Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2010, 07:23 PM

What can we do to help dogs?

What do you think are the most important things we can do to help dogs everywhere?

Now take a moment to think about it before posting - think about dogs not just in rescues but dogs in everyday life too...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Here's a quick list from me - just my initial thoughts that briefly touch on each topic:

1. Education Education Education

We need to educate owners about how to care for dogs and be responsible owners. I've lost count the number of times I've seen untrained and poorly cared-for dogs. Whether it's dogs getting seriously abused or owners thinking it's ok to lock a dog up in a small kennel all day long!!!

2. Education Education Education, Part 2

We need to educate society and in particular anyone who may be a prospective dog owner (that's basically everyone!) that unethical breeders are a big no no, and about just how much of a responsibility owning a dog is ie, Education education education, Part 1!

3. Legislation

While I am generally against governments telling us what we can/should/shouldn't do, we need to lobby parliament and get changes made to dog owning/welfare laws. This is because society have proved they cannot do it themselves AND because dog's don't have a voice and are therefore vulnerable. Just like there are child-protection laws there needs to be animal protection laws too.

4. Tackle Dogs in Rescues

Dogs in rescues need help finding homes. Rescues need funding, especially for neutering programs.

5. Prevent Dogs Getting Into Rescues To Begin With

We need to find a way to STOP so many dogs ending up in Rescues, and while points 1,2,3 should help - I wanted to create this as a separate topic as it shouldn't be overlooked.

6. And much more

I think there's so much more we can do. We need to look at how other countries tackle the problem. We need to ascertain what is the main cause of dogs suffering. Is it breeders? Is it owners? What can we do to help?

Anyway, that's a quick list from me - what does everyone else think?
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree with all your points except legislation. Child protection is a good example - the legislation on child protection is actually pretty useless. All it does is penalise the innocent while the guilty carry on (police checks etc etc). None of the new child protection legislation we have had since Soham would actually have prevented Soham, but it does cause social havoc by decimating volunteering in the childrens' sector, youth clubs etc etc. In dogs we have the DDA as a great example of how not to legislate. Despite the DDA there are now more pitbulls around than ever. The only people who suffered were the law abiding pitbull owners (whose dogs were never a problem in the first place) and who had their dogs muzzled, neutered and in some cases, destroyed. Meanwhile the chavs and drug dealers ignored the law and were in return ignored by it. Legislation is not the answer to anything!

Mick
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Azz - Just wanted to say I agree with all you've suggested, we do need to do more especially in the 'education' bit. I have to go now but will return latter to add afew thoughts ref. point 6
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Here's a quick list from me - just my initial thoughts that briefly touch on each topic:

1. Education Education Education

We need to educate owners about how to care for dogs and be responsible owners. I've lost count the number of times I've seen untrained and poorly cared-for dogs. Whether it's dogs getting seriously abused or owners thinking it's ok to lock a dog up in a small kennel all day long!!!

2. Education Education Education, Part 2

We need to educate society and in particular anyone who may be a prospective dog owner (that's basically everyone!) that unethical breeders are a big no no, and about just how much of a responsibility owning a dog is ie, Education education education, Part 1!

3. Legislation

While I am generally against governments telling us what we can/should/shouldn't do, we need to lobby parliament and get changes made to dog owning/welfare laws. This is because society have proved they cannot do it themselves AND because dog's don't have a voice and are therefore vulnerable. Just like there are child-protection laws there needs to be animal protection laws too.

4. Tackle Dogs in Rescues

Dogs in rescues need help finding homes. Rescues need funding, especially for neutering programs.

5. Prevent Dogs Getting Into Rescues To Begin With

We need to find a way to STOP so many dogs ending up in Rescues, and while points 1,2,3 should help - I wanted to create this as a separate topic as it shouldn't be overlooked.

6. And much more

I think there's so much more we can do. We need to look at how other countries tackle the problem. We need to ascertain what is the main cause of dogs suffering. Is it breeders? Is it owners? What can we do to help?

Anyway, that's a quick list from me - what does everyone else think?
I think that all of this is tackled by the Dog Ownership Test.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I would avoid legislation as well. Unfortunately legislation is formed by politicians, who are not impartial, knowledgeable or wise. And the day people have to pass a test to have a dog but not a child is the day I leave the country.
Education is our best hope IMO. Whatever happened to public service broadcasting? Wouldn`t it be great to have a truly informative TV programme about domestic animals?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:35 PM
we should educate non dog owners and dog phobics about the correct way to act around dogs and the basics of dog body language.

Dog behaviour and basic animal husbandry should be put into the primary school curriculum. Including care of caged animals and up to farming techniques and where meat comes from.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
we should educate non dog owners and dog phobics about the correct way to act around dogs and the basics of dog body language.

Dog behaviour and basic animal husbandry should be put into the primary school curriculum. Including care of caged animals and up to farming techniques and where meat comes from.
I so agree.

I tried hard after the little girl next door was attacked to get our Foster sons school to participate in such a thing, but all I got was Its not in school Curriculum.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

I think in some form this is a good idea but I'm not sure how you would incorporate the farming techniques and where meat comes from into the school curriculum. Would it take on board all religious beliefs on the subject?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
And the day people have to pass a test to have a dog but not a child is the day I leave the country.
Oh Claire how I agree with you on that
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >