Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
i have a english mastiff after numours times she damaged her tail in the end she had it took off
'
but if you had a chioce of 2 litters of doby,s one docked and one undocked wich would you choose ?
The undocked every time.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 02:04 PM
true
some certain breeds have different health problams to others so if crossed it could ilimenate the health issue
and to the surpluse dogs well even top breedere have puppies born with slight deformatys and they still get rehomed all i was trying to say if ppl wanted to it can be achived and we have been cross breeding for centurys thats how all the breeds we have to day came about
and dont all breeders breed there dogs to be pleaseing to the eye
I don't agree on cross breeding dogs to get them to be born without tails,that's our choice not the dogs.
Yes you could very well breed out some problems but introduce even more health issues.Out crossing is a risk,the fault maybe a recessive gene but if both dogs carry it then chances are you could introduce this fault into your breeding programme.
No i don't agree that dogs are bred purely to be pleasing to the eye,responsible breeders do alot of research,breeding for type temperament and quality,not so they look good to the eye.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:15 PM
and dont you think breeders have allready created lots of breeds with health problams
Think about what you just said thier staffer

So why would you want to carry on breeding more health problems
and the only reasons dogs suffer so many more health problems today is because people what to breed for comestic reasons without regards to the dogs itself, or preserving the orignal breeds, only wanting to change them for the worse

Look at the british bulldog, the show world has changed these dogs in to the canine cripple where u need to wipe its bottom after the toliet, you can cripple a dog physically but the sadest part of it all is you wont cripple the dogs mind and it proberly thinks it can bait a bull (which i dont agree with before u all jump) but because of the comestic reasons then it cannot all because of the wonderful mankind

sorry but the tail is the apart of the spine, why would you want to mess around with it, leave it alone before we damage our dogs even more than they are
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post

So why would you want to carry on breeding more health problems
and the only reasons dogs suffer so many more health problems today is because people what to breed for comestic reasons without regards to the dogs itself, or preserving the orignal breeds, only wanting to change them for the worse

Look at the british bulldog, the show world has changed these dogs in to the canine cripple where u need to wipe its bottom after the toliet, you can cripple a dog physically but the sadest part of it all is you wont cripple the dogs mind and it proberly thinks it can bait a bull (which i dont agree with before u all jump) but because of the comestic reasons then it cannot all because of the wonderful mankind

sorry but the tail is the apart of the spine, why would you want to mess around with it, leave it alone before we damage our dogs even more than they are
I wouldn't really say the Bulldog is the 'canine cripple' of the dog world just because you need to wipe their bottoms after the toilet.
Bulldog breeders are not the problem here it's the standard & those that create that standard not the breeders, all the breeders do is adhere to the standard outlined to the best of their abilities..
Many other breeds need to have their bottoms wiped after they have been to the toilet - even those with tails (mostly longhaired dogs, such as Poodles, Yorkies, etc..)

Another thing I meant to add was you don't need to Cross a Bullmastiff sometimes occasionally they can be born with 'screw tails' and I have seen one Bullmastiff with this, although a Bullmastiff with a screw tail is considered to be a fault in the show ring..
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Nicci_L;866255]
I wouldn't really say the Bulldog is the 'canine cripple' of the dog world just because you need to wipe their bottoms after the toilet

There are other 30 health problems with this breed, so no this alone is not the only reason why

Bulldog breeders are not the problem here it's the standard & those that create that standard not the breeders, all the breeders do is adhere to the standard outlined to the best of their abilities..
IMO ONLY i cannot understand people who breed bristish bulldogs to this standard, surely they are aware of the fact that they have so many health problems

Many other breeds need to have their bottoms wiped after they have been to the toilet - even those with tails (mostly longhaired dogs, such as Poodles, Yorkies, etc..)
my grandad on my stepfather side has had mini poodles all his life and he never wiped his poodles bum he is in his 80's and has owned more that 20

My saint bernard was a very long haired also had a very hairy bum lol. never wiped his bottom

not saying it doesnt happen nicci, but do u think that orignally that the bulldog had to have it bum wiped?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:54 PM
There are other 30 health problems with this breed, so no this alone is not the only reason why
There are also numerous problems with other breeds so lets not go there...

IMO ONLY i cannot understand people who breed bristish bulldogs to this standard, surely they are aware of the fact that they have so many health problems
No one is asking you to understand, no one has asked you to own a Bulldog and until you did you wouldn't know what some of these dogs are actually capable of..I think sometimes you go a little OTT.

my grandad on my stepfather side has had mini poodles all his life and he never wiped his poodles bum he is in his 80's and has owned more that 20
My gran bred and showed Toy Poodles for over 40 years, she did extremely well with her dogs and yes she did have to wipe their bottoms.

My saint bernard was a very long haired also had a very hairy bum lol. never wiped his bottom
I owned a St Bernard and admit to having to also wipe his bottom!

not saying it doesnt happen nicci, but do u think that orignally that the bulldog had to have it bum wiped?
I wouldn't know Hayley, I don't have the answers to that question I didn't live 100's of years ago...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Sorry gotta say this but shifting the blame to people who make the breed standard almost sounds like a get out clause for the breeder...
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 04:33 PM
It's NOT the breeders that set the standards though is it? All reputable breeders do is adhere to the standards that are written out - how is that shifting the blame?
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I think if breeding could have produced a short tail it would've happened before now.
but it has i.e the bull dog
and sometimes you get neopoltain mastiffs ,bull mastiffs,dogue de berdoux,gt danes born with rosette tails
and probably more breeds as well
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
The undocked every time.
i would go for docked breeds al the time
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »