Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Just filled in an interest form.

As some of you may know I am looking for another dog for when Adie goes into the Army, as Louie will be alone and he has never been on his own before (dog wise) One dog doesn't feel right. Benjie will be going back to my OH's parents as he is far to strong for me and Sadie will only be visiting so many times a year.

Me and the OH discussed my want for a Greyhound and we decided that a greyhound would be too delicate for how Louie plays. However I have said that when Louie grows up a little I will do my bit and foster greyhounds.

So I have joined Hope rescues forum, had a look at their dogs and I have fallen for a gorgeous 4 year old ESS x Lab called Bonnie. I have just filled in a pre-interest form as she hasn't being assessed yet and hopefully they will notice that I truly love dogs and bypass the fact that I am 19 and will be on my own. I really want to rescue a dog and have the time and the room for another one.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Good luck with Bonnie - hope all goes well. I am sure they will see that you are an ideal owner
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Could you not manage Benjie with a headcollar? Unless there are other reasons for him going back too. Just would be a shame if Louie has a ready-made buddy that could stay!
If not then good luck with your hunt, I managed to find a rescue to adopt to a 21 year old, 19 isn't that much younger
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Fingers crossed for you
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Good luck with Bonnie - hope all goes well. I am sure they will see that you are an ideal owner
Thank you
At the moment I am only working 12 hours a week and at night so I'm able to be with them during the day.

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Could you not manage Benjie with a headcollar? Unless there are other reasons for him going back too. Just would be a shame if Louie has a ready-made buddy that could stay!
If not then good luck with your hunt, I managed to find a rescue to adopt to a 21 year old, 19 isn't that much younger
Yes there is another reason - Adie's autistic brother is way too attached for him to stay with me full time. He'll be coming to stay with us whilst Adie's on leave. Also Benjie doesn't get on with Louie - he tolerates but isn't really one for playing with him, he still growls at him when he walks past him. The reason behind a girl - is 'cos Benjie gets on better with bitches than dogs. We're lucky he tolerates Louie as much as he does.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Fingers crossed for you
Thank you
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I dont think they decide based on age iits more understanding, working hours and your home i find good luck x
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Good luck to you, i dont know anything about rescues and how they assess prospective owners, but i think you sound ideal.

Show them your posts on here, then they will see how dedicated you are!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:30 PM
You know when I think I'm finally getting somewhere I hit another wall. My OH has said that if she is still in foster after his first month in the Army, then I can adopt her. Hopefully she will have found a good home by then. But I will let the rescue keep my form and if there is another dog who fits what I need then I can always see about rescuing that one instead.

I see what he means though and I know where he is coming from so I don't mind waiting a bit longer if I have too.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Who's dog is Sadie then?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Who's dog is Sadie then?
She's my neighbours at my parents house - they got her but I walked her, looked after her when they went away etc. So me and Maxine - her owner have an unwritten, unofficial by terms of law; that she is part owned. I'll have her sometimes but as I can't drive it won't be as often, so I'll probably have her every month for a week. If I can get by train.

Sorry I thought everyone knew
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >