View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
How would you feel if you were treated like that and showen on vido for everyone to see.?????????????
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Its very difficult to keep an enthusiastic dog "off" the sheep, with positive training methods. You gotta be faster than the dog for a start!

Personally I spend a lot of time praising my dogs for getting their work as I want it, but I have yet to find a competition sheepdog trainer who agrees with this approach.

Yes the reward for a working dog (that wants to work - and they don't all!), is the work itself. There is no food or balls or clickers required in sheepdog training with an enthusiastic dog.
Sorry, I was unclear. I was using the term "sheepdog" as a behavioural description of a dog keen to work sheep, rather than as a description of the physical appearance of the dog

Yes it is a problem for a potential working dog to be too keen, or insufficiently keen, like Goldilocks and the three bears, keeness needs to be "just right" - keen enough to do the job, but also prepared to listen to instruction, including "That'll do".

Although training can encourage or suppress behaviour, where a dog is a primarily a tool, to do a job, people don't persevere with one that is going to require an above average degree of training, be that encouragement or suppression.

Unlike doing the best you can, in the style or training methodology and techniques that you feel comfortable with, with the pet you have already bonded with, even if it can be an uphill struggle at times, and your pet may never excel in that area, however much time and patience you put in.
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I thought I'd start a thread for those wishing to discuss the bad and any good of E -collars as some have pretty much took over TeganTW's thread about recall tips - so here you go.

I would like to say they do a e - collar that vibrates not shocks which is mainly used for deaf dogs - so the owner can let teh dog off/ if it gets loose press a button to vibrate the buzzer on the dogs collar and get it to look for the owner (of course this has to be trained into them) but I think the vibrate is much better than the shock - especially those with deaf dogs that are independent.

shock collars = bad
I dont like to misstreat any dogs as they have all there own personailtys
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Seen that video before and not impressed Adam.

It's an old video of the tramp in a pub with an e collar on an 8 month old puppy ! Heaven only knows why anyone would think it appropriate to use an e collar on a lovely puppy, there are some sick people around.

What level do you use when you put two e collars on a dog at once !
So this sick individual was shocking an 8 month old puppy for recreational purposes - to show off to his cronies down the pub?

That is a disgrace!
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
So this sick individual was shocking an 8 month old puppy for recreational purposes - to show off to his cronies down the pub?

That is a disgrace!
Yes that is the world we live in to day some sick people around with nothing else on there minds but to harm the poor dogs of our world maybe in there next live they will be treated in the same way. You think ??????????????????????
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
All this thread has proved :

To start with when he Joined Dogsey, i quite liked AP,although he used ecollars, he seemed to also use other methods & contributed with some common sense.

im reallly not sure what has happened, if AP is now a different person, or hes just shown his true colours.

Its clear from this thread
1. he gets **** results from his training
2.he cant read dog body language
3.he prefers to use a ecollar before anything else
4. he thinks he understands other methods of training but does not.

Now i dont disagree that a dog can learn from a aversive if required, but would never ever ever use electricity as a training aid. Its not "right". Morally corrupt. Evil & sadistic.

before anyone uses any aversive the dog must first KNOW what alternative behaviour is required, so the correct praise can be given as soon as it is given & correct behaviour promoted.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Adam is AGREEING with us folks----he has seen the light----he KNOWS the vids show miserable dogs. He has written it.

He needs to be congratulated for understanding that his dogs are not working happily.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Adam is AGREEING with us folks----he has seen the light----he KNOWS the vids show miserable dogs. He has written it.

He needs to be congratulated for understanding that his dogs are not working happily.

rune
Not so sure about that Rune ,apparently Adam has stated elsewhere because of the unpopularity of e collars in the uk he is planning on changing to all e collar based work soon and intends to put e collars on all his dogs to promote them isn't this so Adam , do tell me I am wrong!

I am not sure how many e collars at a time his dogs will be wearing, one, two or more, Adam is a little shy about discussing this aspect of his 'work'.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Vid one, The mali. Oh my god!!!! you evil woman, her dog is nice enough, but has no reall drive does it?

Vid two, wqhich dog am i looking at? Collie looks worried

Vid 3. Are you Joking, if you want to see a dog that DOSENT know what its doing look here. Confused ,badley taught, no drive& worried

Vid 4. Thats shocking pardon the pun, slow work distracted attention, wide & forward work o HW, Worried wait on recall, sits really far awayn present. just awful

Vid 5. No real drive or speed, which is what you can get with reward methods
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Not so sure about that Rune ,apparently Adam has stated elsewhere because of the unpopularity of e collars in the uk he is planning on changing to all e collar based work soon and intends to put e collars on all his dogs to promote them isn't this so Adam , do tell me I am wrong!

I am not sure how many e collars at a time his dogs will be wearing, one, two or more, Adam is a little shy about discussing this aspect of his 'work'.
Is this true, Adam?
Closed Thread
Page 87 of 98 « First < 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 > Last »