View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I think the blogs should stay. Why should the majority be punished for the behaviour of one.

As for how to manage them, I'm at this moment undecided.

I do like the suggestion someone else made about having a controvercial section, maybe the CM stuff could be put in there too?. Perhaps have it so that guests and maybe new members can't view it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
As many of you know our blogs were initially introduced to serve as a great place for people to share whatever was going on in their lives (which are what blogs are generally for) however they were also partly introduced so that people could share things that weren't allowed on the forums, such as litter mentions, light self-promotion, requests for donations/sponsorships etc

However, recently somebody has used a blog to post updates on their training with an electric shock collar. And as you might imagine all hell as broken loose in the comments. So why don't we moderate them? Well that's the point - we don't! Blogs are self-moderated, the blog owner decides which comments can stay up and which ones cannot (that's how blogs on the web generally work). But that leaves a loophole for them to say whatever they want as nobody is moderating their own comments.

We don't really want to start moderating the blogs - because they were never designed to work that way, and we also don't want to start censoring what people can talk about, because that pretty much goes against the whole point of a blog - they're meant to be places where you can talk about whatever you want to talk about, no matter how contentious the issue. If we do start putting bans on topics then they kind of stop being a blog - so perhaps a better option would be to not have them.

I hate electric shock collars as much as the next person - but don't think censorship is the answer, what happened to good ol fashioned ignoring something you don't like? And the way blogs work - newer blogs push down older ones... so it doesn't take long for them to vanish of the front page.

However, having said that - I do appreciate that for some it goes against the ethos of the site, someone using our blogs to speak about their experience with shock collars - in a positive light - which some might see as promoting them.

The question is would it be acceptable to start adding things that are not allowed to be discussed in blogs? Or is it better to call it a day and just remove them?
i think the way explain blogs is fine
your view and point ot them is great, so should stay that way

i know now that they arent moderated, meaning tha tif someone is rude to me in a way that would clearly be moderated on the rest of the forum, then i will have to ask the blog owner to sort it out.

id keep the blogs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:58 PM
How about the blogs having the rule of not carrying on heated topics from locked threads? So thread starters cant then just go on to gain more attention after a thread has been locked...

1) its been locked for a reason
2) they can still have a blog on whatever else...
3) leaves the blog function available for those who do no want to abuse it/less likely they will recieve abusive comments etc

However if complaints of obvious malice etc were to crop up does that mean that Admin can't delete them? (surely not)

Edit; surely if the blog owner is recieving nonesense they should be able to delete it and if the other way around and a complaint is made, Admin can?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I think blogs should stay.... I like seeing new litters!!

Maybe something like members not being able to start a blog until they have received x amount of reputaion on the forum, that way, at least its not total morons (usually ) starting the blogs?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I think the blogs should stay. Why should the majority be punished for the behaviour of one.

As for how to manage them, I'm at this moment undecided.

I do like the suggestion someone else made about having a controvercial section, maybe the CM stuff could be put in there too?. Perhaps have it so that guests and maybe new members can't view it.
yep, thats a good idea
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I do think that the topic of e-collars is bringing this lovely forum down slightly - and that is such a shame.

Given that we have now had several, long, detailed threads ON this topic, wouldn't it be an idea to ban it in the main forum and on the blogs..?

I don't see why one person's desire/need to keep posting about e collars, should trump the desire of the majority of us NOT to have to keep reading about how this poor dog is being subjected to this cruel device.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Edit; surely if the blog owner is recieving nonesense they should be able to delete it and if the other way around and a complaint is made, Admin can?
i wondered that myself when i received an unsolicited attack on gnasher's blog.

i couldnt help but think if this was on the normal forum, that person and their posts would have been censored.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:05 PM
If Gnasher - or anyone else - wants to update people on Ben, why can't she start her own blog, independent of this site....?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i wondered that myself when i received an unsolicited attack on gnasher's blog.

i couldnt help but think if this was on the normal forum, that person and their posts would have been censored.
perhaps a rule of people taking on the responsability of moderating their blogs with consideration should be there? (to themselves but also others)

since, if blog owners deleted such comments after a complaint was msg'd to them then it may prevent such arguments?

Lets face it, we all know the blog in question and as much as the blog owner has a right to defend themselves they could also just delete all such comments to stop threads becoming one big screaming match
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I do think that the topic of e-collars is bringing this lovely forum down slightly - and that is such a shame.Given that we have now had several, long, detailed threads ON this topic, wouldn't it be an idea to ban it in the main forum and on the blogs..?

I don't see why one person's desire/need to keep posting about e collars, should trump the desire of the majority of us NOT to have to keep reading about how this poor dog is being subjected to this cruel device.
I agree. Perhaps thats where the 'contraversial section' would be an idea? or banning the promotion of them altogether - since a suggestion was made on that blog for another member to perhaps try it....and yet AP was banned for that so presumably that means banned from having a blog too. I am not suggesting that Azz go around banning everyone at the slightest mention but look how nasty things are getting.....
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »