View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I am not looking for a vet, just a law that prohibited the practice prior to 6 April 2007. That's all.

Many vets have long been unwilling to perform tail docking even when it was still legal.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:46 PM
But it has been a long held belief that ear cropping was banned under Queen Victoria and I'd like to know if this is true.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Wiki says it's been banned as far back as that Muddy. Still looking for summat under Animal Welfare Act (where people say it is banned) or DEFRA.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I am not looking for a vet, just a law that prohibited the practice prior to 6 April 2007. That's all.

Many vets have long been unwilling to perform tail docking even when it was still legal.
It may just be covered under general animal welfare laws. At least with tail docking some could argue it is in the dog's best interest if they are working dogs - but ear cropping, was only ever for two purposes really, fighting/baiting, and looks.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I've looked at the 'welfare of animals' acts during Queen Victoria's reign. No mention of ear cropping so why do so many people so strongly believed it was illegal?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It may just be covered under general animal welfare laws. At least with tail docking some could argue it is in the dog's best interest if they are working dogs - but ear cropping, was only ever for two purposes really, fighting/baiting, and looks.
That is not my understanding of the purpose ear cropping. Apparently ratters in stables were cropped to give the rats 'less to get hold off'.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Pastoral and guard dogs used to have cropped ears because they were wearing spike collars. The spikes faced outwards and were there as protection from bites to the neck by bears and wolves, floppy ears would have easily been hurt by the spikes so they cropped them.
Apart from that it was mainly for baiting and dog fighting, and later on for looks. Why, I do not know. How anyone can find cropped ears aesthetically pleasing is a mystery to me.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Ear cropping has been illegal in the UK since 1899.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post

That wasn't why I posted I was saying if vets don't know about a law there probably isn't one. Just common good sense prevailing.

But to be honest if there isn't one then perhaps we shouldn't be talking about it or it might give people ideas !
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Ear cropping has been illegal in the UK since 1899.
Well I've read that date so many times when trying to find out about this but it seems that's just when the KC 'outlawed' it.

On the other hand I read somewhere that the Animal Welfare Act banned it along with tail docking (tail docking is allowed for some dogs). But can't find any reference to the ear cropping in the Animal Welfare Act.

But it wasn't making for very exciting bedtime reading so I gave up!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »