Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:34 AM

What is legally required...

if you hit, and kill, a dog (or cat) with your car?

just wondering coz my mum was driving to my sisters and saw a dead cat at the side of the road, and there were police there. she wasnt sure if they were there coz of the cat, or something else, but they were going around and knocking on peoples doors. she went back to my sisters a few hours later, and the cat was gone.

that then got us talking about what is legally required if a dog or cat is hit, and if it is different for them. im not sure, but i would hope people would report it for either of them but my mum thinks you dont have to for cats but do for dogs... anyone know??
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I didn't think you had to for cats but know you have to for dogs and deer. I suppose if the cat had a collar and ID tag on it would be nice if you knocked at the peoples door to let them know what had happened.

If you hit a deer your'e car is likely to be a write off or need some sort of repair so you have to inform all the necessary people anyway.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:38 AM
You do not need to report a cat up here, but you do have to report a dog accident, maybe some one called the police and said the cat belonged to some one near by and they've went to find them, if it were mine lying at the side of the road I'd hope some one would let me know x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Not sure if this is any help:
http://socyberty.com/advice/dead-on-...hit-an-animal/
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-10-2009, 11:50 AM
The Road Trafic Act 1988 (section 170) requires drivers to stop and report any accident that injures a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog that was not in the motor vehicle.

http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/other_dog_law
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-10-2009, 01:05 PM
who do you report theaccident too and how quickly are you meant to report?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
who do you report theaccident too and how quickly are you meant to report?

as far as I am aware you are supposed to report the incident straight away to the police ?

Mo
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 01:54 PM
RTA's involving certain animals have to be reported under the 1988 Road Traffic Act.

( 8 ) In this section "animal" means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.
The law requires that if you have been the driver of a motor vehicle on a road involved in an accident resulting in injury or damage to another person's property or involving some types of animals, you, the driver, must stop and if required by any person having reasonable grounds, provide your name and address, insurance company and name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving and its registration mark.

If you do not provide these details, for whatever reason, you must, as soon as possible, and in any event within twenty-four hours of the accident, report the incident to a police officer or at a police station. For full details of the legal requirements consult section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

There may be reasons why, in addition to the circumstances above, you may wish to report the accident. In such circumstances, the amount of detail recorded by police, if at all, will vary according to the circumstances or the seriousness of the accident.
Drivers are required to stop after any accident on the road under the above section of the Road Traffic accident-not just report hitting an animal(as defined above)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 02:22 PM
As already said, you have to inform the police if you hit a dog, livestock or deer, but not if you hit a cat ... which is a shame really, as I am sure cat owners would want to know about their animal as much as a dog owner etc.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi,

How is your Mom. Is she OK? I'd be upset if I saw a dead animal on the road.

There is also the issues of insurance (at least for dogs and larger animals). If a dog runs intot he road, causing an accident and is killed, if there is any damage to the car/vehicle that hit it, the relevant insurance comapny can claim off the animal's owner (or their insurance company).

i think it's very sad though that cat deaths on teh road don't have to be reported. Fortunately, round here we son't see any dead or injured animals on the road.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >