View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:30 AM

When "good" breeders really are muppets!!

I saw an advert on Gumtree advertising a stud dog..free of charge etc etc..

So I answered it asking what age the dog was and what his hips and eyes etc were..and the answer I got was that he was older (5) and had not been hip scored etc etc but his parents were and granparents were..and the reason behind it was their bitch that they intended to breed had pyo and had to be spayed..so they wanted a pup from their stud dog..

Now I thought this was wrong and told them so..only to be replied to telling me they were good breeders and blah blah..of course it resulted in them slagging me off saying they hope I don't have children etc etc..,

Am I the only person who thinks this is wrong??

Its a Labrador btw..
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 12:35 PM
No I think its wrong too, I hope that no-one uses the dog.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:02 PM
good breeders my a**e!!!!!
any old exscuse isnt it
wonder how old the bitch that they were gonna breed from was,as it had a pyo???
grrrrrr
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Bitches can get pyo when they are young or old.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
Bitches can get pyo when they are young or old.
i do know that
it is far more common in older bitches that is all!!!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I think I might post some of the correspondence from this person, apparently they had lots of bitches pedigrees to look thru to decide which one they were going to use!! I am sure the bitch will be a quality specimen after all isn't gumtree the first place you would look for a stud dog!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 05:24 PM
ah..........gumtree.....

your first stop for quality...
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Our conversation went a little like this..

Can you tell me what your dogs hip score is? and what his eye test results are..

And also what sort of field trials/work he has done or is he shown?? placings etc?

How many proven matings has he had, litter size?

Thanks
Hi - thanks for your e mail.

Our dog is older now and hasn't had his hips or eyes done and we would not put him through that at his age. He hasn't been used at stud before. I bred him here and have had his mother, still have his sister and his sisters pup so I know exactly what I have. None of the other dogs mentioned have any problems with hip or eye conditions and no other pup from the two litters we have bred have been reported with any problems whatsoever as we are in touch with all their owners.

XXXX picked up on shoots regularly with my other dogs and competed in field tests too - all of which he won with no second or third placings at any competition he was entered for. Both his mother and sister were very successful too, his sister being placed fourth in a novice trial at 2 years of age having picked only cold came prior to this. XXXX was always going to be used on my own bitch only but unfortunately she developed pyometra and had to be spayed hence the reason we are now looking for a suitable bitch for him as we would like a pup and know of other people who too would be keen on pups too sired by him knowing the his family line.

If you need any further info then please don'thesitate to contact me.

Regards

XXXX XXXXXX
So all in all its really NOT a good idea to breed from him then..just because his parents etc have good hips/elbows/eyes doesn't mean he will have..hence why you are supposed to get them done before you breed..

Do the dog world a favour and just buy in a new puppy..don't breed because you can!
I actually know what I am doing hence the reason I am doing this and have fully veterinary approval plus hip xrays from a few years back that were not sent away at the time because we had not made any definite decisions about breeding from XXXX and the xray was taken for another reason and therefore not stamped as it should be to be sent away. Our dogs are top quality and to send the undernoted shows how little you know. You can have problems with any dog regardless of how its parents hip scores/eyes/ elbows etc are. There are throwbacks to all sorts of problems from unknown dogs. We at least have generation after generation (over 30 years worth) to go from not just some strangers word of mouth. Do you actually know that many breeders take in different dogs for hip scoring / eye testing and then use these certificates for other dogs that they have had success with in the field or showring. There are many such scams too numerous to mention. We are going by fact and what we have seen.

Why don't you do the dog world a favour and not breed from your bitch. If you are trawling gum tree ads for freebies it cant be up to much. We are looking for quality like our own not some poorly bred little known mutt. Thanks anyway - please don't bother replying as you have just proved yourself to be a first class ass with no knowledge worth sharing.

My advice - Don't breed from your bitch (i take it you know its bitches that have pups......or I am crediting you with too much sense, but then going on your e mail you will understand why. No response required - you are clearly a class well and truly below me
don't even own Labradors my dear..You are whats known as a backyard breeder of the worst kind..IF you have to trawl the free ads to find a bitch for your dog then obviously you aren't looking for quality!!! You will find quality being bred to health tested, shown & worked stock..and the owners of those bitches won't look twice at someone lowering themselves to advertise on a freeads site!!

You can have problems with any dog regardless of its parents scores..thats WHY you score the actual dog you are wanting to use!..and yes some backyard breeders do take the wrong dogs to score..but good breeders have their dogs microchipped and have it logged..so the chip and the KC reg docs match up..GOOD vets check that..

My bitch (different breed) is spayed and my boys are neutered..because there are enough unwanted pups in the world..from good breeders without people who "want a pup from my boy because he's cute"..or "want a pup from my bitch because she's a nice colour" etc..

I sincerely hope you boy fires blanks or just doesn't want anything to do with a bitch...You say you won't put him thru that..but you will put him thru a mating..change his personality...

It may be a good thing your bitch had pyo.....best thing that could happen to the poor girl..stopped at least a couple of litters from you there..
Hey just got your e mail - bit of a backlog as we have other bitches pedigrees to look through so e mail was a bit jammed. However got it now -whats the silly picture of some silly drawing of a dog in harness pulling a drowning one - yeah that would be your level. You know nothing about our dogs, our set up achievements and 2 litters makes me a back yard breeder you tit. All out pups went to family and friends - our choice and arrangements made well in advance. Our dogs are champions all were hip scored and eye tested, not just in one field but in three so as you know nothing about labradors why don't you keep your opinions to yourself. You are the back yard breeder not us although god knows what exactly you breed - hopefully you don't breed yourself as others like you with no job and plenty time on their hands is not what this economy needs - i.e. scroungers.

For someone who wishes pyometra on an animal you are really unhinged. Do you know what that is. If I were you I would take a long hard look at the rubbish you have spouted. Rest assured you will get what you deserve for comments like that. I have taken the liberty of blocking your e mails as having shown it to others they too are of the opinion that you are scum - My dear. Thank god your animals are spayed lets hope you are too

Go find a job you waster xxx
Of course I sent another one back..and ended it with.."of course you won't reply to this as you have blocked my email"..and aint heard anything since..

So..fab breeder there...show her some facts and truth and she gets nasty..