Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Two bitches together?

Hi everyone

How many of you have bitches close together in age and have you ever had any problems ie fighting or dominance?

many thanks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I have two, they are mother and daughter, with two years between them,
I have not had problems with them, that said I do have loads of years experience in dogs and I did run a training club,

Much depends on the dogs in question I would think
Do you plan on adding another bitch to your family? if so how old is your dog, what are you thinking about getting, eg....a pup? a rescue?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi,

I have 2 dogs and 2 bitches, ranging from 2 years 5 months to 19 weeks.

I also have a rescue dog back with me as her new home turned out to be unsuitable (Tess). Tess will be 2 in September and Ellie was 2 years old at the end of April. Surprisingly, the 3 bitches get on like a house on fire. They play together, eat together etc. having said that, The 2 boys (Zane and Yiannis) will accept any dog at all but Tess doens't like them. I thought I'd have a problem with her and Ellie but it seems to have worked in reverse.

Still, she's improved since she came to me the first time and with a bit of hard work, she will no doubt accept the 2 boys.

She has been described as dog aggressive but it's not like proper aggression. It's very much a case of just not knowing how to behave properly around other dogs.

My family whilst I was growing up always had combinations of dogs and bitches together. I don't remember any drastic fights as such although there were minor squabbles and disagreements, which I think you can expect if you have 2 or more dogs in any case.

I think very much so that it depends on the dogs involved, whether they are dog friendly, whether they prefer the company of other bitches or other dogs, what their background or life experineces with other dogs is like and how they''ve been raised or trained.

It certainly isn't a case of all male dogs will fight with other male dogs or all bitches will fall out with other bitches.

Laura xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I have 3 bitches here - 1 thats 10, one thats 8 and one that is 3 - two are neutered one is entire.

I do get some posturing between the 3 and 8 year old if they have been separated for any length of time.

But no aggression issues etc. (I also have an entire male dog)

I think it depends on a lot of things when you are looking to add a new dog to a situation.
Laine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:06 AM
thank you.

I already have a 7mth old beardie and have the chance of possibly getting another bitch beardie with only a few weeks apart in age.

My worry is that they could both potentially come into season around the same time and although I am going to have my bitch spayed, I have to wait until she has had her first season.

I am at home all day and the dogs would never be left on their own together.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I have two bitches.. 1 large and 1 small that are a year apart in age, the small one being the elder.

When they were younger they had a couple of set twos.. usually over a toy or chewy. But then we introduced a male large breed dog, when the girls were 1 and 2, she (the larger bitch) takes her anoyances out on him and doesn`t bother the small girl at all. So i can`t really comment on how they would be now (4 and 5 years old) if it was just the 2 of them.

Edited to add.. they paid no attention to each other when they were in season.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
thank you.

I already have a 7mth old beardie and have the chance of possibly getting another bitch beardie with only a few weeks apart in age.

My worry is that they could both potentially come into season around the same time and although I am going to have my bitch spayed, I have to wait until she has had her first season.

I am at home all day and the dogs would never be left on their own together.
I dont have bitches together , but have many friends who do, on has 8

The thing with bitches is they can get along in harmony for many yrs and never have a cross word, but the trouble is , if one takes a dislike to another for what ever reason (and it can happen in the most experienced of homes) then its more than likely going to be a dislike for life, and when bitches do take a dislike to each other its "war" they never forgive or forget and in some cases can end in very serious results, and for may who do find themselves in this position they will have to re home one of the bitches unless you can guarantee , you can keep them separate forever.

the problems in your situation will be they will both be maturing at the same time, so no already set hierarchy , and if they are equally matched in temperament, and neither concedes to the other, you may have problems.

But , that the worse scenario, like I said, many many people never have a problem with multiple bitches, and to be honest it will boil down to you having to "suck it and see" !

Whats your present bitches temperament like now, (I know she is still a pup) but how does she react around other dogs, is she bossy, submissive , easy going and so forth, do you know the temperament of the other bitch.

Its one of those things that can go wrong but hopefully wont, and in most cases never does, but if it does , you have serious problems.

Good luck,
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I've had many bitches living together and never once had them fight...a couple of people have two litter sisters from two of my litters, they adore each other and there is never a cross word, they are coming up 4 and the others are 5.

I do think it's because they are English Setters who, in the main, adore everything and everybody
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I've got 2 bitches together, both spaniels, Gracie will be 3 in June, Misty 2 in August.

They are kenneled together, walked together (except from when I am training), fed together and I've not had any issues. Misty had her first season when Gracie came into season, but so far that has been the only time they have been intogether, but I still have to walk the one not in season seperatly from the boys!

There have been a couple of scraps, mostly over dead pheasants that one of them have found, and the other wants.

They are so different in personalities, so there isn't really anything to clash over.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 11:34 AM
We have 3 bitches and 1 male.

Two bitches spayed the third will be done when she is the right age.

Ive had as many as 4 bitches in my time and have not experienced fighting, but what I will say is that when bitches do decide that something has truely upset them, they will fight to the death this is a known fact

But yes bitches can live together in harmony, but as I say if the balance slides then you can have problems
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >