View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
You never know, maybe through dogsey magic, you might pick up a couple more potential foster homes ...

It must be heartbreaking as a breed rescue to have to make hard decisions about who you can and cannot help. I know it would just break my heart and I'd end up with all sorts!

I try to help out all rescues where I can, but so far fostering hasn't worked out for me... My three weren't keen on the dog we tried to foster and he couldn't fit in here with us...

Once everything and everyone has settled again here though, I will certainly try again...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Molosser View Post
I run Neapolitan Mastiff Welfare and can say that Shona has been Millie's guardian angel, literally saving her life so we are eternally grateful to her and will support her 100% to get this poor girlie all the help she needs.

I have been extremely upset and disheartened by the negative comments on this thread about our organisation and rescue in general so allow me to explain why it is imperative that we determine a dog is a full-breed before we can help.

The first reason is our insurance. We are a breed rescue and as such can only take on a specific breed. If there is a problem and a dog is found to be a cross-breed it could invalidate any claim, which could end our rescue and will ultimately be a bad thing for dogs we could help in the future.

People only come to us for a dog that resembles a Neapolitan Mastiff. In the past we have taken cross breeds and it has taken us months to find them a home because they don't look like the kind of dog at Crufts or in the Harry Potter movies. This is unkind and unfair I know, as it doesn't matter what a dog looks like, but this is a stark truth.

At this moment we have had a dog who doesn't resemble a typey Mastino for FIVE MONTHS now with only one enquiry about him. And they didn't want him once they'd met him. If he had been a huge, blue, typey Mastino he would have found a home by now.

If we take in crossbreeds we are doing them no favours. They will not find a home through us. They have a much better chance of finding a home in a general rescue being seen by people who are simply looking for 'A big dog' and have no pre-determined picture of what they want.

This is the only reason that we had to determine very carefully whether Millie was a full-bred Mastina. Believe me, if we had unlimited funds, hundreds of foster carers, a rescue kennel facility etc I would take them ALL, no matter what they were crossed with, but it is a cruel reality that we do not. In fact up until Shona stepped up to the mark we only had TWO foster carers able to deal with this breed in the entire UK. Two...

I give a third of my own income to run the rescue and frequently give up whole days (and half nights) of work to try and help Neapolitan Mastiffs in need so please please please, stop and think before you type negative comments about rescues. Those of us that have literally given up our lives to help dogs in need (and there are thousands of us all across the UK - not just me) can be hurt deeply by insinuations such as those I've seen in this thread. I know I have been.

Rest assured that Millie will receive all of the care and support she needs now that she has come under our wing, as will Shona.
Thank you for explaining your remarks in this and the other thread on the "negative! comments.

I think it is probably not personal, peopel just get over emotional when they see a dog in need,,, (understandably) and may not understand the reasons you do as you do.

by explaining your position it will enable us to understand so much more.

We already know you and other breed rescues do and care immensely for their breed, will do all they can to help and find them new homes.

Again, I can only say a big "thank you" from me, for your help towards Shona...

As time passes, you wil see the dedication in that woman she will walk through fire to rescue a dog ...

Lets hope the little mite finds a good home soon.

And I am sure she will with you and Shona working together...
Molosser
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi Shona. Her face and folds can be cleansed with just warm water if they don't look infected in anyway. If they are looking red let me know and I will send you up some Malaseb.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Molosser View Post
I run Neapolitan Mastiff Welfare and can say that Shona has been Millie's guardian angel, literally saving her life so we are eternally grateful to her and will support her 100% to get this poor girlie all the help she needs.

I have been extremely upset and disheartened by the negative comments on this thread about our organisation and rescue in general so allow me to explain why it is imperative that we determine a dog is a full-breed before we can help.

The first reason is our insurance. We are a breed rescue and as such can only take on a specific breed. If there is a problem and a dog is found to be a cross-breed it could invalidate any claim, which could end our rescue and will ultimately be a bad thing for dogs we could help in the future.

People only come to us for a dog that resembles a Neapolitan Mastiff. In the past we have taken cross breeds and it has taken us months to find them a home because they don't look like the kind of dog at Crufts or in the Harry Potter movies. This is unkind and unfair I know, as it doesn't matter what a dog looks like, but this is a stark truth.

At this moment we have had a dog who doesn't resemble a typey Mastino for FIVE MONTHS now with only one enquiry about him. And they didn't want him once they'd met him. If he had been a huge, blue, typey Mastino he would have found a home by now.

If we take in crossbreeds we are doing them no favours. They will not find a home through us. They have a much better chance of finding a home in a general rescue being seen by people who are simply looking for 'A big dog' and have no pre-determined picture of what they want.

This is the only reason that we had to determine very carefully whether Millie was a full-bred Mastina. Believe me, if we had unlimited funds, hundreds of foster carers, a rescue kennel facility etc I would take them ALL, no matter what they were crossed with, but it is a cruel reality that we do not. In fact up until Shona stepped up to the mark we only had TWO foster carers able to deal with this breed in the entire UK. Two...

I give a third of my own income to run the rescue and frequently give up whole days (and half nights) of work to try and help Neapolitan Mastiffs in need so please please please, stop and think before you type negative comments about rescues. Those of us that have literally given up our lives to help dogs in need (and there are thousands of us all across the UK - not just me) can be hurt deeply by insinuations such as those I've seen in this thread. I know I have been.

Rest assured that Millie will receive all of the care and support she needs now that she has come under our wing, as will Shona.
I think the only reason people (including myself) left such comments is because it looks clear to most that she is a Neo. No she'd never win at Crufts but I for one didn't understand where the cross was coming into it. If you were a member here you would know this topic has been done to the death before, it has been known for other breed rescues to have taken in crosses of the breed and determine others are not 'pure enough'. I for one felt it important she is in the right rescue as such breeds need people who know what they are dealing with, lets face it, a neo is not for everyone, in a general rescue this girl might not have got the care and understanding she needs and just as a cross might not find a home through yourselves, people wanting a neo are more likely to contact yourselves than looking into their local rescue. I think people were just puzzled as she looks very neo, as to why you thought she may be a cross. Everyone is delighted you are helping Millie and a lot of us know what it is like ourselves, I myself have been in the situation of having to put my whole life on hold for a dog I rescued but when the possibility arose than she may be turned away for not being pure enough when we thought she obviously was, this is why things were said.

And JMO but anyone who wants a dog purely because it looks like Fang from Harry Potter is as bad as someone wanting one to match the curtains.
Molosser
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
And JMO but anyone who wants a dog purely because it looks like Fang from Harry Potter is as bad as someone wanting one to match the curtains.
I am in complete agreement with the above and these people normally don't get through the assessment process unless they can convince us they want a Mastino for a lot more reasons than just liking the way they look.

And as the subject of rescue and crossbreeds has already been tackled before, I won't comment any further.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
she is absolutely lovely and its so sad to hear that Neo breed rescue only have 2 foster people available..... I am astounded by that..I know they arent the most common breed but I thought that more people would be keen to offer themselves as fosterers who have an interest in the breed.

I have only ever met one at the SKC at Ingliston and he was a monster - HUGE !!
Good luck and I hope that perhaps this thread will encourage more people to offer themselves as fosterers.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Gorgeous girl - so glad to hear you have the back up of a rescue now Shona - and I'm sure with your good care and their efforts to find a suitable place, this gorgeous girlie will have a forever home in no time *hugs*
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Aw bless her, I'm glad it's all working out. Even if she is a bit stinky she looks gorgeous!!
Ohh I just realized I've met you Molosser!! I went to a talk you did at my college, I think it was last year or the year before? I was going to try out the walk clubs you do but i never got round to it, it was meant to be Jobie's birthday present last year.. good job he doesn't keep track of his presents i'll have to talk to my mum about it, see if we can try and remember this time lol
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Shona... something thats been going round in my head, dont want to sound like i'm prying or anything.. but are the rescue going to pay all bills and upkeep of millie, or are you still paying something towards it yourself?
If you have paid money towards millie the muppet, maybe people on dogsey would be prepared to donate to help you and Millie via paypal or something like that?

Kelz
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Shona... something thats been going round in my head, dont want to sound like i'm prying or anything.. but are the rescue going to pay all bills and upkeep of millie, or are you still paying something towards it yourself?
If you have paid money towards millie the muppet, maybe people on dogsey would be prepared to donate to help you and Millie via paypal or something like that?

Kelz
awe thats so sweet of you, the rescue are now going to pay millie's bills, if you want to donate to millie's fund via the rescue, pm me and I will send you the link..
Page 8 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »