Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Ear wax

Does anyone have any magic potion for removing ear wax?!! Have been deaf in one ear for 5 days now, have tried drops from chemist and ear candles, to no avail, have had this problem before and do not want to get ears syringed as I believe its not good for you, have had it done in the past. any advise will be gratefully recieved!!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I had to go and get my ears washed out this month due to the same thing but this is the first time for 8 years so it has not made things worse for me. Like you I had tried drops with oil and hydrogen peroxide and they just did not work. It took literally one minute for the nurse to get rid of it because all the oil had loosened it up. I think you should go and get them done. You may have small ear canals like me hence the problem. It's awful though isn't it? Hope things go pop soon!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:25 PM
warm Olive Oil was what I always used on mine. Works a treat usually, but I have had them syringed a few times too, when it's gone past the stage of dispersing with oil. Try the oil, if no luck, you will probably have to have them syringed.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Poor you
My dad had the same problem
One time he didnt want to get them syringed and tried everything at home
but they made it worse by softening the wax, then kinda gluing it further down in a harder ball of wax
apparently the worst thing he used was the stuff that is supposed to dry it out and make it flake - works on little bits of wax but only hardens it if you have a real problem

sorry but I would really go get it done - quick and easy
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:25 AM
I have this problem when i have a really bad cold, always the same ear, but I did suffer a perforated ear drum over 30 years ago. i can go deaf in one ear for up to 3wks but it does reurn without any treatment ( doc said was one of those things that would get better on its own,and treatment more than likely wouldnt work ) it makes using the phone dreadful, and as you start to descend in a plane**********.
But most of my problem was caused by my eardrum problem, hope you feel better soon
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Warm olive oil always works with me too, but I also have to go to the docs every now and again to have them syringed. I really don't mind this, as it's always a positive result. Hope you get it sorted soon honey x
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all your advise!! will try warm olive oil now, never thought of that!! sometimes the good old fashioned remedies work better than anything you buy!, Will let you know when I am back in the world of sound!! xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:02 AM
All ear drops(including those you use on your dogs etc)should be warmed to near body temperature first, I think this is in the stuff that comes with the drops.

Never had ear drops myself, but used them lots of times in the past on dogs