Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
True, but life holds no guarantees, but again it seems some are avoiding giving an answer like the plaque.

Would you find it acceptable to slit a dogs throat, to euthanize it! no iffs and buts and what nots, a simple yes or no will suffice!
I will not give an answer because I do not know.

My feelings happen to be just that - feelings - they are not based on anything other than my own personal tastes. This thread has been very interesting to me.
I have only ever had one option. That is the vet.
I do not know which method is quickest or less painful, like Moobli with the Horses - I would go on what I find more acceptable, I am not sure that is right and it may very well be selfish. I do not know, I have a) never witnessed an animal having is throat cut and b) never died or been able to ask anyone in either process which is more painful.

I am guessing, and I am listening to people who have had a lot more experience than me in the processes.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I will not give an answer because I do not know. My feelings happen to be just that - feelings - they are not based on anything other than my own personal tastes. This thread has been very interesting to me.
I have only ever had one option. That is the vet.
I do not know which method is quickest or less painful, like Moobli with the Horses - I would go on what I find more acceptable, I am not sure that is right and it may very well be selfish. I do not know, I have a) never witnessed an animal having is throat cut and b) never died or been able to ask anyone in either process which is more painful.

I am guessing, and I am listening to people who have had a lot more experience than me in the processes.
I see.

Its not really hard to form an opinion on something you find abhorent , you either find it acceptable or not.

Your feelings will give you your answer, dont you think, you either "feel" its acceptable or you "feel " its not.

We have heard from those who have had expereince in slitting animals throats, their "expereice" does not influence my opinion on the practice.

To willingly cut your dogs throat, before you would take it to a vet to be PTS, is something I dont need to think twice about to make a judgment.

Its horrific, and disturbing !!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
You could tell her they didn't have any in the shops
She comes with me, wheelchair and all - shes 89 and sharp as a whistle
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I see.

Its not really hard to form an opinion on something you find abhorent , you either find it acceptable or not.

Your feelings will give you your answer, dont you think, you either "feel" its acceptable or you "feel " its not.

We have heard from those who have had expereince in slitting animals throats, their "expereice" does not influence my opinion on the practice.

To willingly cut your dogs throat, before you would take it to a vet to be PTS, is something I dont need to think twice about to make a judgment.

Its horrific, and disturbing !!
I do not like saying an animal has to die. Full stop.

My feelings tell me that choosing death is not always nice. They do not tell me which is a more or less painful method of death, or which is quicker for that matter.

However - I accept that in taking responsibility for my animals I also take on I am likely to have to make that choice one day.
Although I know people who won't, I watch on as their dogs struggle and they will not make that decision, possibly people have felt that about me as well? I don't know but I would hope not.

So I guess I have 2 choices with my animals, I can go with nature, or I can intervene. I choose to intervene.

With regards to the way they die. I repeat - I do not know which is more or less painful, and to be honest I am not sure I want to know.
How would you feel if it was proven that with the injection rendered the animal in horrific pain before the heart stops?

How many people used to use sedatives on their dogs for noise phobias which only rendered the dog unable to move, but still aware - in effect trapping the dog in its own body, still aware of the fear, but unable to move?

So I repeat - I do not know which is best. I take the options available to me, which is having my guys at home, with me and a vet administering an injection. I just hope it is not too painful.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Tassle.....its like an overdose of anaesthetic...u count backwards...but dont wake up..surely thats as painless as you can possibly get it?

How many people used to use sedatives on their dogs for noise phobias which only rendered the dog unable to move, but still aware - in effect trapping the dog in its own body, still aware of the fear, but unable to move?
but thats not what it is
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
This is one of the things that saddens me about most religions - that people will just stand by (or worse, defend or do) atrocious things in the name of religion.

Azz, have you ever visited a Halal or Kosher butcher etc?

No? You're basing your opinions on one or two clips you found on youtube...?

And on the basis of that, you are labelling two religions as practising something 'atrocious'???

As MALKA has so rightly noted, Kosher shechita experts study for years precisely TO ensure that suffering to the animal is minimised and IF an animal so much as whimpers, then the kill is not Kosher!

Perhaps before you condemn two world religions as practising something 'atrocious' you might like to visit a Halal and Kosher butcher etc, rather than basing all your conclusions on youtube!

Excellent posts by MALKA, by the way.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:41 PM
When we took Rosie to the vets last year we knew in our hearts we would not be bringing her home. She was old before her time and tired, her eyes showed it. She had fought so long and so hard and could do it no longer

The vet gave me a choice of two options, I was too upset to think clearly. This vet knew Rosie from she was a young pup and she choose for us.

Very gently and with a lot of compassion the Vet sedated Rosie and then left us alone. She kept popping back to check on us. Rosie very gently and serenely "went to sleep". Her ears twitched a few times when a dog barked in the waiting room, you could see her falling deeper and deeper into sleep.

After about half an hour the vet came back with another lady vet. Rosie was deeply asleep totally relaxed and it was then they gave her the overdose. No struggling, no pain, no distress. So gentle, compassionate and dignified for our Rosie.

The vet was in tears

I wil always ask that my dogs are "put to sleep" this way when the time comes

On my way out, I thanked the vet for making Rosie's last visit so dignified

Run free my precious red Rosie. Always loved and never forgotten.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Azz, have you ever visited a Halal or Kosher butcher etc?

No? You're basing your opinions on one or two clips you found on youtube...?

And on the basis of that, you are labelling two religions as practising something 'atrocious'???

As MALKA has so rightly noted, Kosher shechita experts study for years precisely TO ensure that suffering to the animal is minimised and IF an animal so much as whimpers, then the kill is not Kosher!

Perhaps before you condemn two world religions as practising something 'atrocious' you might like to visit a Halal and Kosher butcher etc, rather than basing all your conclusions on youtube!

Excellent posts by MALKA, by the way.
Yes, I have.

I have also been to a slaughterhouse - where there were lines of sheep hung up after having their throats cut, left to bleed to death, while kicking and struggling.

I have also seen a Buffalo slaughtered while on holiday - it was very much like the first video I posted (video 2 below), except they didn't tie the neck to a tree.

I didn't need to have witnessed any of that to ascertain that death by having your jugular cut is probably not very pleasant , or to deduce that there are better ways to do things. Furthermore I see nothing wrong with watching those videos on youtube - it's just a video hosting site.

Did you watch them? The last one I posted (number 1 below) is probably the most important one - because it shows just how much pain and suffering the cattle endure (because the legs are not tied up - so the struggling isn't masked in anyway).

And yes, I think making animals suffer like that is atrocious.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-05-2011, 12:38 AM
For those that think Halal/Kosher slaughter is ok

If you have the guts watch these vids and then tell us you think it's ok, that it doesn't cause suffering.

WARNING CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES:

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-P7sGebAhE
2: http://youtu.be/_76vDJ72QlU
3: http://youtu.be/Bhs9dH8i2Po

If you still think it's ok after that, then I give up
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Not sure why there us a debate about whether we would euthanise at a vet or slut a dog's throat? Since few, if any, of us are trained to kill large animals with one stroke of a flawless knife the question is irrelevant. On top of that the comparison is invalid. Animals for
Meat consumption are not killed with a lethal dose of a drug, they are stunned before slaughter... IF it works. Nothing like a trip to the vet or a vet visit at home , so it's a silly comparison. The debate about Rune's comment is totally off topic and I have to say, out of hand, her meaning was clear to me! You just have to read her post in context.

The thread is about halal meat and despite the topic had been fairly well debated, niw it's totally off topic.
Page 33 of 41 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > Last »