Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2006, 10:34 PM
correct me if i understand this point wrong staffer
but the way i have read your post you take a breed with known medical problems and cross it with another breed in the hope it will knock out some of the orginal health issues in the 1st breed.
because your using 2 genetically different breeds with different health issues.
but this could also make a health issue worse not better so how does that then produce healther dogs regardless of which breed the pup takes after in genetics.
this x breed pup could have worse problems than either of the breeds in it.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
so we should all stop breeding
yes its part of the spine
but isnt it better to try and breed dogs with no tails rather than butcher them?
The best thing is to stop messing with their tails full stop.

even if the ban comes in do you think ppl are going to stop i dont think so
If they don`t want to be prosecuted of course they will have to stop. It will be pretty hard to hide a length of missing spine - would they keep the pups hidden until their age is hard to tell as to whether they were done before or after the ban ?
Hardly workable or practical and there will always be a chance that someone buying one will be spotted with a pup and the source traced back then the breeder prosecutd for doing it or allowing it to be done. I can`t imagine many people wanting to hide their dog away from anyone seeing them for months or years for the sake of having a dog looking the way the minority `prefer`.

so wouldnt it be better to try and breed them with no tails
No, in a word. Its time the dogs came first, not a human preference for what they think is aesthetically pleasing.

as when the man comes in lots of porr dogs are going to die a painful death because they are going to be docked behind doors and if anything go,s wrong do you think they will be taken to a vet for treatment i dont think so they will be left to die
Many pups die already as a result of docking, whole litters have been lost through bloodloss and infection when docked, they are already being left to die horribly *for* this look. At least now its only the stubborn diehards who will continue and only until they are caught and brought to justice for their cruelty.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by divine View Post
as in the incontinence this has still to be proven to me as i havent had it in a tailess dog in 20 yrs of owning them.JMO
From the Wansbrough report :

DEFÆCATION.

Normally the rectum, anus, and anal canal are devoid of faecal material with the walls in apposition. During
defecation the dog assumes a squatting position with elevation of the tail and subsequent relaxation of the
coccygeus, the levator ani, and the rectococcygeus muscles. This allows the migrating contractions in the colon
to push the faeces distally into the rectum with defecation ensuing. The movement of the tail during the act of
defecation has a direct influence in evacuating the rectum and anal canal of the last part of the faecal bolus. The
coccygeus and levator ani muscles cross the rectum laterally tending to compress the tube, while the recto-
coccygeus shortens the tube. After defecation the muscles return to their normal position with oncomitant
obliteration of the empty lumen. If the tail is removed from an immature puppy the muscles of the tail and pelvis
may fail to develop to their full potential. Removal of the tail in the mature dog may lead to atrophy and
degeneration of these muscles, in addition, if these muscles lose their distal attachments there may be a
lessening of the support and anchorage of the rectum and anus. An absence of adequate function of these
muscles may result in rectal dilatation, rectal sacculation and faecal incontinence.

PELVIC DIAPHRAGM INTEGRITY.

Perineal hernia involves a breaching of the caudal wall of the pelvic cavity with herniation of the rectum, the
abdominal contents or the pelvic contents through an opening bordered by the anal sphincter medially, the
coccygeal muscle laterally and the internal obturator ventrolaterally. Any process resultmg in fascial weakening,
muscle atrophy, or muscle degeneration may predispose to this weakness in the pelvic diaphragm. Often
perineal hernias occur secondary to medical conditions which cause tenesmus with resultant weakening of the
pelvic diaphragm. Burrows and Ellison (1989) recorded a predisposition to perineal hernia in those
brachycephalic breeds, which traditionally have their tails docked, and suggested that inherent conformational
deficiencies may contribute to the disease in these breeds.Canfield (1986) compared long-tailed and docked
Corgis and found that the levator ani and the coccygeus muscles did not develop fully in the docked dogs. A
relationship with perineal hernia potentially exists, but she considered that further research was required before
a categorical statement could be made.

ACQUIRED URINARY INCONTINENCE.

Urinary incontinence in bitches caused by urethral sphincter mechanism ncompetence (SMI), is a multi factorial
condition. A recent study (Holt and Thrusfield 1993) noted the increased risk of SMI developing in large breeds
but it also concluded that bitches belonging to small breeds had a reduced risk and medium breeds had no
increased risk. Breeds identified in this study as having significantly increased risk of developing SMI were the
Old English Sheepdog, Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, Weimaraner and Irish Setter. A reduced risk was
demonstrated in the labrador retriever, and, although the result was not statistically significant, a low risk was
observed in the German shepherd. This agreed with the observations of Arnold et al (1989).Holt and Thrusfield
(1993) noted 2 consistent association between SMI and tail docking which they interpreted as an indication that
docked breeds of whatever size are more likely to develop incontinence than undocked dogs of the same breed.
It is well recognised in women that the risk of developing genuine stress incontinence (GSI) is related to pelvic
floor muscle damage during labour. In the bitch the equivalent 'pelvic floor' muscles are the levator ani and
coccygeus muscles both of which attach to the tail base, and it is possible that these muscles are atrophied
and/or damaged in docked breeds reducing urethral resistance. A similar relationship may exist between tail
docking and submissive urinary incontinence in puppies.Holt and Thrusfield (1993) conclude that their results
provide some evidence to support the arguments against tail docking and that it would be interesting to
determine if the predisposition to urinary incontinence in currently docked breeds such as the old English
Sheepdog and Doberman Pinscher would be reduced if they cease to be docked.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The best thing is to stop messing with their tails full stop.

If they don`t want to be prosecuted of course they will have to stop. It will be pretty hard to hide a length of missing spine - would they keep the pups hidden until their age is hard to tell as to whether they were done before or after the ban ?
Hardly workable or practical and there will always be a chance that someone buying one will be spotted with a pup and the source traced back then the breeder prosecutd for doing it or allowing it to be done. I can`t imagine many people wanting to hide their dog away from anyone seeing them for months or years for the sake of having a dog looking the way the minority `prefer`.

No, in a word. Its time the dogs came first, not a human preference for what they think is aesthetically pleasing.

Many pups die already as a result of docking, whole litters have been lost through bloodloss and infection when docked, they are already being left to die horribly *for* this look. At least now its only the stubborn diehards who will continue and only until they are caught and brought to justice for their cruelty.
what you think the banning law is going to stop docking i dont think so

and there are loop holes someone can buy a puppy but say they found it and they cant do anything
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
correct me if i understand this point wrong staffer
but the way i have read your post you take a breed with known medical problems and cross it with another breed in the hope it will knock out some of the orginal health issues in the 1st breed.
because your using 2 genetically different breeds with different health issues.
but this could also make a health issue worse not better so how does that then produce healther dogs regardless of which breed the pup takes after in genetics.
this x breed pup could have worse problems than either of the breeds in it.
no i am just useing examples but if yes it could go wrong but it could go right as well
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
what you think the banning law is going to stop docking i dont think so

and there are loop holes someone can buy a puppy but say they found it and they cant do anything
I honestly think that would be stretching it
As breeders who Show will have to stop doing it because docked dogs wont be allowed in the Show ring `proper`, and when properly tailed dogs become the norm, those still docking illegally will be all the easier to find and stop. Human nature can certainly be stubborn, but I doubt many will risk prosecution and possible life bans from owning dogs just to get around the law.
I daresay there will be a few who will put their own selfish aesthetics driven wants above the welfare of the dogs but thats been human nature since our species started walking the earth. It will be a heck of a lot harder for them to get away with it though
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I honestly think that would be stretching it
As breeders who Show will have to stop doing it because docked dogs wont be allowed in the Show ring `proper`, and when properly tailed dogs become the norm, those still docking illegally will be all the easier to find and stop. Human nature can certainly be stubborn, but I doubt many will risk prosecution and possible life bans from owning dogs just to get around the law.
I daresay there will be a few who will put their own selfish aesthetics driven wants above the welfare of the dogs but thats been human nature since our species started walking the earth. It will be a heck of a lot harder for them to get away with it though
i think you lead a sheltered life i am not being funny ear cropping has not gone since it was banned years ago but it still go,s on and no one has been prosicuted
not all dogs end up in a show ring and i think alot of ppl will buy dogs with docked tails
at the moment tails can only be docked by vets if that puppies is going to be used for working
but vets still do it to non working dogs and ppl still do it in there homes
can you answer how many have been prosicuted ?
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
Outcrossing is different to deliberality breeding two different breeds,outcrossing is a term i would use to describe the breeding of two dogs that are unrelated within the first four or five generations of a pedigree,within the same breed,it does have it's place in a well thought out breeding programme.
Crossing of two different breeds,in this day and age,when there are so many dogs needing homes i think is irresponsible.
perfectly stated
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 01:18 AM
im very much disagree with everything you say on this staffer

nicci if i go 'ott' its because im passionate about my views
ive not insulted you or aimed anything at you. stop taking everything personal, when i mention bulldogs it because i strongly am digusted with the way the breed is now, if you dont like what i say or i go ott without being personal or insulting u then thier is an ignore system, my views are mine and i wont change them for anyone
divine
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2006, 01:40 AM
if cross breeding is irresponsible then why have the kennel club started to register mongrels as pets arent they crosses anymore?
and hayley people are passionate about their breed and there are many bulldog breeders who would love to string you up from a tree and leave you to be savaged by an adorable sbt they may not have as many health defects as a bulldog but theyve got a reputation for worse tempraments but maybe that would be the best way of gettting you to be quiet a bit more and stop you insulting a breed that has been round many years and hasnt changed that significantly JMO also
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »