View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:24 PM
All I think of when I hear the term "mongrel" is a sweet, scrappy little chap with a perma-wag and smile. What's derogatory about that!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:27 PM
yeh that would be good is it being trained like a guide dog? or an assistance dog because my mum plans on training her dog to be qualified support dog but the main things which she needs her for and will use her for is a guide dog(obviously she needs her to be able to go into shops and other places)
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:39 PM
it really annoys me when people looking for a dog get cr**ped on by these con artists. yet equally it annoys me that people are enthusiastic enough to buy a dog and not enthusiastic enough to read up on the facts first

talk about no win situation!

ive come across SO many people who want a pug [for example], that say to me "I was going to buy a black one, but ive been on the internet and ive found a couple who breed special white pugs, and even chocolate brown ones"

GRRRR!! I cant help but think these people have more money than sense.

anyway so as not to go too far off topic... I feel quite left out. What funny name can I give a GSD x Rottie? Grottweiler ?

spose she'll just have to be my Millie
*nods*
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:41 PM
that was a joke by the way ! dont shout at me, LOL

she was an 'accident' i rescued from a shelter just after christmas
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:44 PM
lol at grottweiler! did i read you got her from second chance? i used to work there
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by SKing87 View Post
it really annoys me when people looking for a dog get cr**ped on by these con artists. yet equally it annoys me that people are enthusiastic enough to buy a dog and not enthusiastic enough to read up on the facts first
I've mentioned earlier in this thread about the media influencing people. I think we need to look deeper than just seeing all these people buying dogs and not having a clue about their upkeep. Behind all the stories you see on TV and the press there is usually some manipulating PR person. So when you see some New York bimbo comming out of a hotel carrying a little dog you can be sure the PR (wo)man has got all the right angles to make it look good and of course the naive Joe Public swallows it all and gets the idea that they can do the same.

So SKing87, I get annoyed like you at seeing people taken in by the unscrupulous breeders, but I also get annoyed at how easily folk are influenced (By the media) to go down a certain route. It's not like we are talking about an inanimate object here, I really don't care if they waste their money on an expensive car or house or whatever, but we're talking about a living creature here and one who will be faithful to the end through thick & thin. Out of all the worlds billion or so humans, you'd be hard pressed to find many that want so little and give so much.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I have said on here a million times in the past I dont have a problem with people breeding crosses as long as they do everything right, health tests, knowing the history, not breeding from suspect dogs, looking after pups and taking them back if needs be and all the other stuff that makes a good breeder, including charging a realistic price.

Sadly there is to many people keen to make a quick buck and charging over the odds, and not really caring for the pups. But having said that I dont think that just applys to x breeds there is many breeders of pure breeds/pedigrees who are just as bad.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
yeh that would be good is it being trained like a guide dog? or an assistance dog because my mum plans on training her dog to be qualified support dog but the main things which she needs her for and will use her for is a guide dog(obviously she needs her to be able to go into shops and other places)
The pup is being specifically trained to be a Guide Dog. I'll try and find out for you, but I suspect it is a charity that just does guides, not support dogs. Support dogs is probably your mum's best bet. There was a lady on here trained her assistnace dog through a charity, maybe worth doing a search as I can'tr remember what her name was...
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
lol at grottweiler! did i read you got her from second chance? i used to work there
yeah shes from second chance
there were loads of pups there, most had gone by the time we got there but people were clearly too scared to go home with a german shepherd :P
idlejune
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I have said on here a million times in the past I dont have a problem with people breeding crosses as long as they do everything right, health tests, knowing the history, not breeding from suspect dogs, looking after pups and taking them back if needs be and all the other stuff that makes a good breeder, including charging a realistic price.

Sadly there is to many people keen to make a quick buck and charging over the odds, and not really caring for the pups. But having said that I dont think that just applys to x breeds there is many breeders of pure breeds/pedigrees who are just as bad.
Well said, too many sanctimonious people commenting. A dogs a dog for all that. A pedigree does not make a dog good or bad, it's a piece of paper, a family tree and not always kosha. pedigree dogs have their own problems. Some breeders care about their dogs and the people who have them and some do not.
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >