can't accept that taking a few dogs from the farms doesn't change the big picture (it does give individual dogs a life---but that it seems is not important). If they stopped taking them the farms would find another way---I am sure one we know of does their own pts if need be.

rune
Page 8 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »