View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I realise a decision has now been made, and I admit I have not read this entire thread but I had a suggestion.

How about simply having a disclaimer which must be attached to any blog about e-collars. Something like "Dogsy is against the use of ecollars under all circumstances and can by no means justify their use as a training tool." Perhaps with a link to some research or something. That way people can discuss their opinions, to which we are all entitled, but the official stance is still known for anyoneone who is unfamiliar with these devices
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Ok I think I have a solution.

A new section will be created: Contentious Threads/Blogs
  • Threads or posts in it will not be shown in the latest posts link
  • Threads or posts in it will not be shown in search results
  • Last post (like on the normal forums) will not be shown either

So the only way to see what's in that section, will be to visit it.
  • This way we are not censoring anyone's opinion
  • This way anyone not interested doesn't have it 'shoved down their throat'

We will list topics that may get moved to it. As of now that just includes threads/blogs that can be seen as promoting electric shock collars (shock collar 'discussion' will be kept to the main forum though - eg, when someone comes on to ask questions about them.) I very much doubt other topics will be added to the list - we aim to be an open platform, and this is only really being brought in for two reasons - first, that the software we use doesn't have a proper 'block'/ignore function, and two, because of that people are subjected to threads or posts that are hard to ignore - so this is the only solution I can think of.

What do you think?
I think prong collars should be in there too with the e-collar?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I think prong collars should be in there too with the e-collar?
And choke chains?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
And choke chains?
Azz, I'm just wondering if we could or do have a small info section on tools for training and a bit of a 'lo-down' on them?

perhaps first time dog owners would have a look at and realise the facts of e-collars, clicker, choke chains etc?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Azz, I'm just wondering if we could or do have a small info section on tools for training and a bit of a 'lo-down' on them?

perhaps first time dog owners would have a look at and realise the facts of e-collars, clicker, choke chains etc?
I think this is a good idea. Completely ignoring their existence won't do ANYONE any good. If someone is saying "XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread!" and no one is saying "well, here's the potential fallout of this tool" then there's no balance of information out there.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I think if you include choke chains, you`ll have to start including slip leads, haltis, muzzles, spray collars, etc etc.
Can we not just fight one battle at a time?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Then why prongs as well? Chokes and prongs are meant to inflict pain to train. Slip leads, haltis and muzzles aren't.

Spray collars, for me, fall into the first category with shock collars, choke chains and prong collars.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think if you include choke chains, you`ll have to start including slip leads, haltis, muzzles, spray collars, etc etc.
just a suggestion for future - slipleads would just come under same as choke chains just a basic info guide on all these 'tools'....on pros/cons, health of dog.....

then one on head collars, one on e-collars, spray collars and so on....not so much threads as a little info section...?

not suggesting an anti -this/that section but info/pros/cons of all common training stuff

perhaps if owners could simply be refered to the section on e-collars/training tools to see the cons vs pros they may not be so easily 'looped into' using them...especially when you compare that to say, the clicker or 'using play as a reward' section....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Think that's a great idea - perfect for the articles section. Perhaps post in the Community Initiatives forum to maybe get together with a few others and co-write an article?

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
That's why I don't like censorship - where do you stop.

I think shock collars can be an exception because they are already illegal in some countries, and as I said before part of the reason I am agreeing to do this is because the software we use doesn't have a proper block function.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Think that's a great idea - perfect for the articles section. Perhaps post in the Community Initiatives forum to maybe get together with a few others and co-write an article?

That's why I don't like censorship - where do you stop.

I think shock collars can be an exception because they are already illegal in some countries, and as I said before part of the reason I am agreeing to do this is because the software we use doesn't have a proper block function.
Azz thats great, thanks, I will get a post over there soon!
Page 14 of 17 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >