Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 03:28 PM

How Did you come to get your Dog?

Just wondering how you chose your dog, circumstances etc.....and whether you think it was destiny.....?

We saw a pic of our girl (& fell in love but wanting to do the right thing, eg not getting no 3 on a whim, though we had been thinking about it for a while) we thought about it for a few days, when we decided to get her and contacted her breeder , we were so disapointed as she had been reserved

Luckily for us, the people that were to have her changed their minds and the rest is history. I think it was meant to be that she was ours

Does chosing/getting your dog have a story
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 03:38 PM
with the big uns, it was the breeding I went for,

holly and vinnie where born here....lol,
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Picked out for us at the rescue, we said no then luckily changed our minds and have never looked back.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2009, 03:45 PM
In my earliest years, I always had a dog or three about, then I moved to a small flat in Edinburgh, where keeping a dog was impossible.

When Mrs. S and I moved to Orkney, I had my doubts about the wisdom of the move, so Mrs. S "bribed" me with the idea of a home which would permit a dog.

I definitely wanted a Border Collie*, and the rescue place had just rehomed its only BC, but the lady put me on to an advert for BC puppies from a local farm (sheep farm, NOT puppy farm!!), and Kali Kolsson entered the scheme of things. Later, Snorri the Priest (his brother) joined the family. When Snorri-dog died, Thorgeir the Lawsayer came from another local farm (poultry farm this time) to be his successor.

*My first ever family dog was a rescue BC, and was my best friend, regardless of the number of legs.

Snorri

ETA: Went to see the puppies (Kali's litter) and asked the farmer to separate the bitches and those that were already spoken for. Two pups out of 7 remained, so I picked one of them up. The eyes were only partly open (only 3 weeks old): I looked at pup, pup looked at me. Fine wee dog, put him down again, picked up the last one. I looked at pup, pup looked at me. Pup licked the end of my nose and thus "sealed his own fate". Fifteen years later, he's still here.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 05:13 PM
One whippet from a really good breeder after a long search .
One lurcher from Glasgow dogs home because I wanted a rescue dog .
One poodle from a breeder after a long search .
One whippet , I got a phone call and I was asked to take her on the day she was booked to be PTS .
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:23 PM
asked staffie rescue for a red staffie, good with other animals.

got emailed a pic of Bruno, bad with other dogs and black and white pied, but fell in love with him and wouldnt have it any other way !!!
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Kindly belonged to my granny, when she died we inherited 4 Japanese Chins. The three younger ones were rehomed with friends of my granny-her son went on to be a show dog and her daughters went to live in Cornwall. Kindly was due to go and live in Jersey but she came home with us over the Christmas period and it was decided that she wasn't going anywhere!
When I finished university and got my first job in London, she came to live with me. I think it was meant to be as she is a link to my much-loved granny, who I think would be very proud of her! And of course we love to bits!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Me and my Mum started dog walking at the rgt on the strict understanding that we were not getting another dog.. it took her one walk to change her mind..
When I first met Jobie I must admit I was more interested in his kennel mate Whisky.. She was a lovely bitch. She got rehomed quite quickly though. Eventually it came down to a choice between Jobie and another bitch, Nellie. We were all set to take Nellie but I changed my mind at the homecheck, they'd been hanging on to Jobie for us and were going to send him to another rehoming centre because he'd had no interest at all while he was there... It was a bit spur of the moment, but definately the right choice
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I found a dog running around in the middle of the road and took it to Battersea, when they asked me if I wanted to keep it my ex-boyfriend loked over my shoulder as I ticked yes on the form!

Well the owners came, but I'd warmed to the idea by then. Ex boyfriend said he wouldn't walk a 'handbag dog' and I had a choice of breeds that he'd agree to walk So staffie was the smallest one out of the lot so I went for that, didn't want a teeny dog anyway but definitley not able to look after a big dog.

So found a litter, chose the red pied girl, deposit left could collect in a few weeks....Wasn't meant to be, the pup got kidney/liver disease and couldn't be sold, all the rest of the litter was brindle and I wasn't a brindle fan, so trawled for a bit longer and found a litter of all whites, with KC pedigrees. Chose the pup they called beauty (on account of her beauty spot, and she looks like she's wearing black eyeliner) and now nearly 6 years on she's the softest most balanced staff I've ever know. If I do say so myself
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Like our other 18 puppies, a service dog school chose to give us Tux. In many cases we have no choice. We have whined for puppies out of litters where we know the people hosting the mother.

I would love to get a puppy out of the litter our one puppy should be having this summer. The school kept her as breeding stock and this will be her fifth and last litter. The timing didn't work before this. We also know people hosting a female out of her first litter, and it hasn't worked to have one of her puppies either. We have even set her a couple of weekends.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >