Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
The dog just seems to have finally settled, it may be coincidence, it may be connected to the two stims he has had.

Frankly, I don't care what caused what, as long as boys are happy and getting along well and enjoying life, which they are.

Can't ask for more than that
If you don't know the cause of something, then you won't know how to stop it happening in the future as you won't have pinpointed the problem and won't have worked through it or know how to avoid it - therefore your dogs will end up being back the way they were before you started electrocuting them which will end up as a vicious cycle and you'll be stuck in the middle of it...sad really.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry, this thread is now 10 pages longer than when I had a quick look in my lb. There is no way I can even begin to answer all your questions. If anyone has a specific question, could they please copy and paste it into a pm, I'm sorry but I've only just got back from a long day, I'm downing a glass of vino and then going to bed.

I am not using avoidance tactics, just cannot cope with what are undoubtedly a load of questions!
Well, Ive posted mine a few times so I will just say they are on page 69.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
The dog just seems to have finally settled, it may be coincidence, it may be connected to the two stims he has had.

Frankly, I don't care what caused what, as long as boys are happy and getting along well and enjoying life, which they are.

I can't see how it could be connected to the two shocks your OH gave him - they were for something different. I stopped Loki from jumping on me (by kind means, of course) but that didn't stop him chasing rabbits.

If Ben has now settled then I think it is incredibly sad for him that he wasn't given a good enough chance to work on his recall, using kind methods.

I do think you could work on him allowing you/your OH to gently touch his neck/collar - by kind methods, so that he comes to trust that your hands on him are nothing to fear and can be enjoyable. Or anyone else's hands, for that matter. I did this with Loki from early on and we've never had a problem - which has turned out to be a very good thing when I've had to haul him out of rivers and streams after he became stuck. I'd also massively reward as many positive interactions with Tai as you can.

I'm sorry, this thread is now 10 pages longer than when I had a quick look in my lb. There is no way I can even begin to answer all your questions. If anyone has a specific question, could they please copy and paste it into a pm, I'm sorry but I've only just got back from a long day, I'm downing a glass of vino and then going to bed.

I am not using avoidance tactics, just cannot cope with what are undoubtedly a load of questions!
Because of this, I've changed my mind and cannot see any useful purpose in the thread being kept going and now I think it should be locked.

It is a very long thread and there are lots of questions - thanks, Gnasher, for answering my last one; enjoy your wine.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Frankly, I don't care what caused what
, as long as boys are happy and getting along well and enjoying life, which they are.

Hmmm, yes, we gathered that.

Maybe YOU (not your OH) should spend time with your dogs during week (as well as weekends) and perhaps TRAIN them as well. Do you do any training at all with them or is it just your OH? If the answer is very little to no training, then it's also hardly surprising they b*gger off. Sounds like you don't really have much of a relationship with your dogs, quite honestly.

Same with your OH otherwise he wouldn't have used an electric shock collar on one of them.

Many of us work FT (me included) but still manage to train/walk our dogs and form a bond and an understanding with them.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL-----I have Zeff tonight---do I need a magic button----will he kill me as I sleep???

rune
nah... coz zeff is a real wolfdog
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Gnasher no offense but we care enough to ask, you dont care 'what caused what' that really is sad. We are asking to offer suggestions that will help your dogs and in turn you and your family. The fact that you 'dont care' really is a let down (for all concerned) You were bound to know that by posting this 'topic' (right after AP was told he couldnt post on other peoples threads, yet before he was banned) you would be openeing yourself up to a long, contraversial thread with plenty questions.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:52 PM

From the training or lack of, that you have given Ben, how you can surmise that two shocks, mean Ben has suddenly stopped all behaviours that you didn't want, without actually teaching him anything.

Your faith in this wonder, cure all collar scares me, you or rather your husband, have pushed the button a few times, and you think that this is honestly training a dog.

Even E collar trainers, actually train and teach the dog the required behaviour

I'm not going to PM, as then there is little point in keeping the thread open is there? In fact I still can't understand what this thread has achieved, except upset most members of the forum, given you loads of attention, and really made you look like you
A) don't really understand dogs
B) have dog that is a type of crossbreed that isn't suitable for you and your family
C) have taken the quick fix route, but not fixed anything, might in the future make things worse
and
D)taken a rescued dog, from a bad, abusive background, and then punished it with an electric collar, for displaying behaviours, that can be worked on using kinder methods, and management.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
if two stims on a walk have made a dog so withdrawn that its whole behaviour indoors has changed than I would be very wary. Wary of the collar & wary of his health. I would certainly care why this change had come about.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Gnasher I am not at all surprised you are avoiding answering awkward questions about Ben's training , it is clearly so much easier for you to talk about yourselves and give flippant replies instead.

I made a post containing lots of questions here which many members would like the answer to ...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...80#post2200980
You started the thread, the least you can do is to respond to a few questions otherwise there is no point in the thread remaining open .

Why should people have to ask questions by PM ? This is a forum, all members are entitled to ask questions and respond on the forum when someone starts a thread...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:00 PM

However, things took an extremely bad turn for the worse. Ben went for my husband, did not bite him, but it was serious. It was due to Ben having had a very bad first 3 years of life where clearly he had not only been kept on a running line in the back garden, but had been beaten, kicked or struck in some way, following someone grabbing his collar and then hurting him. OH took hold of his collar too robustly, and Ben went for him. In addition to this, he and Tai were having terrible fights, serious fights where Tai always got injured.
You know, I had a mongrel that came to me at around the age of 5/6. He was a lovely lad, such a character and we loved him dearly.

One hot day, he was outside under a nice cool bush and after calling him, my OH at the time went to take him by the collar to get him out from the bush (we had to go out). He did get bitten for his effort. We did not even view that as serious, although Toby was told off and sent to his bed. He had never done it before and never did it again. My OH was stupid - hot day; hot, grumpy, sleepy dog trying to sleep in a cool place gets grabbed by the collar ... no way in hell would I have considered shocking him.

When you have a dog from a puppy it takes a while to teach that puppy to be a good, well-rounded dog. You know all the things a puppy needs to learn - things like "sit", "stay", "down" not mouthing, "come", walk nicely on the lead, etc. etc.

You have described Ben's dreadful first few years, yet it seems to me that you took this dog and allowed him less time than a fresh puppy would get to learn the ropes, yet this dog needed an extra allowance in terms of time and training because of his past. You needed to turn him around but he never had the chance.
Closed Thread
Page 82 of 83 « First < 32 72 79 80 81 82 83 >