View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, our Christmas is going to be chaos! There are three of us (my Mom, Sis and I) and between us we have 5 dogs, 3 of which are puppies. My Mom's house is super crowded as it is, I'm seeing visions of the tree getting chewed, knocked over, the other decorations (including a great big stuffed bear dressed as santa) being destroyed! There's no room for Oliver's crate, so no way to lock him up to keep him calm. and as he's a somewhat biggish dog, he's going to be the biggest problem I think! Last year we only had 2 well behaved, middle age dogs... quite a difference!

I know what you mean about Christmas bringing back memories of lost ones. My childhood dog, a springer x cocker, LOVED christmas! she had a routine she'd follow. She would guard her stocking, not even coming to bed, incase the other dog got it lol. her present was always a squeaky toy, which she unwrapped herself, then got the squeaker out, I have lots of pics, tho they're from a film camera, so not on the computer. Last year was especially tough, as it was the 5 year mark of her death, our other dog Benji died the year before Patches did. Christmas marks the changes in our lives, Lost family, and gained.

It'll just be interesting to see how 3 puppies do with a house full of Christmas decorations....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
I have never read a more amusing and interesting thread than the responses to this one. It shows how so many people love their animals and regard them as family, not just a dog or cat etc.

Our Christmas will be a quiet one as usual. I have no family and my wife does not see her`s ; they are a close family but just do not seem to have get-togethers.

I myself like thousands of others will be tormented by thoughts of last Christmas, when my beloved big GS was with us - he died in late August. Whilst Christmas is a happy time, it is also a sad time of loving memories. A kind of "Absent Friends" occasion, not only animals.

We must and will however make it a nice time with all the trimmings and tree etc. so that our new dog Kaiser will enjoy his first Christmas with us, with presents and a good Christmas dinner.

Keep the posts coming, it makes such good reading and although it is early, I wish every one of you and your pets a Very Happy Christmas.

My dear KAS
Your Kas was indeed very beautiful and a longcoat too, my absolutely favourites of this breed.

It was 2 years last Christmas since I lost my dear old girl (longcoat gsd) and I still cried when I remembered how much she adored Christmas mornings, and I expect it'll be just the same this year, even though I'm back to two again, I will still spare a thought for her and all the others, it will never go away, but it gets better each Christmas, and I hope it will for you too John.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Marius got Lola - and he thinks all his Christmasses have come at once!!
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2009, 11:32 AM
These replies are so much from the heart. Memories of loved pets gone and loved pets present, memories of absent friends and family, it is such a human tale of emotion.

Quite honestly, I find Christmas a very sad time and also New Year`s Eve, but I cannot help reflecting on previous occasions when so much happiness was given to me by my pets and people who are no longer here.

Yes a good old knees-up and drunken jolly with family and friends, partying or making a stupid fuss of our pets, makes Christmas a wonderful event and that is what it is supposed to be, but lurking in the background are the memories of Christmas`s past.

Well, although we naturally grieve for those no longer with us, I suppose all we can do is make the most of our future and give our love to those who are still around us. We have no other choice.

Lost loved ones, human or animal will NEVER be forgotten, it is the cross we have to bear, but life must go on and as we only come this way once, then LET US ENJOY IT !

My own attitude to Christmas is that it is a Mid-Winter festival to brighten our lives during the worst part of the year. It means absolutely a BIG zero in terms of any religious connotations, I am not a believer in fairy stories. Just an annual jolly of jingle bells, tinsel and mutual happiness.
John Bull

John Bull
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:38 AM
What a lovely post John, beautifully said.

Neither of my parents are alive now sadly. I lost my Dad on Christmas Eve many years ago and my Mam (and last Rottie) both on the same day in January a few years back. It is a difficult time of year for me. However, I have always felt Christmas is a magical time of year and I absolutely adore it.

I must admit - I don't know how our poor tree is going to cope with Lola this year!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
These replies are so much from the heart. Memories of loved pets gone and loved pets present, memories of absent friends and family, it is such a human tale of emotion.

Quite honestly, I find Christmas a very sad time and also New Year`s Eve, but I cannot help reflecting on previous occasions when so much happiness was given to me by my pets and people who are no longer here.

Yes a good old knees-up and drunken jolly with family and friends, partying or making a stupid fuss of our pets, makes Christmas a wonderful event and that is what it is supposed to be, but lurking in the background are the memories of Christmas`s past.

Well, although we naturally grieve for those no longer with us, I suppose all we can do is make the most of our future and give our love to those who are still around us. We have no other choice.

Lost loved ones, human or animal will NEVER be forgotten, it is the cross we have to bear, but life must go on and as we only come this way once, then LET US ENJOY IT !
My own attitude to Christmas is that it is a Mid-Winter festival to brighten our lives during the worst part of the year. It means absolutely a BIG zero in terms of any religious connotations, I am not a believer in fairy stories. Just an annual jolly of jingle bells, tinsel and mutual happiness.
John Bull

John Bull
How right you are there John, and having just lost dear old mum only a month ago, this will be my very first Christmas without her too, but I'm sure she'll want me to raise a glass to her on Christmas morning, as she too, adored Christmas and we had her with us here for the past 3 years, so that'll be an even bigger loss for me to bear on Christmas morning, but then again,knowing her, I'm sure she'll be sat somewhere in the corner just like my dear old Cassie will, I'm gonna look at it that way!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6